PDA

View Full Version : Sky Night Targets

BigJim
2003-May-10, 11:20 PM
Alright, here's the scoop....

This Wednesday I am hosting a Sky Night for my high school. I offered to do this for my science department, and it was integrated into our science fair. Here's what I am going to bring:

Two pairs of binoculars (all I have)
My Meade ETX-105EC
A mini-TV to hook up to my electronic eyepiece
A bunch of flyers to tell people to watch the eclipse the next day

I will put the binoculars and TV on a table outside next to my scope, and the visitors will a) use the binoculars, and then b) look through my scope or at the TV screen. I had two main questions for you:

What targets should I view?
Do I have all I need?

Since the Moon is almost full, I decided it would not be a good night for deep space stuff, so I thought that I could see the Moon (they won't know that you can see more detail when it's less illuminated :wink: ), Jupiter, Saturn, perhaps Ceres, and maybe Orion if it's dark enough. I live in New Jersey and will be starting around 7:30. My max magnification is around 50 or so. Anything else I might be able to see? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BigJim

Nightfall
2003-May-10, 11:34 PM
If it is possible, I would suggest showing at the Pleiades.

gethen
2003-May-11, 12:34 AM
You might suggest checking out the stars in the handle of the Big Dipper--one is a double--see if they can find it. Easily done with binoculars I think.

dgruss23
2003-May-11, 02:37 AM
The Beehive (M-44) in cancer is a nice open cluster for binoculars that should be easily seen even during a full moon.

Don't forget to show them some of the brighter constellations such as Leo.

Glom
2003-May-11, 09:16 AM
I think M45 would be too low at this time of year as would Orion be. But, Leo and Gemini would be good.

Nightfall
2003-May-11, 08:01 PM
I think M45 would be too low at this time of year as would Orion be. But, Leo and Gemini would be good.

According to my star chart, the Pleiades (M45) will be above the horizon until around 10 PM on May 14. So it could be possible to see it, but it will, of course, depend on the local horizon.

Glom
2003-May-11, 08:33 PM
Taurus lost it's ability to be a viable target a month or so ago here. It probably won't be so bad in areas with less light pollution and fewer obstructions on the horizon.