PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Res Vallis Alpes - 1st October

iceman
2006-Oct-16, 09:27 PM
Hi all

Here's a hi-res view of Vallis Alpes, showing the inner rille very clearly and well defined.

It was taken on the 1st October with the moon directly overhead, and seeing at a very nice 7/10.

Thanks for looking!

Dragon Star
2006-Oct-17, 01:32 AM
Very nice! :)

paul f. campbell
2006-Oct-17, 03:42 AM
Hi Mike I cant belive how great this photo is. You can almost reach up and touch it. Its so clear and crisp WOW.

Bokmakierie
2006-Oct-17, 03:50 AM
Mike, this is fantastic!! This has to be the best view of the Alpine Valley that can be obtained with an earth based telescope. It compares very favourably with one taken by Smart-1.
Thanks for sharing.

Phil

Bokmakierie
2006-Oct-17, 03:29 PM
Mike, this is fantastic!! This has to be the best view of the Alpine Valley that can be obtained with an earth based telescope. It compares very favourably with one taken by Smart-1.
Thanks for sharing.

Phil
To highlight Mike's remarkable achievement I have taken the liberty to compare his image with that taken by the ESA Smart-1 from 3000 km above the moon and a resolution of 300 meters per pixel. Truly an amazing feat with a 10" earth-based Dobsonian telescope. Congratulations are certainly in order!!! (3000 feet should read 3000 km on the attached image)

ToSeek
2006-Oct-17, 05:48 PM
Which astronaut said, "We is down among 'em, Charlie!"?

Melusine
2006-Oct-18, 11:38 AM
To highlight Mike's remarkable achievement I have taken the liberty to compare his image with that taken by the ESA Smart-1 from 3000 km above the moon and a resolution of 300 meters per pixel. Truly an amazing feat with a 10" earth-based Dobsonian telescope. Congratulations are certainly in order!!! (3000 feet should read 3000 km on the attached image)
Thanks for putting that together...it definitely highlights Mike's skill and what amateur astronomers are capable of doing.

Great photo! :clap:

ToSeek :Which astronaut said, "We is down among 'em, Charlie!"?

Funny quote.

Apollo 10, launched on May 18, 1969, was a full dress rehearsal of the landing mission and also a reconnaisance mission in which potential landing sites were reconnoitered. After separating from the Command Module named "Charlie Brown" and dropping from lunar orbit at 60 miles down to 50,000 feet, Mission Commander Thomas P. Stafford and Lunar Module Pilot Eugene A. Cernan barnstormed the mountains of the moon at 3,700 mph in their Lunar Module called "Snoopy." As they skimmed over the mountains of the Moon, Gene Cernan called out; "Houston, this is Snoopy! We is Go and we is down among' em, Charlie!"
http://apollo-society.org/shootmoon.html

iceman
2006-Oct-18, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your comments, i've received a lot of positive feedback about this image and it's very humbling.

Thanks for the comparison Phil, very interesting!

kushan
2006-Oct-18, 10:26 PM

Congratulations Mike! Maybe you should design satellite cameras or something :D
If you can image something like this from earth and have it look as good as SMART-1 images...

Bokmakierie
2006-Oct-19, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Mike! Maybe you should design satellite cameras or something :D
If you can image something like this from earth and have it look as good as SMART-1 images...

This is the best I could achieve of the Alpine valley. 9" Dob without a drive and a single shot taken through a 25mm Plossl eyepiece with a Fujifilm Finepix2600 zoom camera. I used a 3x optical zoom for this shot and sharpened the image with Microsoft Picture-It and cleaned it with Noiseware. Mike's image looks even more impressive by the minute.

Phil

Nicolas
2006-Oct-20, 12:35 PM

Here you say km, on the photo you say feet?

Great shot, very impressive!

Bokmakierie
2006-Oct-20, 01:12 PM
Here you say km, on the photo you say feet?

Great shot, very impressive!

Must be kilometers! My apologies.

Phil

suntrack2
2006-Oct-20, 05:10 PM
This is I think a absolutely clear image ever, the patches are quite clear looking in the photo, very nice shot :)

sunil

iceman
2006-Oct-21, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys, it was on LPOD yesterday!