PDA

View Full Version : Green meteor fall

suntrack2
2006-Nov-16, 11:43 AM
Yesterday, I have seen green color meteor fall, 2-3 balls more than the tennis ball were falling on the earth with a great speed, before touching the surface of the earth they were disappeared. so generally I have seen last time white meteor fall, so there are types of meteor falling with different colours?

(I was standing west_east) in a open ground, at 10.00pm, yesterday.

Fazor
2006-Nov-16, 02:18 PM
I saw a green fireball meteor once. It was pretty cool. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time, and liked to go "UFO watching" (no never saw anything, this green meteor was the wierdest most exciting thing we ever saw).

Anyway, the color comes from the combustion from friction caused on entry. As with many things, the color depends on the material that's burning and the heat of the flame. I cannot tell you what specific elements generally lead to green commets, but I'm sure someone else on here can.

eburacum45
2006-Nov-16, 05:09 PM
It is apparently ionised oxygen which produces the green colour; oxygen is abundant in the atmosphere, so green meteors are not that unusual (though I have yet to see one).

Mister Earl
2006-Nov-16, 06:18 PM
I believe copper burning produces a green flame, though I don't know if it is a common material ni meteors.

2006-Nov-16, 06:37 PM
The forum search (http://www.bautforum.com/search.php) function still works for me.

See topic Meteor Color Question (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=36850).

Google (http://www.google.com/) works, too.

NASA Background facts on meteors and meteor showers (http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/meteor.html)
NASA Space Academy: Meteors (http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/Academy/SPACE/SolarSystem/Meteors/meteors.html)

Kaptain K
2006-Nov-16, 06:48 PM
Meteors come in many colors. Most appear white. I have seen red, orange, yellow, blue meteors and yes, one green one - a bright (-4 mag) fireball.

phunk
2006-Nov-16, 06:53 PM
I saw a green fireball meteor once. It was pretty cool. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time, and liked to go "UFO watching" (no never saw anything, this green meteor was the wierdest most exciting thing we ever saw).

Anyway, the color comes from the combustion from friction caused on entry. As with many things, the color depends on the material that's burning and the heat of the flame. I cannot tell you what specific elements generally lead to green commets, but I'm sure someone else on here can.

Minor nitpick... It's not friction that heats things up, it's compression of the air in front of the meteor.

Fazor
2006-Nov-16, 07:00 PM
hehe i was waiting for someone to correct me. but thanks :)

Blob
2006-Nov-16, 07:12 PM
@suntrack2
Hum,
there wasn't any large bits of satellites due to re-enter the earths atmosphere listed at around that time. But it does sound like you saw satellite debri.

However, it could also have been an early Leonid. They are fast (therefore green oxygen) and sometimes contain Ca and K emission lines ( bluish).

bobeena
2006-Nov-17, 06:26 AM
Yesterday, I have seen green color meteor fall, 2-3 balls more than the tennis ball were falling on the earth with a great speed, before touching the surface of the earth they were disappeared. so generally I have seen last time white meteor fall, so there are types of meteor falling with different colours?

(I was standing west_east) in a open ground, at 10.00pm, yesterday.

i have been seeing frequent meteorite fallings lately 3 in one month. wondering if thier is any significance or meaning or maybe just mere consequence? does a meteroite express any hidden meaning? maybe a sign of something to come. there has been major changes in my life in the past month wondering if those meterotites have any indication to that.

luvkit
2006-Nov-17, 06:39 AM
i have been seeing frequent meteorite fallings lately 3 in one month. wondering if thier is any significance or meaning or maybe just mere consequence? does a meteroite express any hidden meaning? maybe a sign of something to come. there has been major changes in my life in the past month wondering if those meterotites have any indication to that.

You're kidding, right?

bobeena
2006-Nov-17, 06:41 AM
lol. no im not kidding. kinda strange doncha think. what does it mean?:razz:

2006-Nov-17, 07:04 AM
lol. no im not kidding. kinda strange doncha think. what does it mean?:razz:

It means you've been looking up at night and catching, noticing a few of the dozens of bright meteors that happen near anyone any night.

suntrack2
2006-Nov-18, 10:09 AM
may be green colour due to "iron ferrite samples in the meteor" ?

Kaptain K
2006-Nov-19, 08:34 AM
bobeena,

During major meteor showers, such as the Lyrids in April, Pereids in August, Orionids in October or Geminids in December, it is possible to see 60-100 meteors an hour from a dark site!

JohnD
2006-Nov-19, 07:10 PM
Green meteors?

Ooooer, missus!

It was green meteors that made the world blind and started the Day of the Triffids!
Now where's that weed killer?

John