PDA

View Full Version : New Telescope Will Search for Asteroids and Map Out the Universe

Fraser
2006-Oct-13, 07:02 PM
A newly built observatory on Maui is getting ready to release a flood of astronomical data. The 1.8 metre Pan-STARRS telescope will perform an automated search for asteroids that threaten the Earth. While it's searching for asteroids, the telescope will also build up one of the most detailed maps of our surrounding Universe. Researchers will use this data to create a 3-dimensional map of galaxies and dark matter, and measure the properties of the dark energy accelerating the expansion of the Universe.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/10/13/new-telescope-will-search-for-asteroids-and-map-out-the-universe/)

antoniseb
2006-Oct-14, 11:04 AM
It will be interesting to see how many new Earth-crossing asteroids it finds each month. We should be getting to a point where most of the larger ones are known.

Slobodan
2006-Oct-15, 11:06 PM
Quote:
"Astronomers from several major research institutions around the world, including three in the UK, have signed an agreement to exploit a revolutionary new survey telescope sited in Hawaii which is expected to discover billions of new stars, galaxies and solar system objects, and to identify potential ‘killer asteroids’ that threaten the Earth"

In the story I lack more explanation about why this 1,8 m telescope is so "revolutionary" that it would be able - apart from identifying potential killer asteroids - "to produce 3-dimensional maps of galaxies and dark matter, to measure the properties of the dark energy and to investigate how galaxies have evolved over half the age of the universe". So al this is now possible with only a 1,8 m telescope from Earth - which reads like a new revolutionary generation of telescopes. Should be indeed revolutionary but all that is said is tha "it is equipped with the world’s largest digital camera." and has "cutting-edge imaging capability".

Hamilcar
2006-Oct-23, 11:33 AM
It's amazing what military money can do.

anykey
2007-Jan-01, 10:01 PM
Hi, I was wondering if there will be a computer program to help with the search for asteroids. Kind of like what SETI uses to find radio frequencies from their dishes? I would be happy to use my PC to help you look.