PDA

View Full Version : I have a stupid astronomy question....

ObiWan377
2003-May-04, 01:38 AM
I was just outside and took a quick peek at the stars. I noticed that the moon was near toward to the west, near where the sun sets. Last time i've seen it, it was in the East. Is this normal? If your looking for location, i'm in the Hudson Valley in New York.

I know this may be a stupid question, but I know little to nothing about astronomy so I figured i'd ask you guys, you knowing this stuff better then me.

ToSeek
2003-May-04, 02:09 AM
I just saw a crescent New Moon this evening. The Moon just recently went past the Sun, so several days ago it would have been on the west side of the Sun and therefore visible around sunrise, in the East. If you continue to watch, you'll see the Moon work its way from the west to the east over the next few weeks, rising later and later as it does so, until it's once again only visible early in the morning.

Dickenmeyer
2003-May-04, 05:19 AM
It rises almost an hour later each day, until it works its way around the clock as well as across the sky, like ToSeek said. Don't think your question is stupid, a lot of people don't ever really look at the sky at all. You deserve big points for noticing the change.

tvelocity
2003-May-04, 06:07 AM
To quote one of my H.S. science teachers, "...the only stupid question is one that isn't asked." That's what the BABB is here for.

irony
2003-May-04, 02:30 PM
To quote one of my H.S. science teachers, "...the only stupid question is one that isn't asked." That's what the BABB is here for.

My geography teacher said that once. Then he unrolled a map of Europe, and some wiseass stuck his hand up and asked, "what's all the blue stuff?"

RMallon
2003-May-04, 02:40 PM
Someone reported hearing a surprised comment of, "You mean the moon is visible during the day?" :roll: :o

Zamboni
2003-May-04, 05:36 PM
My geography teacher said that once. Then he unrolled a map of Europe, and some wiseass stuck his hand up and asked, "what's all the blue stuff?"

Ink.