PDA

View Full Version : Sagitta & Vulpecula Milkyway

Keith g
2006-Oct-10, 07:05 PM
Hi all, Here is a lesser known area of the Summer Milkyway that's not observed as much as other area's, it's the constellations Sagitta and Vulpecula, smack bang in the middle between Altair and Cygnus. I manged to get a few shots under very good skies before the dew got me, I had to keep the exposure times down because light pollution would have got me as well

I'm dissappointed it's not brighter, I only got 13 shots and 10 darks at ISO800. I've labelled it as it does'nt look that spectacular on it's own, there's M27, the famous Dumbell Nebula, M71 - a lovely globular cluster, and the 'Coat Hanger' cluster which is superb in binoculars. You can see some dust lanes centre and upper centre also in this shot. I'll try for much better, and many more shots from a dark site one night to come...
Hope you like the view...
Keith..
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g172/Keithg1_photos/?action=view&current=SagittaVulpeculaMWweblabelled.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Galactic2000
2006-Oct-10, 08:03 PM
Very nice widefield image Keith,

You did a good job capturing and highlighting the areas of interest....this would make a great finder chart for those with a pair of binos.

Nice work!

reckless
2006-Oct-10, 08:47 PM
Hi Keith

There's a lot more data in the image than you think. I've taken the liberty of further processing the image using Photoshop and NeatImage. I'm sure the originals would yield even better results.

An excellent shot by the way.

Cheers from Scotland.

Eric

ToSeek
2006-Oct-11, 02:25 PM
Original and "upgrade" both pretty cool!

Keith g
2006-Oct-11, 09:31 PM
Thanks Guys! Eric, you really brought out a lot more detail there! How did you do it??

Keith..

reckless
2006-Oct-11, 09:47 PM
Hi Keith

To paraphrase the legendary golfer Gary Player .... "the more I practise, the luckier I get"!

I have an excellent image processing tutorial (can't remember where I got it) and also just experiment with my own images. I recently improved a Milky Way image I originally posted on this messageboard and applied my learnings to your image - they worked.

Cheers

Eric