PDA

View Full Version : World's largest model rocket contest

ToSeek
2003-May-12, 04:32 PM
Hundreds of model rockets in rural Virginia (http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=818)

Anyone else build model rockets when they were growing up?

g99
2003-May-12, 04:38 PM
Heck yes!

I built the kits and even made my own. The funest ones were making my own out of everyday materials. One paper rocket i made out of regular computer paper flew really high. I didn't have a altitude indicator, but at least a few hundred feet.

Sure it came out very singed, but it worked.

It is one of my favorite hibbies. I am seriously thinking about getting back into it. It's been a few years.

ToSeek
2003-May-12, 04:39 PM
I never made my own, but I put together several of the Estes kits - some of which ended up in trees, alas.

g99
2003-May-12, 04:44 PM
We did it on a baseball field surrounded by houses. Lets just say a number of them landed on some roofs. :-) (Don't worry, no damage, mist had a streamer or parachute to slow the fall and weighed almost nuthing)

I never bothered to get them back unless it was expensive materials or one of the pre-made kits. The effort to climb a tree or a roof was not worth it for a paper tube and a plastic cap.

One thing that i wanted to try but never did was the multi stage rockets. Someday....

LTC8K6
2003-May-12, 04:56 PM
Yes. Built a few, lost a few. Much fun.

Did other things with the engines too, but we won't go there. :D

Mainframes
2003-May-12, 05:05 PM
Yes. Built a few, lost a few. Much fun.

Did other things with the engines too, but we won't go there. :D

Lets' just hope you didn't try smoking one...! :lol:

Made a couple of the estes kits, one of them almost scalped my brother when the cone section which was connected to the parachute detached from the main body. The plastic fins on the body were reasonably heavy and falling from a couple of hundred feet very quickly...... brown trousers time!

Byrd
2003-May-12, 09:07 PM
I have a couple in my house that I'd like to fly this summer.

mike
2003-May-14, 03:48 PM
I have built them for yeard (both Estes and home grown--er, home made) and launched them with son, Boy Scouts, high school math pupils and the like.

It is an excellent and enjoyable hobby. If you plan to use up a few (not too many) dollars on stuff that blows up, floats miles away on the wind, etc etc you can learn the ins and outs of this enjoyable pastime easily.

There is a model rocket newsgroup if you log in to Yahoo groups under rec.models and then something. You will find it.

Have fun.

Colt
2003-May-14, 07:54 PM
I've never been able to do it for lack of funds, they always seem to disappear into other things, like books. I would not mind getting into it though now that I am more financially inclined. :) -Colt

mike
2003-May-14, 09:14 PM
I don't want to get into too many anecdotes, but this thread brings up a lot of good memories for me.

I helped my son build a big, two stage thing with a big D motor. I don't know what we did wrong but the rocket got up a ways and blew to bits. There was stuff raining down. Great hilarity ensued from the Boy Scouts assembled.

A lady walking her dog around a track 1/4 or so miles away came walking over with assorted parts from our initial shot.

We took what we could use and built a rocket maybe 1/3 the size of the original and flew it on the original motor. Did that thing crank!

My boy (now a Physics major at U of California) named the creation "The Freak of Nature". The Freak has been retired, charred fins and all, to the home for old rockets, my garage.

It's a good hobby and you can learn a lot.

Pinemarten
2003-May-15, 12:33 AM
I have been thinking of getting into it for a few years now, but for wierd reasons.
I would like to try mounting a camera on a rocket, and have it take a pic or two at high altitude.
Any ideas on how to trip the shutter, or solve other problems?

g99
2003-May-15, 06:35 AM
well most rockets when their fuel is exhausted shoot a small explosion upwards to dislogde things like chutes and ribbons or ignite another engine.

You could set up a plate that will take the upwards blast and when pressed upon will push a lever that will hit a switch on the camers. I would use a cheap camera b/c of the chances of it going bad are good. Maybe a disposable?

Like have a plate, then a arm attqched to the plat tiwht the other end attached to the shutter button. when the blast comes the shutter is pressed. The only problem is getting the craft down safely...

Pinemarten
2003-May-15, 07:02 AM
That sounds good. I have a plan, but no time.
I buy cheap SLRs at pawn shops for $60-100CDN. If you can find such in your area; cam, the rocket stuff, build the critter; and make it work, I am interested.
Find places that will take VISA over phone, not the net, and I will consider financing. I can't afford wages, but you may gain other.
I would still own the cam, rocket stuff, and rights to all pics, until you prove worthy.
Calculate for 50ASA film and slowest possible shutter speed. Budget $200-400USD.
Edit
Most SLRs have a hole in the shutter button for a 'leash'. It is like a brake cable on a bicycle, you push the cable, and it takes the pic.

daver
2003-May-15, 06:12 PM
I have been think of getting into it for a few years now, but for wierd reasons.
I would like to try mounting a camera on a rocket, and have it take a pic or two at high altitude.
Any ideas on how to trip the shutter, or solve other problems?

Estes used to have a camroc; i never looked into how they did it.

If you're planning on lobbing an SLR you're going to need a pretty hefty rocket. I don't know how cheap the digital cameras are nowadays or how flexible their programming--if you could get one that would take pictures every ten seconds until it ran out of memory you could start it just before launch and not worry about triggering it.

honestmonkey
2003-May-15, 06:54 PM
Best do it quick. Because of our Homeland security and all, model rocket motors are classified as explosives and may not be available for too much longer. I think the problem was inter-state transportation. I heard about this a few months ago and don't know the outcome, so maybe it has been ruled okay after all by the powers that be.

I cracked a bunch of fins when I was a kid. Usually only got off one shot on any one day, as I recall. Something always broke. Fun stuff, though!

ToSeek
2003-May-15, 07:20 PM
Best do it quick. Because of our Homeland security and all, model rocket motors are classified as explosives and may not be available for too much longer. I think the problem was inter-state transportation. I heard about this a few months ago and don't know the outcome, so maybe it has been ruled okay after all by the powers that be.

There's a push for an exemption (http://www.space-rockets.com/arsanews.html#enzibill), but I don't think it's there yet.