PDA

View Full Version : What did he see?

closetgeek
2006-Nov-17, 03:10 PM
A friend of mine called me to ask if I could tell him what he saw, but I was left wondering, myself. He said a few weeks ago, he was driving in Fl and noticed a green object fly across the sky. He said it lasted longer and was bigger than any shooting star he had ever seen, not to mention it was green. His best description was; it started just over the trees on one side of the sky, it appeared to arc upward then back down as it moved from one end of the sky to the other. This next part, as he explained, happened over a period of a second, at most. It was not a prolonged or slowed event. As it reached the other side, it came to a dead stop, as if it hit a wall, and instantaneously shot upwards, and in appearance, disappeared into space. He said it had a long tail, like a comet that was really close, only it didn't light up the sky. Could it be a relatively larger fragment of debris burning up then exploding or is some other kind of phenomena, that I haven't learned yet? Has anyone else ever seen anything similar? Mind you, this was something that he saw a good time ago, so I am assuming that where his memory fails, his imagination is filling in, but he was very sure about the last part.

closetgeek
2006-Nov-17, 03:19 PM
Well, I wish I read first then posted this. I would have found the answer to the color, but can anyone say why it would stop and shoot up, or at least appear to do so?

antoniseb
2006-Nov-17, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure how your friend could be certain that something arced across the sky, and then went "upwards". Did he mean it followed a new different arc?

In any case, there are a few possible explanations that might explain your text above, including this unlikely scenario:

Your friend was out on a night with a light thin hazy cloud layer, and was a few hundred yards away from someone with an argon laser, who used it to light up a swath in the sky in an arc, and then when the laser was pointing to a place near the tree line, he stopped the motion and then as he turned it off, he jarred the laser, making its last movement go in a direction orthoganal to the ground.

Fazor
2006-Nov-17, 03:46 PM
My guess would be that it was same thing that we were discussing in this post (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=49392).

You can refer to that to explain the color (which apparently you've already done). Perhaps it entered the atmosphere and then exited before complete burn? I mean, the arc and the apparent change in velocity were most likely just effects from the viewing angle.

But if that's not a good explination (i'm no expert), then I'll revert to my fail safe "it was aliens" answer :) hehe.

closetgeek
2006-Nov-24, 02:12 PM
As I said though, he was trying to give his best explanation based on memory.

I'm not sure how your friend could be certain that something arced across the sky, and then went "upwards". Did he mean it followed a new different arc?

In any case, there are a few possible explanations that might explain your text above, including this unlikely scenario:

Your friend was out on a night with a light thin hazy cloud layer, and was a few hundred yards away from someone with an argon laser, who used it to light up a swath in the sky in an arc, and then when the laser was pointing to a place near the tree line, he stopped the motion and then as he turned it off, he jarred the laser, making its last movement go in a direction orthoganal to the ground.