PDA

View Full Version : The Sense of Wonder

Silas
2002-Jan-29, 01:22 AM
It never really goes away...

I'm at home, watching the full moon rise over the buildings nearby. It's beautiful, awesome, haunting, and spiritual...

And, since I've lived in the same place for several years, and have sat in the exact same spot typing on my 'puter, I've seen the moon rise over those same buildings many times...

Sometimes a little more to the north, sometimes a little more to the south...

The sense of wonder, the sense of curiosity... I celebrate the Chaldeans and the Mayans and everyone else who tried to make sense of the eerie patterns of the sky.

I celebrate Mendel and Mendeleev (lovely coincidence there!) and all of their fellow spirits, who observed nature, and learned therefrom.

As Garry Trudeau joked in Doonesbury, "Oh, wow, look at the moon..."

Silas

Azpod
2002-Jan-29, 07:55 PM
On 2002-01-28 20:22, Silas wrote:

I'm at home, watching the full moon rise over the buildings nearby. It's beautiful, awesome, haunting, and spiritual...

And, since I've lived in the same place for several years, and have sat in the exact same spot typing on my 'puter, I've seen the moon rise over those same buildings many times...

Sometimes a little more to the north, sometimes a little more to the south...

The sense of wonder, the sense of curiosity... I celebrate the Chaldeans and the Mayans and everyone else who tried to make sense of the eerie patterns of the sky.

I celebrate Mendel and Mendeleev (lovely coincidence there!) and all of their fellow spirits, who observed nature, and learned therefrom.

As Garry Trudeau joked in Doonesbury, "Oh, wow, look at the moon..."

Silas

I hate to break it to you, but the Moon was created by NASA in a bizarre time-travel thingy so that we could do our fake landings to show up the Soviets back in the 1960s. When the Chinese land there 10-100 years from now, they'll find out that the whole thing is really just a really HUGE baloon covered dirt that was dug out of the Arizona crater by the same time-travellers who made the Moon well before the human race existed.

Sorry, was that consipracy theory too simple? I'm certain I can add more unproven statements to make it more wild, and see if anyone believes it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That said, it is a pretty cool sight sometimes. Just last night, was it behind some low fog, and it lit up the fog immediately surrounding it, giving it a really cool looking halo... exactly the same type of view that is in all of the old horror movies. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Chuck
2002-Jan-30, 02:11 PM
There is no outer space. NASA is projecting lights onto a big dome to fool us because they want to keep their jobs.

I remember being awed when learning how far away the stars really were. Now it's just numbers, though. I've become desensitized, I guess.

ToSeek
2002-Jan-30, 02:16 PM
On 2002-01-28 20:22, Silas wrote:

Speaking of which (a very appropriate APOD image) (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020130.html)