PDA

View Full Version : Killer kimchi in space

Blob
2006-Oct-16, 11:08 PM
South Korea is planning to send kimchi into space in a giant leap for its much-loved national dish.
A state-run food research body is pushing ahead with a plan to develop traditional foods like kimchi, the chili paste "gochujang" and ginseng so that they can be eaten in space, the Yonhap news agency said Monday.
It said the Korea Food Research Institute was working on space food with the cooperation of a culinary institute in Kazakhstan that catered to Russian space crews.

Read more (http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/10/s_korea_to_send_pickle_into_sp.php)

Larry Jacks
2006-Oct-17, 12:37 PM
I love kimchi but it might not be the best food for confined quarters. It has been known to have certain side effects...

NEOWatcher
2006-Oct-17, 12:39 PM
Read more (http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/10/s_korea_to_send_pickle_into_sp.php)
The lack of details has left me unimpressed. All I got out of it was that the S.K.s are adding a few pages to the astrocookbook.
What issues do they need to overcome to include these foods? At 2 years development, I'm sure there's some issues.

JeDi
2006-Oct-17, 04:33 PM
I love kimchi but it might not be the best food for confined quarters.
:D My thought.

It has been known to have certain side effects...
Those can be reduced by addition of several spices, cumin for example. Perhaps this is the subject of the current Korean-Kasakh research. But since cabbage and onions are important components of traditional russian cooking there should already be some results on digestive propulsion. Or rather its prevention. :)

Larry Jacks
2006-Oct-17, 04:36 PM
But since cabbage and onions are important components of traditional russian cooking there should already be some results on digestive propulsion. Or rather its prevention.

Or that may explain the "smell of space" discussed on another thread...

JustAFriend
2006-Oct-25, 01:41 AM
My late Dad used to make killer Sauerkraut in the basement in a large crock.

I don't think fermenting cabbage would be approved on a space flight --- more than once he had a crock of it explode!!

NEOWatcher
2006-Oct-25, 12:05 PM
My late Dad used to make killer Sauerkraut in the basement in a large crock.
I don't think fermenting cabbage would be approved on a space flight --- more than once he had a crock of it explode!!
Mine too, but we never had an explosion. At least not in the crock. :shifty:
Maybe there was leftover pickle residue to prevent that. :think:

I really doubt that they would ferment it in space...........The crock's too heavy for launch. ;)

Maksutov
2006-Oct-27, 08:13 AM
:D My thought.

Those can be reduced by addition of several spices, cumin for example. Perhaps this is the subject of the current Korean-Kasakh research. But since cabbage and onions are important components of traditional russian cooking there should already be some results on digestive propulsion. Or rather its prevention. :)Good idea. Plus if the US or Russia have on board a certain variety of whiskey, they might wind up cumin through the rye.

Doodler
2006-Oct-27, 08:58 PM
Ya know, this after all the grief they give Washington about weaponizing space...

Properly prepared, that stuff'll eat through a hull faster than the lining of your stomach.

Maksutov
2006-Oct-28, 07:41 AM
Ya know, this after all the grief they give Washington about weaponizing space...

Properly prepared, that stuff'll eat through a hull faster than the lining of your stomach.They really want to avoid that, because if it happens, given all the cost overruns, there'll be hull to pay!

http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/a045.gif

mugaliens
2006-Oct-28, 03:13 PM
I enjoy kimchi, provided it's not too spicy...

But when you eat it all the time, you do start smelling rather different to others.