PDA

View Full Version : Our Sun from today

paul f. campbell
2006-Nov-05, 01:34 AM
Hi All I got my solar setup out today to get ready for the Mercury transit on 11 08 06 of this week. My solar scope is a little 60mm meade telescope mounted on a ds goto mount with a solar filter.

I took a few photos using different lens to see which one would serve me best for the transit. I started with a 18mm lens which is the photo that I post. When I got down to my 9.5mm lens the sky had cleared , I put the lens into the scope and adjusted the focus and at that moment the space station went across the face of the Sun. I did not get a photo, it is the first time that I have ever seen the ISS go across the Sun very cool.

Melusine
2006-Nov-05, 07:05 AM
Neat photo...spooky-looking.

That's cool about seeing the ISS go by. :-)

seeker372011
2006-Nov-05, 08:27 AM
how come you have colour? dont you have a white light solar filter? or is this coloured in photoshop...good luck for the transit, hope you can get some decent images

paul f. campbell
2006-Nov-05, 09:25 AM
Hi Melusine thanks it was very cool to see it go by. Are you going to take some images of the transit.

Hi Seeker I bought this solar filter on e-bay. The filter itself gives off a dark yellow almost orange color when observing. I think the mans name who made this filter is Charles Galligar III. I hope I spelled his last name right. Thanks I will give it my best try Paul

JAICOA
2006-Nov-05, 02:18 PM
Hi Paul nice photo, on the filter is it Ha type?. in anycase be careful with your eyes my friend.

Melusine
2006-Nov-05, 06:32 PM
Hi Melusine thanks it was very cool to see it go by. Are you going to take some images of the transit.

I don't have the right equipment to take a photo, and it's grey and cloudy in Houston today besides or I'd defininitely have my PST out.

BTW, in case you missed the thread elsewhere, check out the suicidal comet movie at spaceweather.com. Poor thing didn't stand a chance! :razz:

Bokmakierie
2006-Nov-05, 07:02 PM
Great image Paul. Thanks
Phil

mickal555
2006-Nov-06, 08:13 AM
Cool image!

:D :clap:

ToSeek
2006-Nov-06, 04:37 PM
Interesting image.