PDA

View Full Version : Oppy photo- what is that in the distance?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Sep-28, 10:08 AM
Can someone tell me what that is in the distance of this Opportunity photo? Is it another crater? It looks huge, whatever it is...

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/950/1P212524402EFF76CNP2386L7M1.JPG

Cugel
2006-Sep-28, 11:56 AM
It is the eroded rim of this 'Big Crater'. About 20 to 25 km down the road.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sfjcody2/route_to_big.jpg

antoniseb
2006-Sep-28, 12:12 PM
Maybe more like 15 km down the road, but yes. It is "Big Crater"'s, rim.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2006-Sep-28, 12:16 PM
so Oppy probably can't reach it??? That's long way to go...several years drive

antoniseb
2006-Sep-28, 12:37 PM
It isn't clear whether Oppy can reach it. The first several kilometers will be more of the Dunes that were problematic, but after that it looks like most of the terrain is the mixed dune/salt flats that Oppy could go 70 or 80 meters a day on.

Kullat Nunu
2006-Sep-28, 02:35 PM
BTW, the small crater north from Victoria is Endurance crater. It is really puny compared to Victoria. The big crater is really huge, but unfortunately it is too far from Victoria I'm afraid.

If there is a safe path down, Opportunity will most likely be driven into Victoria--even if it gets trapped into it. Opportunity was "expendable" even when it went into Endurance crater, and that was over two years ago.

I don't believe that Opportunity's wheels could work all that way to the Big crater. It would be great to see the hills up close, though.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-28, 02:43 PM
I find it absurd that the folks over at UMSF are plotting a trip to "Big Crater," but then I laughed at the ones over there who thought at least one of the rovers would make it to Sol 1000 (this was around Sol 300), and now it seems almost a given.

antoniseb
2006-Sep-28, 02:49 PM
I also doubted that they'd get to Victoria. At this point, all I can say is that if Opportunity is still mobile after exploring Victoria, then it is worth a shot at trying to get to 'Big Crater'. If it goes lame or uncommunicative along the way, nothing is lost.

tlbs101
2006-Sep-28, 02:58 PM
I would imagine it would take much more than a year to get to "Big crater", but it's not like JPL is going to take a few photos of the inside of Victoria from the rim, and keep going. Oppy will probably spend a good year in, and around Victoria. Bless her little silicon FPGA heart(s), if she lasts longer than her Victoria campaign.

What's JPL going to do, when one or both of the rovers are still going when MSL lands??? Now THERE is a dilemma!

Nicolas
2006-Sep-28, 03:05 PM
I've got two words for you

Robot Wars

Kullat Nunu
2006-Sep-28, 06:03 PM
I wonder what Opportunity can do in Victoria if it can descent there. Based on a quick look on the images, there are some huge cliffs but not easily traversable/inspectable outcrops like was the case in Endurance crater.

ToSeek
2006-Sep-28, 06:24 PM
I wonder what Opportunity can do in Victoria if it can descent there. Based on a quick look on the images, there are some huge cliffs but not easily traversable/inspectable outcrops like was the case in Endurance crater.

Looks to me as if Oppy should be able to get to the outcrop in the center of this image. (http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=7742)

Kullat Nunu
2006-Sep-28, 06:51 PM
Looks like that's the road down.

Kullat Nunu
2006-Sep-28, 07:02 PM
Looks like the cliff in the image is 6.3 m in height! It's still hard to gauge the size of the crater based on these images...

badprof
2006-Sep-28, 07:58 PM

Robot Wars

Like this??

:shifty:

tlbs101
2006-Sep-28, 08:27 PM

Robot Wars

Like this??

It won't work... MSL is in the heavyweight division, while the MER's are in the middle-weight division.

Nicolas
2006-Sep-28, 09:36 PM
That is "Sir MSL" for you ;)

Cugel
2006-Sep-29, 02:22 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/ithaca2.jpg

As you can see in this image those hills are most likely the south-eastern rim of big crater, some 35 km. away.

Credit: Ustrax, UMSF