PDA

View Full Version : Do You Suffer From Cellphone Deficit Hyperconnectivity Disorder?

Big Brother Dunk
2006-Oct-20, 04:17 AM
If so, then it seems you're not alone.

Of the nearly 1,100 cellphone users polled for the Palm Canada/Leger Marketing study, one in 10 would rather lose their mother-in-law than their phone, while one in 20 would surrender the right to vote before surrendering their mobile. Another three per cent would give up their household pet, two per cent would trade their driver's licence or job for their phone, and one per cent claim they'd give a limb.

Here's the article:
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=0439fc09-8b76-4ba7-8c72-3a485705fc78

For what it's worth, I own a cell phone, but only at my wife's insistence. There have been times when I've had the battery run down without using the phone once.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-20, 04:18 AM
I don't even have one. Those stats are kind of frightening.

soylentgreen
2006-Oct-20, 04:22 AM
For what it's worth, I own a cell phone, but only at my wife's insistence. There have been times when I've had the battery run down without using the phone once.

Same here....except nobody ever believes me. :(

Josh
2006-Oct-20, 04:51 AM
Those stats are frightening! Only one in ten? Sheesh!

EricDerKonig
2006-Oct-20, 09:21 AM
The last 3 calls I received on my cell were on the 19th, the 18th, and the 8th...

Josh
2006-Oct-20, 10:12 AM
at least they weren't from your mother-in-law.

jt-3d
2006-Oct-20, 10:47 AM
I don't have a cell phone. The wife does as does my 17yr old son. I don't, nor do I want one. I'm not that important.

Tog
2006-Oct-20, 12:41 PM
My cell phone is my only phone. I got one about 7 years ago, and the GF and I share a family plan. I actually use it a lot, but seldom for calls.

This one has three different alarms on it. I use one for my alarm clock and have for a very long time. I won't get a new phone without this feature. The other two I use at work for setting wake up calls and the like.

I could get by without it, and forgetting to bring it is not the end of my world, but I do like having it. No, if only I get one with the features I want, rather than what the makers think are cool. (LED flashlight)

Doodler
2006-Oct-20, 01:10 PM
Of the nearly 1,100 cellphone users polled for the Palm Canada/Leger Marketing study, one in 10 would rather lose their mother-in-law than their phone, while one in 20 would surrender the right to vote before surrendering their mobile. Another three per cent would give up their household pet, two per cent would trade their driver's licence or job for their phone, and one per cent claim they'd give a limb.

Not to be too cliche, but that is something of a stacked question. :lol:

Captain Kidd
2006-Oct-20, 01:43 PM
Not to be too cliche, but that is something of a stacked question. :lol:My thought too. The in-law option is like adding a nonsensical option to a web poll, that's the one people will gravitate to.

For the last few years our only phone has been cell phones. The cost is about the same as a hardwired line and it has better mobility. I got fed up with phones when I was job hunting after graduating. I'd be told that a company was going to call me on X day to set up an interview; usually it was anytime during the working hours. Suddenly I was tied to inside the house until they call. Where I was living at the time was dial-up and no call waiting so I couldn't even job hunt online.

I try to be a conscientious user too. My phone rarely gets off of vibrate, so it doesn't ring out loud. If Iím in a store trying to remember what to buy (Iím good at making a shopping list, bad at remembering to bring it) Iíll hang up before I go to the register. I also rarely use speaker unless I just have to, e.g. at home on the computer trying to meet a deadline. I wonít use it at all if anybodyís nearby.

And yes, I turn off the phone, or at least put it on vibrate, when we go to the movies. With having a toddler now, so now the phoneís usually on vibrate in case an emergency crops up and the babysitter needs to get in touch with us. That has happened; it was a horrible movie anyways.

Itís like any other piece of technology. Cell phones arenít inherently bad, thereís just some (many) people that should be denied the use of them.

Gillianren
2006-Oct-20, 08:27 PM
I neither have nor want a cell phone. Frankly, the person who's most likely to call me is also the one I'm most likely to be with if I'm not home. Heck, only three people call me on anything approaching a regular basis anyway!

And, yeah, I know a fair number of people who'd sacrifice their mother-in-law to keep their cell phone. The person I'm most likely to be with would, not that she and her boyfriend are married yet. But then, he'd sacrifice his mother, too--as would I. She's just a horrible person.

Swift
2006-Oct-20, 08:42 PM
I like my cell phone, though I probably use it about once a day at most. I certainly wouldn't trade my mother-in-law (I actually like her), a pet, or a limb for it. 1% would trade a limb!?!?! I really find that hard to believe.

OptimusShr
2006-Oct-20, 09:01 PM
I do not have a cell phone. I have only needed a cell phone on three occasions in the last few years and do not see the point of owning one.

Donnie B.
2006-Oct-20, 09:03 PM
Well, if you go by the cultural stereotype... a lot more than one in ten people would give up their mother-in-law for, say, the contents of their stuffy nose.
:think:

Dragon Star
2006-Oct-20, 09:07 PM
at least they weren't from your mother-in-law.

Okay, that got me, I laughed. :D

cjl
2006-Oct-21, 06:52 AM
I have a cell phone, but only use it rarely. Once or twice a week is normal. I would give it up in a heartbeat if there was any reason to - I mainly carry it for emergencies.

Serenitude
2006-Oct-21, 07:43 AM
I have to have either my cell or landline free at all times for my job, and can get called at any time, day or night, for either questions from my staff or to be called in in an emergency. I tell you, I get anxiety sometimes, like when having a nice dinner out with the wife, or some other special occasion, anxiety that that phone is going to ring. I despise speaking on the telephone in general, and I detest the reality of being available 24 hours a day :wall:

Captain Kidd
2006-Oct-22, 02:47 AM
Yeah, one of the reasons I didn't stay with my company. The couple jobs offered me were on-call types. One was 24/7 year-long, although you could drink alocohol and thus be unfit for duty so they'd call your backup. The other involved pager-duty emergency response stuff. You had the pager 2 weeks at a time and couldn't do anything to make yourself unfit for duty nor be more than 30 minutes from the command center. Uh, yeah, sorry; wife, kids, and grandparents that live 0 miles away. Ain't gonna happen.

yuzuha
2006-Oct-22, 04:06 AM
Don't own one and don't answer my landline half the time... just not a talkative type I guess.

DroneFour
2006-Oct-23, 09:25 AM
I've seen enough bad cell phone behavior from the Creepy Touchy Feely Janitor (or C.T.F.J.) at work to know that I will never want one.