PDA

View Full Version : Leonid Meteor Shower: November 19, 2006

Fraser
2006-Nov-15, 01:56 AM
One of the best meteor showers of the year is about to get rolling, so make sure you mark your calendar. The Leonid Meteor Shower will be peaking on Sunday, November 19, 2006, and you might be able to see as many as 100 meteors an hour. Find the darkest possible skies that you can, and wait until the constellation Leo is highest in the sky. Observers in western Europe, Africa, Brazil and the eastern parts of North America will get the best view this year.

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/11/14/leonid-meteor-shower-november-19-2006/)

BigDon
2006-Nov-15, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Fraser. Though I believe we in the San Francisco Bay area will getting some much needed rain on those days. :sad:

Maksutov
2006-Nov-15, 08:10 AM
Hope it's as good as 2001 or especially 1966. Maybe by then our perpetual showers here in MS will have cleared out.

bpghs_astronmy_team
2006-Nov-15, 02:54 PM
Will people residing in Singapore get to see the Leonid Meteor Shower? Thanks!

Fermbiz
2006-Nov-15, 03:40 PM
I so want to see this....damn you New York City...

Maksutov
2006-Nov-15, 03:55 PM
Will people residing in Singapore get to see the Leonid Meteor Shower? Thanks!Of course you will, if you have clear skies. Go here for more information. (http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/leonids.html)

Welcome to the BAUT BB, bpghs_astronmy_team! Read the FAQs (top of every page page) and have fun!

andyschlei
2006-Nov-16, 03:58 AM
A minor quibble. You say, "wait until Leo is highest in the sky."

At Greenwich, England, Leo transits at 7:50am. "Estimates range from 0445 UT to 0630 UT on Nov. 19th (11:45 p.m. on Nov. 18th to 1:30 am EST on Nov. 19th)."

On the west coast, Leo doesn't even rise until 11:53 pm (Los Angeles).

So waiting until Leo is highest in the sky is not a very good approach.

But it does explain why the viewing will be better in Europe than in the western United States.

schlaugh
2006-Nov-16, 04:12 AM
Hope it's as good as 2001 or especially 1966. Maybe by then our perpetual showers here in MS will have cleared out.

My recollection is that the Leonids have a 33-year peak cycle and those years (most recently) included 1933, 1966 and 1999. So it would seem the Earth is either approachng or in the trough before the next peak in 2032.

I tried to watch the 1999 event but the sky over Atlanta's suburbs was hazy that night. Friends further east (and under darker skies) reported nice results.

hhEb09'1
2006-Nov-16, 06:40 AM
A minor quibble. You say, "wait until Leo is highest in the sky."I don't think this is such a minor quibble. I think it is important--if the modelers have done as good a job as they have in the past few years. They've pretty much pinpointed the size and shape of the Leonid meteor stream, and it can be very narrow, but intense.

The radiant is Leo, hence the name, and the viewing is best when Leo is high, but since the event will have a short sharp peak, waiting for Leo to be high in the sky will most likely cause you to miss the peak.

Notice that the OP says Sunday--but remember, it's Sunday morning, not Sunday night.
My recollection is that the Leonids have a 33-year peak cycle and those years (most recently) included 1933, 1966 and 1999. So it would seem the Earth is either approachng or in the trough before the next peak in 2032.

I tried to watch the 1999 event but the sky over Atlanta's suburbs was hazy that night. Friends further east (and under darker skies) reported nice results.The 33 year event is associated with the main stream, but it's not so neatly packaged as that. A lot of 33 year anniversaries came and went without a large display. Since 1999, we've been treated to a few "leftovers", and this year should be one of them.

From the NASA link (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/14nov_leonids.htm) at the blog:
Don't believe everything you read. While meteor forecasters have done a splendid job predicting Leonid outbursts in recent years—sometimes "nailing the peak within minutes"—they could be wrong in 2006. The outburst might happen at an unexpected time or it might be better than expected.

BillBolivia
2006-Nov-18, 01:02 AM
I and about 4 others will be out at Charlie Elliott, arriving Sunday 5-5:15 am.

See you there?

BB