PDA

View Full Version : My best afocal Jupiter

Bokmakierie
2006-Dec-04, 08:14 AM
On August 9 I took 30 afocal images of Jupiter through the 25 mm eyepiece of my 9" Dob.
I selected the 4 best and stacked them by hand, adjusted the brightness, contrast and sharpness with Microsoft Picture-It and cleaned the image with Noiseware.
The image is not even close to what one can achieve with webcam imaging and Registax processing, but is nonetheless quite pleasing considering the simplicity of the process and the minimal cost involved.

Phil

jt-3d
2006-Dec-04, 08:33 AM
That's good work. I'm photo gear poor myself so I like to see what can be done afocally. I am kind of surprised not to see any moons though.

Bokmakierie
2006-Dec-04, 10:56 AM
That's good work. I'm photo gear poor myself so I like to see what can be done afocally. I am kind of surprised not to see any moons though.

Oh, the moons are there all right. When I increase the brightness they all show up but then Jupiter is over exposed.
I am battling with Photoshop Elements to get to use layers so that I can have a layer with only the moons and one with Jupiter. One way I got around this is to cut Jupiter out of the image and then process the section that contains the moonsseparately. See, http://home.telkomsa.net/mybirding/Afocal.htm

Phil

Bokmakierie
2006-Dec-04, 12:46 PM
Here are one of the images I have used for the stacking. I have enhanced the brightness and contrast to show the 4 moons. Of course Jupiter is now over exposed.