PDA

View Full Version : Podcast: Hot Jupiters and Pulsar Planets

Fraser
2006-Sep-26, 02:42 PM
You have lived on the Earth all your life, so you’d think you know plenty about planets. As usual though, the Universe is stranger than we assume, and the planets orbiting other stars defy our expectations. Gigantic super-Jupiters whirling around their parent stars every couple of days; fluffy planets with the density of cork; and Earth-sized fragments of exploded stars circling pulsars. Join us as we round up the latest batch of bizarro worlds.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/09/26/podcast-hot-jupiters-and-pulsar-planets/)

GOURDHEAD
2006-Sep-27, 01:34 PM
Great podcast! Thanks!

In the podcast it was asserted that planets that orbit pulsars were formed post supernovae. My knee-jerk response is that planets orbiting 0.5 AU (depending on the size of the pre-supernova) from the primary would survive, although severly scorched, the event. Why do those who know more than me about such events think planets could not survive? What observations determine which is the case?

Duane
2006-Sep-28, 03:54 AM
I quite enjoyed that podcast!

t@nn
2006-Sep-29, 05:04 AM
Great podcast! Thanks!

In the podcast it was asserted that planets that orbit pulsars were formed post supernovae. My knee-jerk response is that planets orbiting 0.5 AU (depending on the size of the pre-supernova) from the primary would survive, although severly scorched, the event. Why do those who know more than me about such events think planets could not survive? What observations determine which is the case?

The supernova explosion jettisons any previously existing planets into space.