PDA

View Full Version : Where Do Baby Stars Come From?

Fraser
2006-Nov-27, 05:57 PM
Most parents have had that uncomfortable conversation with their children at some point. Mommy, Daddy, where do stars come from? You hem and haw, mumble a few words about angular momentum and primordial hydrogen and then cleverly change the subject. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.astronomycast.com/stars/where-do-baby-stars-come-from/)

sbposeidon
2006-Nov-28, 02:25 AM
Today Pamela was saying how planets form. She said that the large gas giants form far away from the star (as in our solar system) and that the rocky planets form close to the star. If I am not mistaken, are there not massive gas giant planets inside the equivalent of mercury's orbit and if so how are they explained?

Thank you for the show. I listen while I am at work. I do Alzheimer’s research at the University of Rochester but I have always had a love for astronomy. The only reason I did not decide to do astronomy as a major in college was there was far too much math involved. Keep up the great work!

Byshyp
2006-Nov-29, 08:38 PM
Great timing on this episode. We just finished looking at the Orion and several open clusters this weekend. I use to think open cluster were boring because they seemed like just a bunch of stars, but now I know what to look for and what that tells me. Thanks!

But what's the story behind globular clusters. Are they similar, different, or somewhere in between open clusters?

tom8080
2009-Oct-27, 04:58 AM
Globular clusters have a lot more old stars, and they do not loose stars as much by escaping. Also they swarm around the center of the galaxy in a halo.

Don't they both obey the "virial theorem"?

Empyre
2009-Oct-27, 08:11 PM
It is my understanding that the hot Jupiters form further out, just like in our Solar system, but then they move inward. Pamela and Fraser have discussed this before in Astronomy Cast.

Buttercup
2009-Oct-27, 08:43 PM
Everyone knows baby stars are delivered by The Stork Nebula.

*duh!* ;-p

tdvance
2009-Oct-27, 10:13 PM
Where do baby stars come from.....well, you see this mama star and this daddy star.....