PDA

View Full Version : New person with a question.

Darasen
2002-Jan-29, 04:22 AM
Hello All.

I am new to this board so I thought I would take a moment to say hello and ask a question.
I am a computer technician / web designer in central Florida and not an astronomer by any means. I have, however, been fascinated by astronomy and physics for some time and have read everything I have been able to access on the topics (Discover, Astronomy, Scientific America, Stephen Hawking books, web, etc..) I have also followed this board for some time and learned several things from it.
Once I could understand a post from HUb' (no offence) I decided it was safe to post.
My Question is simply; can anybody suggest a decent telescope between three and five hundred dollars? Also, Has anyone else ever been accused of being pedantic for studying this sort of thing as a pastime?

Glutomoto
2002-Jan-29, 04:40 AM
someone actually understood a post from HUb' ?

Wow !

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-29, 04:41 AM
On 2002-01-28 23:22, Darasen wrote:
Also, Has anyone else ever been accused of being pedantic for studying this sort of thing as a pastime?
Star Geek was as close as I've heard.

odysseus0101
2002-Jan-29, 05:04 AM
On 2002-01-28 23:41, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

Also, Has anyone else ever been accused of being pedantic for studying this sort of thing as a pastime?
Star Geek was as close as I've heard.

I just recently got into this as a pasttime, after happening across this very website. I solve the pedantry problem by not telling my super-cool friends about it.

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jan-29, 05:10 AM
Hi! Welcome to the BABB!

I have a page about first time 'scope buying: So, you want to buy a telescope? (http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/scopefaq.html). There are links there that should help.

amstrad
2002-Jan-29, 05:41 AM
In addition to those links that the BA provide, Sky & Telescope (http://www.skypub.com) provide some useful tips for purchasing telescopes (http://www.skypub.com/tips/telescopes/telescopes.shtml). Also, check scopereviews.com (http://www.scopereviews.com/).

I have an 8" Meade Starfinder EQ (as my first "real" scope), and it borders on being too big to be useful. It's rather cumbersome to take out to a dark field and set up. So my first advice to you is to make sure that whatever you get is small enough so that you will actually use it. A small 4" newtonian that you can throw in the back seat of your car will get used a whole lot more than a 12" monster dobsonian in your closet.

not for my astronomy hobby but certainly for my job -- C programmer (being pedantic is a requirment)

Chuck
2002-Jan-29, 06:20 AM
If you don't need a brand new telescope you could try eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=telescope&query2=telescope&search_option=1&exclude=&category0=&minPrice=299.99&maxPrice=501.01&ebaytag1code=0&st=&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

BADad
2002-Jan-29, 08:36 AM
Pedantic, shemantic, as long as you keep your sense of proportion! Also, using your brain and body can't be bad. It'll give you things to think about in your old age. Look at me!

Russ
2002-Feb-01, 04:13 PM
Hello All.

I am new to this board so I thought I would take a moment to say hello and ask a question.
I am a computer technician / web designer in central Florida and not an astronomer by any means. I have, however, been fascinated by astronomy and physics for some time and have read everything I have been able to access on the topics (Discover, Astronomy, Scientific America, Stephen Hawking books, web, etc..) I have also followed this board for some time and learned several things from it.
Once I could understand a post from HUb' (no offence) I decided it was safe to post.

Hub' can definately be hard to fathom, but he means well. I looks like you are well read and willing to read. Therefore, you should get on Yahoo/astronomy/telescopes. and read everything. You will learn alot about buying telescopes.

My Question is simply; can anybody suggest a decent telescope between three and five hundred dollars?

Do not buy a scope based on anyones suggestion. Once you have read everything I mentioned above, go to a star party sponsored by your local astronomy club. You don't say where in central Fla. you are but I know there are many in Fla. so you wont have a hard time finding one. Just walk around asking to look through peoples scopes and asking what they like and don't like about their scope. Do this several times. You are shopping, so you want to see and try as many different scopes as possible

As mentioned above, THE prime criteria for the scope you finally pick is that you will use it. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Of course! Wear it as a badge of honor. By refusing to be insulted by such an accusation and actually being prideful, you will topple your detractor.

smzarba
2002-Feb-01, 05:10 PM
I don't know about being too overly cool, but everyone who's looked through my scope has been very excited. It's obvious in their eyes and the questions they ask. (I'm sort of like you. Read a lot, wished a long time and finally got a decent scope. In other words, I'm not like the journeymen and experts on this site, but I know enough to be dangerous to the neighbors, family, and passers-by. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )