PDA

View Full Version : Ice on the Moon

Eroica
2006-Nov-06, 02:29 PM
Ice on the Moon (http://www.thespacereview.com/article/740/1)

A concise review of the lunar polar ice controversy, how it will be resolved, and what it means to our return to the Moon:

... this debate is still open and nothing has occurred in the last few years to cause participants in the debate to abandon their positions. In a nutshell, poor or incomplete coverage by a variety of marginal data has led to much heat, while casting little light on the issue of lunar polar water. Here, I present the evidence to the reader, noting the strengths and weaknesses of each data set, and attempt to identify the remaining unanswered questions.

antoniseb
2006-Nov-06, 02:58 PM
That's a nice article. I'd like to point out that unless there are large collections of water-ice on the moon, we're looking at sifting little particles. I think given the difficulty of doing that, it will be good enough that we find Hydrogen on the Moon. There is plenty of Oxygen, and Solar power is never threatened by clouds. If we have Hydrogen we can make water. Speaking of which another thing that should be in the dark bottomed craters is Carbon. Getting some Carbon on the Moon will also be an important matter for having lower cost colonization.