PDA

View Full Version : Long-time Lurker, first-time Poster

shatdow
2006-Oct-25, 04:43 PM
Hi All,

I've been reading these forums since before the merger, but never bothered to post. But that's about to change...

My name is Matt, I'm 23, from Berkeley, CA. I graduated last year from Cal, and am working right now at the UC Berkeley Space Sciences Lab on some atomic physics/x-ray astrophysics stuff. I'm applying to grad schools this cycle after taking some time off from school.

I'm interested most in atomic and plasma physics, expecially as it relates to atsrophysics. I'm less a theorist and more a hands-on type, so I'm looking for opportunities in that vein. I've been mostly programming and working with data lately, and want to do more work in instrumentation. It kinda depends on where I end up going to grad school, so we'll see.

I also spend (probably too much) time on other things, like fishkeeping, snowboarding, biking, mechanics, reading random science related literature (this site included).

I guess that's it for now.

farmerjumperdon
2006-Oct-25, 05:06 PM
Welcome aboard.

Fishkeeping heh? What kind?

Used to breed and sell varieties of Angels a few years back. Too much work for the money, so now we just keep one tank of Angels for the kids as pets. And several empty tanks in the barn.

shatdow
2006-Oct-25, 05:14 PM
I'm all about freshwater. Right now I'm down to one small planted tank in my room, and a 72 gallon South American in my living room. That one has a mating pair of Chocolate Cichlids and an ancient pleco (I've had him since fifth grade).

ToSeek
2006-Oct-25, 05:54 PM
Welcome!

Tensor
2006-Oct-25, 07:08 PM
Welcome. Always glad to see lurkers start posting.