PDA

View Full Version : My geekhood now has tenure...

Charlie in Dayton
2006-Oct-03, 08:26 AM
About 3:30 ayem on Tuesday, October 3. Some of the regulars are going back'n'forth on PalTalk. Fidelio asks whether or not I've got anything new for science podcasts to play in the room. Turns out I do...

The latest edition of The Planetary Society (http://www.planetary.org/home/) podcast had been published the previous afternoon -- I'd just downloaded it earlier, (http://www.planetary.org/radio/show/00000204/) and hadn't had a chance to listen to it yet. So it got fired up, and we all sat back to listen to the latest from outer space.

It was a pleasant interview, with details of just what it takes to blow up a star (seriously). There were the regular weekly comments from other contributors, the weekly sky report was given (Jupiter is falling fast in the evening twilight, Saturn is now an early morning object, the others are a bit close to the Sun now), and then came the part I was sorta kinda waiting for...the weekly Trivia Contest. (http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/planetary_radio_trivia/)

I've been entering the contest for a couple months now...but ya coulda knocked me over with a photon when MY name got announced as the winner for this week!!! Hot damn -- I got me a Planetary Society T shirt!! I have won an astronomical podcast trivia contest! My geekhood is now official!

Monster binoculars...free dinner and lecture at ScopeOut...double handful of usable eyepieces in a free junk box...magazine submission being considered for print...trivia contest winner...free T shirt...

You just watch...the engine in my car is gonna explode the day after the warranty expires...the IRS is gonna call for a "little chat"...something...this kind of karma can't go on much longer...

Fidelio
2006-Oct-03, 08:40 AM
Well sir I hope you are pleased with your self. You have just personally sucked the "luck" out of your part of the state for what I estimate to be around 150 years. Good goin' buster!

I continue to cordially hate you,

Fidelio

hhEb09'1
2006-Oct-03, 01:55 PM
Wow, the vortex seems to have pulled some here down from Georgia. Thanks Fidelio :)

Charlie, was your question the names of the quarks?

clop
2006-Oct-03, 02:00 PM
What does "hot damn" mean?

clop

hhEb09'1
2006-Oct-03, 02:11 PM
Same as "hot d*rn"

Charlie in Dayton
2006-Oct-04, 01:40 AM
Wow, the vortex seems to have pulled some here down from Georgia. Thanks Fidelio :)

Charlie, was your question the names of the quarks?

Yep...I got the six 'flavors', and also that two of the six have been renamed (and I dug up those original names).

I am officially a nuclear particulate geekophysicist!

...I have no life...

hhEb09'1
2006-Oct-04, 08:56 AM
I am officially a nuclear particulate geekophysicist!a real quarker!

remind me, which two have been renamed, and why wasn't there a contest for it?

Charlie in Dayton
2006-Oct-05, 08:41 AM
Top and Bottom were originally named Truth and Beauty. Why and when they were renamed is up to someone else to figger out...