PDA

View Full Version : Funniest things heard while people look through your scope?

Stupendous Man
2002-Jan-28, 09:42 PM
So just for humour sake, what's some funny things people have said while they look at something with your telescope?
Two for me came from some children while viewing the nearly full moon, and seeing the craters.
1: The moon looks so crumbly.
and the best:
2: Wow! I didn't know the moon could do that!

Anyone else?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stupendous Man on 2002-01-28 16:45 ]</font>

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-29, 12:45 AM
Well, when observing NGC 457, my girlfriend thought it looked like the logo of the Blair Witch Project.

I now call it the Blair Witch Cluster when I show it to people /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif (You might know it as the Dragonfly cluster or the ET cluster.)

Rob

Russ
2002-Jan-29, 02:15 PM
At a Boy Scout campout: Is that really it? (saturn)

At a family campout: How many are there like that. (Saturn again)

Christmas 2000 Solar Partial Eclipse: Now will it be like that from now on? (an adult)

I'm sure there are more but these are all I can remember right now.

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-29, 03:29 PM
The January 2000 total lunar eclipse entered its total phase around 11pm est. I think it was a Wed or Thurs night. The local astronomy club hosted a huge eclipse party attended by about 1500 people (this was in Florida).

One of the adults said, "This is a great event, but couln't you have scheduled it earlier in the evening for kids who have to go to school tomorrow?"

Rob

Matherly
2002-Jan-29, 03:32 PM
On 2002-01-29 10:29, Hale_Bopp wrote:
One of the adults said, "This is a great event, but couln't you have scheduled it earlier in the evening for kids who have to go to school tomorrow?"

I'm thinking that this is one of the reasons the Allmighty doesn't like talking to people very much. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ToSeek
2002-Jan-29, 04:32 PM
My wife and I took a cruise to see the total solar eclipse in 1998. One of the non-astro geeks onboard asked her when the eclipse was going to happen. My wife said, "On the 26th around 2." "Am or pm?" came the reply.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-01-29 11:33 ]</font>

Wally
2002-Jan-29, 04:32 PM
On 2002-01-29 09:15, Russ wrote:

Christmas 2000 Solar Partial Eclipse: Now will it be like that from now on? (an adult)

So Russ. What was your response to this??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I don't think I could have resisted some smart_ss remark!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ps. Handed over house payments to the wife, so may have enough for the lx200 here in another month or so! Wish me luck!

Zandermann
2002-Jan-29, 09:52 PM
Twice each year, one of the science teachers at my high school packs up his scope, and I pack up mine, and we throw a star party for the kids.

This last time, we had one kid peering through the scope and adjusting the focus knob, wondering where the 'brightness' control was...Mars wasn't bright enough for him.

ToSeek
2002-Jan-30, 01:18 PM
On 2002-01-29 16:52, Zandermann wrote:

This last time, we had one kid peering through the scope and adjusting the focus knob, wondering where the 'brightness' control was...Mars wasn't bright enough for him.

Maybe if he aimed his laser pointer at it.... (http://www.paintthemoon.org/)

aurorae
2002-Jan-31, 09:09 PM
A fairly common response is disbelief that Saturn is real. Some people think that we have a fake picture of Saturn inside the telescope. It takes some explaining to convince them otherwise.

Once I ran into a person that did not know that stars were suns, and found it really hard to believe it.

Astronomy Students Say the Strangest Things:
http://www.astr.ua.edu/keel/sayings.html

Russ
2002-Feb-01, 01:46 AM
On 2002-01-29 11:32, Wally wrote:
[quote]
On 2002-01-29 09:15, Russ wrote:

So Russ. What was your response to this??? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I don't think I could have resisted some smart_ss remark!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I responded with stunned silence and then "No, this what's called a transient phenomenon."

ps. Handed over house payments to the wife, so may have enough for the lx200 here in another month or so! Wish me luck!

AAAAAAWRIGHT!!!! Whooooo Hoooooo! Good Luck! Don't look back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2002-01-31 20:47 ]</font>