PDA

View Full Version : 'Meteorites'

MHS
2002-Jan-25, 06:41 PM
I just saw that the movie 'Meteorites' will be on on Dutch television. How about BA in this movie? The intro suggested A LOT!

Michiel

James
2002-Jan-25, 09:05 PM
On 2002-01-25 13:41, MHS wrote:
I just saw that the movie 'Meteorites' will be on on Dutch television. How about BA in this movie? The intro suggested A LOT!

IIRC, it's hard to tell which is worse: the story or the BA.

MHS
2002-Jan-28, 05:32 PM
Well, I saw the movie and you were so right! At first I couldn't stop laughing, but after about 30 minutes of bad astronomy, bad logics, bad plots, etcetera, it was getting pretty annoying. Just to give you an impression: at one point a guy is hit by an meteorite and you see a shot of his shoes (empty, and perfectly intact) and SMOKE'S COMING OUT!!! Need I say more...

> Michiel <

Donnie B.
2002-Jan-28, 06:21 PM
Heheh...

One wonders what they were trying to imply. Did he vaporize, leaving only his shoes intact? Did he get hit so hard it ripped him right out of his shoes, which heated by friction? Or maybe he just had really smelly feet?

Chip
2002-Jan-28, 06:39 PM
On 2002-01-28 12:32, MHS wrote:
"...at one point a guy is hit by a meteorite and you see a shot of his shoes (empty, and perfectly intact) and SMOKE'S COMING OUT!!! Need I say more...
> Michiel <

The Three Stooges did this too, (but without a meteor) -- and they left three perfectly intact pairs of shoes! Quite a feat...er...feet?

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jan-28, 07:44 PM
My favorite part of that movie was how the daughter was trapped int he model UFO and screaming for help, while she was maybe ten feet off the ground. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

MHS
2002-Jan-28, 09:10 PM
Oh yeah. And then the cable snaps, which has nothing to do with the meteorites.

I think we agree that most of the scenes in this movie are crap, but they didn't even connect them right! For example: when the trucks are heading for the mine the bridge collapses. They decide to go through the desert and the guy says 'these 5 miles are going to be rough' and then you see them driving with at least 20 miles and hour. It's totally dark in this scene, but in the next scene they're still on their way to the mine and it's broad daylight!! Did those meteorites change time?

smzarba
2002-Jan-29, 06:03 PM
[quote]
On 2002-01-28 13:21, Donnie B. wrote:
Heheh...

....Did he get hit so hard it ripped him right out of his shoes, which heated by friction?....

Hey! You almost made me do a Danny Thomas Spit Up while drinking my water and reading this post. (must be a lesson here somewhere)
By the way, does anyone know if these are the same guys that made "Speed 2" ? If not, just imagine how worse it COULD have been! (or could it?)

Chip
2002-Jan-29, 06:42 PM
On 2002-01-28 16:10, MHS wrote:
"...It's totally dark in this scene, but in the next scene they're still on their way to the mine and it's broad daylight!! Did those meteorites change time?

The ultimate bad movie for that kind of day and night mixup is the classic: Plan Nine From Outer Space!

Cerowyn
2002-Feb-12, 04:30 AM
Plan Nine From Outer Space hardly counts as a movie at all. Ed Wood was at best "fringe," and a fairer description would be "stark raving mad." BA's (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/index.html) own list captures the height of recent badness in movies.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cerowyn on 2002-02-12 00:14 ]</font>