PDA

View Full Version : Vegemite banned in US!

ToSeek
2006-Oct-23, 03:09 PM
Australian produce banned by US (http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/australian-produce-banned-by-us.html)

And you thought Brussels was crazy for banning bananas that were too curved, for forcing manufacturers to relabel brandy butter as “modified distilled wine spreadable fat product”, and for limiting pizzas to an eleven-inch standardised diameter only! Now, the US is searching Aussies coming into the country to make sure they’re not bringing that most infamous of products with them - Vegemite!

According to News.com.au, the iconic spreadable brown stuff in a jar is faithfully carried around the world by travellers from downunder. But, a legal technicality in the US means that only breads and cereals are allowed to contain added folic acid (aka folate or vitamin B9), so Vegemite has become hot outlaw property.

Doodler
2006-Oct-23, 03:23 PM
Some days, I really wonder about this country...

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-23, 03:50 PM
Does that go for the UK equivalent Marmite too?

peter eldergill
2006-Oct-23, 04:17 PM
I honestly think that they're doing everyone a favor...have you ever tried vegemite?

It's horrible, horrible stuff :sick:

I've tried it once...never again

Pete

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-23, 04:30 PM
I honestly think that they're doing everyone a favor...have you ever tried vegemite?

Pete

how can you say that:question:

maybe it was because you were expecting some other kind of taste. That would be a shock

Moose
2006-Oct-23, 04:37 PM
Heh. I knew before trying it that Vegimite tastes horrible. But I was young then. I hadn't known there were degrees of horror I'd yet to experience. I lost my innocence that day. Since then, I've been a bitter, jaded, cynical SoaB*.

(*Son of a Beer-drinker. What did you think I meant?)

NEOWatcher
2006-Oct-23, 04:44 PM

Pete
I'll back you up on this one, and to counter Frog...I had no pre-conceptions on what it should taste like.
The only thing I can describe it as is Jellied salty soy sauce. (I know that's somewhat redundant, but so is Vegemite)

So why add it? Many international food manufactures have slightly different formulas for different countries. Does a vitamin change the taste?
I think the last line says it:
Or, maybe the whole story is simply a PR campaign in itself aimed at boosting the Vegemite share price and Aussie bar staff will be able to cope just fine!

ciderman
2006-Oct-23, 05:02 PM
It's delicious! (& marmite, which I started eating so early I can't remember starting).
I'm amused that (if wiki can be trusted) it appears to be american owned!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite
Mmm, lovely yeasty goodness:D
Opinions do tend to be polarised, a mate lothe's it with a passion, & yep the various international versions taste subtly different, but they're all good:razz: .

sarongsong
2006-Oct-23, 05:02 PM
...so Vegemite has become hot outlaw property...Prison scene: "So, what are you in for?"

Doodler
2006-Oct-23, 05:04 PM

Pete

Haven't tried it myself, but the advice I was given by an Aussie native from my gaming guild was, if I ever do, spread it thin. A little goes a LONG way.

Strikes me as being about as subtle in the flavor department as wasabe.

peter eldergill
2006-Oct-23, 05:04 PM
I do know a few people who do enjoy it...there's no accounting for taste...

I really enjoy salty foods more than sweet but this stuff was nasty (i'm not sure I've ever tried Marmite, though)

Pete

JohnW
2006-Oct-23, 05:10 PM

Pete
True. If that's the reason for banning, this would be a good time to sell your Annheuser-Busch stock.

Frantic Freddie
2006-Oct-23, 05:13 PM
Never tried Vegemite,but I have a jar of Marmite that was given to me by a Brit friend.

Even my dogs won't touch it.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Oct-23, 05:24 PM
Prison scene: "So, what are you in for?"

A guy in a bulging trenchcoat standing outside the security gate at a US airport:

"Psst! Hey buddy, over here. Looking for a little spread, if you know what I mean?"

2006-Oct-23, 05:27 PM
The story with some skepticality:

Metro, UK: Is America at war with Vegemite? (http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=22239&in_page_id=2):

And in bad news for British expats who enjoy smearing unpleasant poo-coloured yeast extract over their morning toast, Marmite also contains the offending folic acid – although it's not known if the levels of folate would be sufficient to fall foul of the War on Yeast.

Some sceptics, however, cast a measure of doubt on the Herald Sun story, noting that it seemed impossible to track down any FDA regulation specifically banning Vegemite, and suggesting that you'd think somebody would have noticed before now if an extremely popular ghastly food had been banned.

Celestial Mechanic
2006-Oct-23, 05:38 PM
But, a legal technicality in the US means that only breads and cereals are allowed to contain added folic acid (aka folate or vitamin B9), so Vegemite has become hot outlaw property.
When Vegemite is outlawed, only outlaws will eat Vegemite? :confused:

Moose
2006-Oct-23, 05:41 PM

Can't be. That would surely fall under "cruel and unusual".

Nereid
2006-Oct-23, 06:18 PM
You pay for the s&h, and I'll* gladly sell all your spare jars, tubes, tubs, whatever of vegemite ... to the Aussies in the US who would be suffering from withdrawal symptoms ....

What will they think up next? A reason to ban Tim Tams? Lamingtons?? (at least macadamia nuts are safe ... I hear that many in the US think they are native to Hawai'i :p :surprised ).

*Not me personally, you understand, but I can 'facilitate' such a thing (I think), via my 'connections'.

Dr Nigel
2006-Oct-23, 06:50 PM
Never tried Vegemite,but I have a jar of Marmite that was given to me by a Brit friend.

That's 'cos dogs don't know what's good for them. Cats love it.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-23, 07:34 PM
Well, that's just odd. Anyway, to all those living in the north who actually like the stuff, just hop the border. We aren't particular about what we consider food (c.f. lungs).

Peter Wilson
2006-Oct-23, 07:40 PM
Some days, I really wonder about this country...
Tell me about it...radio stations playing songs with references to vegimite have kow-towed to the authorities, and now dub-over the vegimite references with "vegilite."

ciderman
2006-Oct-23, 07:41 PM
Must be a culture thing..
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2047671.html
Marmite art!

Celestial Mechanic
2006-Oct-23, 07:45 PM
Oh, and also pirates.

"Arrr! It be tastier than the parrot poo on me shoulders! That I use for salad dressing!"

Doodler
2006-Oct-23, 08:42 PM
Tell me about it...radio stations playing songs with references to vegimite have kow-towed to the authorities, and now dub-over the vegimite references with "vegilite."

There's only one that I'm aware of...

Thats...so many words I could use, but I'll stick with "nauseatingly revisionist".

:wall:

lti
2006-Oct-23, 08:47 PM
If vegemite isnt to your liking I recomend marmite. Much better.
Vegemite always tasted as it was marmite that had gone off, a greener taste.

mugaliens
2006-Oct-23, 09:12 PM
Australian produce banned by US (http://www.sciencebase.com/science-blog/australian-produce-banned-by-us.html)

I really hope the Bush administration is watching this and says, what I would say, which is:

OH MY GOD

Get real, people. There are other issues out there than limiting food products.

UGH!

We're not PAYING you to decide what we should eat!!!

We're paying you to decide other issues, such as national politics....

Doodler
2006-Oct-23, 09:16 PM
We're not PAYING you to decide what we should eat!!!

They call it the Food and Drug Administration as something slightly more than an affectation.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-23, 09:23 PM
Could someone explain what their reasoning is behind the rule that prohibits Vegemite?

SeanF
2006-Oct-23, 09:25 PM
There's only one that I'm aware of...

Thats...so many words I could use, but I'll stick with "nauseatingly revisionist".

:wall:
I think Peter was being funny.

Until and unless somebody shows me an actual US law making vegemite an illegal substance, I'm taking this story with a grain of salt bigger than the iceberg that sank the Titanic.

Could someone explain what their reasoning is behind the rule that prohibits Vegemite?
From the OP:

...a legal technicality in the US means that only breads and cereals are allowed to contain added folic acid...

Gillianren
2006-Oct-23, 09:46 PM
If only breads and cereals can contain added folic acid, what about my vitamins?

I could always go down the road to the World Market and see if they still have the stuff on their shelves.

Musashi
2006-Oct-23, 09:46 PM
Vitamins are not a food.

Josh
2006-Oct-23, 09:59 PM
Vegemite is wonderful. I'm eating a toasted cheese and vegemite sandwhich right now.

Spread it thick and liberally, I say!

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-23, 10:15 PM
what people don't realise is that you have to use plenty of marg or butter etc.

PhantomWolf
2006-Oct-23, 10:35 PM
Bleah! NZ Marmite beats both Ozzie Vegemite and British Marmite hands down.

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-23, 11:06 PM
From the OP:

...a legal technicality in the US means that only breads and cereals are allowed to contain added folic acid...

Yeah, but why?

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-23, 11:14 PM
Yeah, but why?

I thought the reson was other wise they would all be doing it and there would be vitamine in coke and vitamins in mars bars etc etc and too many vitamins can be bad for you.

Frantic Freddie
2006-Oct-23, 11:15 PM
Vitamins are not a food. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jumbo
2006-Oct-24, 12:02 AM
Not tried vegemite but marmite...mmmmmm gorgeous stuff.
One thing i like doing is making sandwiches with it. Nothing else goes in so its a thick layer and after spending a night in the fridge it goes slightly crunhy. Lovely!

If this story is true then i expect the vegemite lovers to be experiencing severe withdrawl symptoms soon

Doodler
2006-Oct-24, 12:27 AM
Vitamins are not a food.

Don't ever say that in the presence of supermodels. You'll be branded a heretic in a heartbeat. They may not look like much, but they'll get some wicked English on a thrown 6 inch stilletto heel...

Bearded One
2006-Oct-24, 12:33 AM
Jellied salty soy sauce.

That sounds absolutely horrendous :sick:

sarongsong
2006-Oct-24, 01:47 AM
Don't ever say that in the presence of supermodelsl...Now there's a thought http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif...Musashi and the Supermodels! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Musashi
2006-Oct-24, 02:00 AM
Indeed!

paulie jay
2006-Oct-24, 07:28 AM
I wonder why only breads and cereals can have added folic acid?? Is there some sort of health logic behind that? Or is it a means to increase the sale of bread? :think:

Vegemite - love it or hate it. Divides culinary opinion even better than anchovies.

Maksutov
2006-Oct-24, 07:29 AM
No more Vegemite?

It's another sign of the Apocalypso, the end of civilization as we know it.

How could anyone ever be happy again? (http://malcolm.screensound.gov.au/olcmedia/audio/00015979.mp3)

paulie jay
2006-Oct-24, 07:34 AM
Now that brings back some memories!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-24, 01:15 PM
I wonder why only breads and cereals can have added folic acid?? Is there some sort of health logic behind that? Or is it a means to increase the sale of bread? :think:

Yeah, I never really got an answer when I asked that. Not sure if Frog March was serious or kidding around.

Maksutov
2006-Oct-24, 01:26 PM

Vegemite - love it or hate it. Divides culinary opinion even better than anchovies.Maybe it's just due to a misspelling of "Foley Acid", a chemical agent guaranteed to separate elected officials from their supporters. A compound that will etch its way into history.

And that's all I have to say about that!

Vegemite!

It not only spreads on buttered toast but also spreads gourmets/gourmands as well!

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Cuddles
2006-Oct-24, 02:49 PM
Vegemite is just silly. Yes, it's nice, but look how small the pots are. Marmite is what you should be eating. If you can't scoop it out of the pot with a spoon, then you shouldn't be putting it on bread.

Ozzy
2006-Oct-24, 02:57 PM
Promites the BEST!

I would imagine if you ate wasabe like avacodo, you would hate wasabe for life! The big mistake virgin yeast extract consumers make is spreading it like jam (jelly) or peanut butter.

INSTRUCTIONS
Take 1 thick slice of toast
Spread liberally with butter or margarine
Place small amount of vegemite (promites best) on the end of your knife
spread VERY THINLY

Great in the morning after a big nite out

NOTE : Do NOT listen to habituated users who say smear it on thick. They have a sadistic streak and want to see the funny disgusted look on your face.

Luv from down under.:lol:

Maksutov
2006-Oct-24, 03:11 PM
[edit]I would imagine if you ate wasabe like avacodo, you would hate wasabe for life!...How could anyone hate wasabi for life?

This

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8904/wasabirz5.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wasabirz5.jpg)

goes on practically everything!

Yum!

Moose
2006-Oct-24, 03:15 PM
A Canadian's guide to Vegimite.

Instructions:

Take one thick slice of toast.
Spread liberally with butter or margerine.
Place jar of vegemite in air cannon or trebuchet as available.
Shoot jar of vegemite as far as possible. Bonus points for impressive distance.

Do not listen to habituated aussies who say to smear it on at all. They have a sadistic streak and want to see if the silly foreiners will actually eat it. They certainly don't, regardless of how much they claim to do so.

;)

Doodler
2006-Oct-24, 03:22 PM
How could anyone hate wasabi for life?

This

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8904/wasabirz5.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wasabirz5.jpg)

goes on practically everything!

Yum!

I love wasabe, in VERY small amounts.

Its like green lava. A bit on the tongue, and your sinuses are instantly cleared to a level where you acheive zenlike awareness of every molecule of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide entering your head...

Can't beat it.

Peter Wilson
2006-Oct-24, 03:53 PM

Could someone explain what the reasoning is behind rules that prohibit any vegatable?

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-24, 03:54 PM
Wasabi, I'll have to get some of that.

ciderman
2006-Oct-24, 04:06 PM
Could someone explain what the reasoning is behind rules that prohibit any vegatable?
To prevent the spread of plant pests & diseases.

mugaliens
2006-Oct-24, 05:42 PM
They call it the Food and Drug Administration as something slightly more than an affectation.

Hey, if I want to eat bark, what's the Food and Drug Administration going to do about it?

What hasn't been answered here is what's wrong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite) with vegemite? "Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives."

What's next on their list? Hefeweisen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hefeweizen)?

mugaliens
2006-Oct-24, 05:48 PM
I love wasabe, in VERY small amounts.

Its like green lava. A bit on the tongue, and your sinuses are instantly cleared to a level where you acheive zenlike awareness of every molecule of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide entering your head...

Can't beat it.

That's fine - everything in moderation.

I wouldn't snort (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74JnI4ucsU) it, though...

Gillianren
2006-Oct-24, 08:06 PM
Vitamins are not a food.

That's as may be, but it doesn't specify food, at least not in that quote. Or is this more evidence of the unregulated nature of the supplement industry?

Oh, and guys? I hate to disillusion you, but that paste isn't real wasabi, which is very rare in the US--indeed, outside Japan--due to how difficult it is to grow.

Musashi
2006-Oct-24, 09:26 PM
That's as may be, but it doesn't specify food, at least not in that quote. Or is this more evidence of the unregulated nature of the supplement industry?

Oh, and guys? I hate to disillusion you, but that paste isn't real wasabi, which is very rare in the US--indeed, outside Japan--due to how difficult it is to grow.

The post may not specify food, but the FDA regulation does. Specifically,

Folic acid is an ingredient for which there is a food additive regulation (21 CFR 172.345)What this means is that foods are restricted from adding folic acid unless they meet certain criteria. The point is to keep folic acid intake from exceeding 1mg. Apparently folic acid intake higher than 1 mg can mask symptoms of anemia caused by a B12 deficiency.

As for wasabi, it isn't too difficult to order a whole root online. Supposedly real wasabi is much milder and more complex in flavor than that of the food colored horseradish we get most often here. A bit of trivia, there is a place in Oregon that grows real wasabi. Apparently one of the only places outside of Japan.

BioSci
2006-Oct-24, 09:34 PM
It appears that the rumors of a "ban" against Vegemite may just be a Australian media/internet blog hoax:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20641599-1702,00.html

mike alexander
2006-Oct-25, 12:02 AM
A check at the FDA site (www.fda.gov) shows no evidence that such a ban has been issued.

Sorry, you'll still have to eat it.

Ronald Brak
2006-Oct-25, 12:54 AM
I just ate a vegemite sandwich. Nectar of the gods.

Very, very strange gods indeed, but black sticky nectar none the less.

worzel
2006-Oct-25, 01:18 AM
The preconceived idea I had about what vegemite would taste like was that it would be as yummy as marmite (which I eat straight out the jar sometimes). My preconception was shattered the first time I tried it. Vegemite is down right disgusting down under dingo doo doos and is diametrically opposite to the product it pretends to be.

Ronald Brak
2006-Oct-25, 01:35 AM
Mmmm... Dingo doo doos...

Gillianren
2006-Oct-25, 05:17 AM
The post may not specify food, but the FDA regulation does. Specifically,
What this means is that foods are restricted from adding folic acid unless they meet certain criteria. The point is to keep folic acid intake from exceeding 1mg. Apparently folic acid intake higher than 1 mg can mask symptoms of anemia caused by a B12 deficiency.

Ah. Silly me. Should've looked it up, I suppose. (Then again, the only symptoms of anemia I've shown are from when I had iron-deficiency anemia in high school and my first year of college.)

As for wasabi, it isn't too difficult to order a whole root online. Supposedly real wasabi is much milder and more complex in flavor than that of the food colored horseradish we get most often here. A bit of trivia, there is a place in Oregon that grows real wasabi. Apparently one of the only places outside of Japan.

I read that the other day, yes. In What Einstein Told His Cook 2, which is also where I learned about wasabi. (Sushi's fish and seaweed and other things I won't eat--I do eat rice, though.) He didn't mention the prospect of ordering it online, though. He liked the real stuff way better.

Disinfo Agent
2006-Oct-25, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of bureaucracy. :D

mickal555
2006-Oct-25, 12:04 PM
Vegimite is Delisious it's good to clear up mouth ulsers too just smear some on the sore and the germs will wither and die.

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-25, 01:39 PM
I tried Vegemite once and found that , apart from being a bit thicker, it was almost the same as marmite. So I prefer Marmite which has a gorgeously shaped jar.

PhantomWolf
2006-Oct-27, 03:14 AM
The major difference between Vegemite and Marmite is that Marmite has sugar. ;)

Maksutov
2006-Oct-27, 03:56 AM
[edit]Oh, and guys? I hate to disillusion you, but that paste isn't real wasabi, which is very rare in the US--indeed, outside Japan--due to how difficult it is to grow.Yes, it's a combination of American horseradish and Japanese horseradish (wasabi), probably toned down to appeal to most Americans' bland taste buds. (http://japanesefood.about.com/od/wasabi/a/wasabi.htm)Or at least that's what the Japanese wasabi mavens thought they were doing. The 100% stuff is like gnawing on a horseradish root with the same number of Scovills as a Thai. Except the effect is over in a few seconds.

Therefore this tube (http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7809/sbqj2.jpg) contains real wasabi, just not 100%. Beggars can't be choosers, and in the US this mixed stuff ain't cheap.

MG1962A
2006-Oct-27, 05:13 AM
Well that makes me a criminal, I am holidays in Western Kansas with my trusty vegemite.

And before people start ragging vegemite. Imagine what MY stomach does when I see people drown scrambled eggs in Tabasco sauce for breakfast.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Oct-27, 05:21 AM
anybody have any recipes for horseradish I have a field of the stuff.

sirius0
2006-Oct-27, 05:44 AM
Vegimite is dark matter! Yum! Glad i solved that one. Means most of the universe was made in Australia.

Josh
2006-Oct-27, 05:54 AM

0.5 cup grated horseraddish
2 raw beetroots diced
1 cooked beetroot peeled and diced
1 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon of mustard (hot as you like)
2 tablespoons sugar
0.5 cup boiled water
1 teaspoon salt

Put it all in a food processor. Taste. If it clears your sinuses it's done; if not, add some more horseraddish (and mustard).

Van Rijn
2006-Oct-27, 06:21 AM
Well that makes me a criminal, I am holidays in Western Kansas with my trusty vegemite.

Thanks for letting us know where you are, evil doer! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

And before people start ragging vegemite. Imagine what MY stomach does when I see people drown scrambled eggs in Tabasco sauce for breakfast.

I'd never do that, though I do make a kind of well cooked spanish omelet - eggs, potato, cheddar cheese, onion, with some hot sauce (but not as strong as Tobasco sauce) mixed in for a bit of spiciness.

The thing that really worries me is that this might cause some nut to try to establish drop bears (http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/animals/comments/19/) in the U.S. After all, as everybody knows:

The only known way to deter a drop bear is to spread toothpaste or vegemite behind your ears and on your neck.

Now, the only question is: What is worse behind your ears? Vegemite or toothpaste?

Maksutov
2006-Oct-27, 07:19 AM
[edit]The thing that really worries me is that this might cause some nut to try to establish drop bears (http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/animals/comments/19/) in the U.S. After all, as everybody knows:

The only known way to deter a drop bear is to spread toothpaste or vegemite behind your ears and on your neck.

Now, the only question is: What is worse behind your ears? Vegemite or toothpaste?Simple. An undeterred drop bear.

Those suckers are relentless!

fringe_dweller
2006-Oct-27, 10:16 AM
I eat it everyday, and nothing wrong with me? *twitch* puts hairs on your ... ! also doubles as handy axle grease in a pinch? :P
marmite and promite are like the pepsi or 7up compared to you know who, just wannabees really :whistle:

Gillianren
2006-Oct-27, 09:17 PM
Okay. During my weekly check of what's new over at Snopes, I found this. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Van Rijn
2006-Oct-27, 09:36 PM
Okay. During my weekly check of what's new over at Snopes, I found this. http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

Yep, I'd seen some earlier bits along the same lines. Mostly, a web search turns up a number of articles from around 10/22 about the supposed ban and a very few, sometimes confused, follow-up stories after that. Until there is confirmation, I'm taking this about as seriously as drop bears. Not that it affects me - from the stories, I have no real interest in trying the stuff.

Trebuchet
2006-Oct-27, 11:20 PM

It took three years but I finally got rid of mine. A delicious condiment but what a horrible invasive plant. Don't EVER plant it where you can't tolerate it taking over. Mine went from a 2 foot diameter area to 20 feet diameter in two years. Not solidly covered of course, but just constant intrusions anywhere in the area.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Oct-27, 11:38 PM
It took three years but I finally got rid of mine. A delicious condiment but what a horrible invasive plant. Don't EVER plant it where you can't tolerate it taking over. Mine went from a 2 foot diameter area to 20 feet diameter in two years. Not solidly covered of course, but just constant intrusions anywhere in the area. The stuff I have was started a long time ago by my grandfather. My main battle in the yard is with poplar tree that keeps sending up new shots all over the place, ahh the joy of living on the edge of the woods.

mugaliens
2006-Oct-28, 06:34 PM

Smart pooches!

mugaliens
2006-Oct-29, 09:15 PM
Sushi's fish and seaweed and other things I won't eat--I do eat rice, though.) He didn't mention the prospect of ordering it online, though. He liked the real stuff way better.

Sushi's fine, as it's just raw fish, and all normal ocean fish (silver scales, no funky colors, fins in the right location, they look like "fish", etc.,) can be eaten raw by humans without problems or consequences of parasites. It's the crickey-looking ones that give us such grief, usually through toxic side-effects, particularly those which live mainly around coral reefs or those with spines, like the pufferfish.

Pufferfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pufferfish) is the basis of the "fugu" meat which is eaten in Japan, and which is the subject of much controversy with respect to fish toxins, namely tetrodotoxin, or more precisely anhydrotetrodotoxin 4-epitetrodotoxin.

Sushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi), on the other hand, is simply raw fish, combined with rice and other ingrediants, and is not considered toxic in the least.

Maki-zushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi#Maki-zushi_.28roll.29) is very tasty!

The Supreme Canuck
2006-Oct-29, 10:38 PM
Also, I'd not eat cod raw. Worms.

Roy Batty
2006-Oct-29, 11:17 PM
Sushi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi), on the other hand, is simply raw fish, combined with rice and other ingrediants, and is not considered toxic in the least.

Small nit picking point; as the link you provided correctly suggests, Sushi is the whole dish (or just rice) & can be vegetarian. Sashimi is the raw fish. And I say, bring on the Wasabi! ;)

Gillianren
2006-Oct-30, 02:11 AM
Well, but that's the thing. I don't like vegetables, either--and it doesn't actually matter if the fish is raw. I only eat fried fish.

WaxRubiks
2006-Oct-30, 02:45 AM
just to clear up something in the article quoted in the OP

Curved bananas to be banned. This is untrue. Bananas are classified according to quality and size for international trade; under EU agreements rationalising past standards by individual governments and the industry. They are not banned.

Cucumbers have to be straight and must not arch more than 10mm for every 10mm of their length. This is not true. No cucumbers are banned by the EU.

http://www.andrewduffmep.org.uk/pages/myth-food.html

damienpaul
2006-Oct-30, 07:51 AM
good for toothaches but not remotely anything more....

Nicolas
2006-Oct-30, 08:41 AM
A check at the FDA site (www.fda.gov (http://www.fda.gov)) shows no evidence that such a ban has been issued.

Sorry, you'll still have to eat it.

Was anyone surprised the vegemite ban wasn't real, when the article starts with summing up some "facts" that all are "urban legends"?

damienpaul
2006-Oct-30, 08:46 AM
vegemite urban legends.... oh the possibilities!

Maksutov
2006-Oct-31, 06:53 PM
vegemite urban legends.... oh the possibilities!Some of which would probably be VULgar. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Now if we just do something about shark fin soup (http://www.sharkfriends.com/sharkfinning.html)... :mad:

Moose
2006-Oct-31, 07:06 PM
Now if we just do something about shark fin soup (http://www.sharkfriends.com/sharkfinning.html)... :mad:

Mmm. Yeah. It's one thing to harvest the fins, but at least get us the steaks and fillets too. Use as much of the animal as you can if you're going to catch them. That sort of waste is criminal, or should be.

Every now and again, maybe twice a year, my local grocery store gets a shark that got itself caught in some net or another, or caught by a local deep-sea sport-fisher. There's very little demand for them around here, but I usually jump on a few steaks and fillets as a rare treat whenever I spot them.

Doodler
2006-Oct-31, 08:14 PM
Mmm. Yeah. It's one thing to harvest the fins, but at least get us the steaks and fillets too. Use as much of the animal as you can if you're going to catch them. That sort of waste is criminal, or should be.

Every now and again, maybe twice a year, my local grocery store gets a shark that got itself caught in some net or another, or caught by a local deep-sea sport-fisher. There's very little demand for them around here, but I usually jump on a few steaks and fillets as a rare treat whenever I spot them.

The restaurant I worked for used to do shark steaks from time to time. Fairly rare, but it always sold well.

Maksutov
2006-Nov-01, 12:46 PM

Every now and again, maybe twice a year, my local grocery store gets a shark that got itself caught in some net or another, or caught by a local deep-sea sport-fisher. There's very little demand for them around here, but I usually jump on a few steaks and fillets as a rare treat whenever I spot them.I agree it's a criminal waste. Use the whole fish.

A former girlfriend decided shark steaks were just the thing for a party we were throwing. She was so busy telling everyone where to sit, what to expect, and blah blah blah blah blah, that she forget about the shark steaks she was broiling. If one can make shoes out of alligator it seems one could do the same for overcooked shark steaks.

Next party I sent her out front as the busybody hostess and made sure the shark steaks were broiled barely long enough. Yum!

ciderman
2006-Nov-01, 01:41 PM
I totally agree it's a senseless waste:mad: . In our increasingly over fished world, lets hope that one day it does become literally criminal.
Shark is yummy!