PDA

View Full Version : Frontier Elite in Highres

tofu
2006-Oct-18, 05:34 PM
I bet that nearly everyone here played that amazing DOS game Frontier back in the day. I very nearly did not graduate from high school because of this game.

Well, someone has converted it to OpenGL so that you can play it in high resolution. Check it out

http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hires.html

I haven't gotten it to work yet, but it looks really cool.

jumbo
2006-Oct-18, 10:21 PM
Excellent. Ive been playing First Encounters since it came out. Ive used the program to get in going in windows but it was pretty blocky. Now that might have changed!

It even comes with source code which will be interesting!

(Its also inspired me to attempt writing my own version. Its amazing how technically good the game was and still is. Procedural generation of planets is a vast vast topic and quite an achievement for the time)

jumbo
2006-Oct-19, 11:45 AM
Tried it last night and it works nicely. Ive only played it windowed but a window of 1024*768 looks ok. No jaggedy 1994 pixelation anymore.

Also it lets you set your space colour to a more realistic black rather than the odd blue colour of the original.

Currently wading though the source code. Theres some interesting things in there about what certain missions actually do to your ranks etc

tofu
2006-Oct-19, 01:11 PM
I was able to get it working last night as well. It really does look nice. I can't wait to start trading again! First though, I have to relearn how to fly. How do you set the hover height for the autopilot? I don't see anything about that in the faq.

tofu
2006-Oct-19, 02:54 PM
Did you know that there are over 500 MILLION unique star systems in the Frontier gameworld? It's true!

http://www.jongware.com/galaxy1.html

Pretty amazing considering how old it is.

jumbo
2006-Oct-20, 03:24 PM
I have no idea about setting hover height in the auto pilot. I cant recall ever doing it.

Its a pretty impressive piece of code and has loads of procedural content. IIRC What even more impressive is that Frontier (Though not first encounters from what i understand) was written in assembler on several systems.

Thanks for the link btw lots of reading to do now!

tofu
2006-Oct-20, 04:20 PM
I made a run into Ross 630 last night. There are two red giants orbiting each other, and a little white dwarf off by itself. The dwarf has a single brown dwarf orbiting it, and around that is the only populated world in the system, named Landfall. So I cruise in to Landfall and line up to dock at the station, and as I'm docking, I have this great view of Landfall partly occulting the huge brown dwarf - which has a ring of material around it, like a dark red version of saturn.

Absolutely beautiful!

Lianachan
2006-Oct-28, 10:22 PM
Cheers for this. I've been playing FFE since it came out, and it's great to see it polished up a bit.

In these days of shallow, pretty games which lack real substance there has to be a market for re-visiting the best of the games from the days when you couldn't hide a shallow game behind a pretty visage. There is, for example, a quite outstanding update of The Lords Of Midnight that I regularly play - it's called The War Of The Solstice (http://frozenempire.net/lom/gallery.htm) (edit - those screenshots don't really do it justice, it's much better when you see the snow falling, the light sourcing, etc.. in person!)