PDA

View Full Version : Radio As A Bad Astronomy Source



Russ
2002-Jan-29, 01:31 PM
"The International Star Registry" is rearing it's ugly head enforce in the Cincinnati area. They are carring on a saturation advertising program on WMOH radio. (1450AM for those who might be able to hear)

They claim that having a star named after the one you love for Valentines Day is the most loving thing you can give. As opposed to a kidney I suppose?! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

This ad is on EVERY commercial break and sometimes twice in a break!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif I'm debating whether to bother emailing the station to tell them it's a scam. Any suggestions?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-29, 02:33 PM
And, apparently, it's part of the plot of a romantic movie, A Walk to Remember (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=488&forum=4&8), that opened recently.

Does anybody know Shane West's middle name?

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Jan-29, 04:29 PM
I just heard an ad from them on the radio coming in to work today. They no longer claim the name will be registered in the Library of Congress or in Switzerland... but now they say it will be registered in the U.S. Copyright office. Duh! Anything filed for a copyright goes there. It's not misleading advertising, since they are telling the truth, but it makes this sound a lot more official than it is.

For what it's worth, I have a chapter about them in my book (I titled it "Star Hustlers").

Wally
2002-Jan-29, 04:51 PM
I feel worse because most of the poor ignorant people that buy into this happen to be the significant other of us amateur astronomers (present company excepted, of course, Phil), thinking they're buying the perfect gift for their star loving spouse. Thus, they end up buying what they think is the perfect gift, while those receiving are the ones that know it's a scam.

At least when one ignorant person buys it for another, they can both live within the fantasy. . .

smzarba
2002-Jan-29, 05:51 PM
And what can you say?
A co-worker did this for her dad. I just said "That's nice" because I didn't what to break her bubble. If it's a loved one though...yikes! Dangerous!

ToSeek
2002-Jan-29, 05:55 PM
On 2002-01-29 11:29, The Bad Astronomer wrote:

For what it's worth, I have a chapter about them in my book (I titled it "Star Hustlers").


Not to be confused with Jack Horkheimer. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Chuck
2002-Jan-29, 06:10 PM
How much do they charge for naming a star? How much can I get for naming galaxies?

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-29, 07:51 PM
So, Phil's going to get sued for exposing the scam I bet /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Seriously, the legal tactics some of these outfits have used to supress the information are outrageous. Let us know if you start a legal defense fund /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Jan-29, 08:14 PM
On 2002-01-29 12:51, smzarba wrote:
And what can you say?
A co-worker did this for her dad. I just said "That's nice" because I didn't what to break her bubble. If it's a loved one though...yikes! Dangerous!


I had a coworker with one of their certificates posted prominently in his cubicle. I didn't say anything.

Russ
2002-Jan-30, 12:27 PM
On 2002-01-29 13:10, Chuck wrote:
How much do they charge for naming a star? How much can I get for naming galaxies?

They're asking $45 and you get an "Official" certificate, a star map to help find your star, an "facinating" booklet on astronomy and the undieing love of whoever. AND, as Phil mentioned, your name is registered in the US Copyright Office.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-30, 12:43 PM
On 2002-01-30 07:27, Russ wrote:
They're asking $45 and you get an "Official" certificate, a star map to help find your star, an "facinating" booklet on astronomy and the undieing love of whoever. AND, as Phil mentioned, your name is registered in the US Copyright Office.
The International Star Registry website (http://www.starregistry.com/) says $48, but there are packages available that cost up to $129.

Now that I posted that link, I feel so... ... ...

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jan-30, 07:32 PM
Go wash your hands, Grapes! That'll be 15 Paternosters, 37 Hail Marys, and for penance you have to personally apologise to anyone on this Board who actually sends any money to the ISR.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The (there, do you feel any better now?) Curtmudgeon

Zandermann
2002-Jan-31, 01:06 AM
The up-side to Russ' report is that the radio station in question is near the bottom of the Arbitron ratings (hovering right around the radio equivalent of the old TV test pattern from black-and-white days).

So with any bit of luck, absolutely no one except Russ has heard the commercial. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ljbrs
2002-Jan-31, 01:16 AM
I have named a lot of stars, galaxies, etc., after myself without paying one cent of my hard-earned money. Why settle for some teeny tiny celestial object which you need a gargantuan telescope to view. Select Sirius, Andromeda Galaxy, Ring Nebula, Magellanic Clouds (if you live in the Southern Hemisphere), etc. Then, sit back and enjoy looking at your sky full of delights named by you to be enjoyed by you.

Naming prominent celestial objects after yourselves can be good conversation pieces (if your astronomy friends have a sense of humor about their beloved celestial objects).

Then again, it might be a better idea to hide...

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-31, 01:40 PM
On 2002-01-30 14:32, The Curtmudgeon wrote:
and for penance you have to personally apologise to anyone on this Board who actually sends any money to the ISR.
Somehow, I don't think that that is going to be a problem.

lbjrs

Have you ever heard of the star Mintaka in Orion's belt?

CJSF
2002-Jan-31, 01:47 PM
Well, ferro means iron, so any celestial objects that have iron in them are mine.

CJSF

The Big Texan
2002-Jan-31, 03:35 PM
In regards to a gift, it is normally the thought that counts. It really shouldn't matter that no one is really going to name a star after you. Lighten up a bit.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-31, 04:05 PM
O no, Curtmudgeon, I may have to do that penance after all. Still, I don't think this counts.



On 2002-01-31 10:35, The Big Texan wrote:
In regards to a gift, it is normally the thought that counts. It really shouldn't matter that no one is really going to name a star after you. Lighten up a bit.

Right. If someone gives me such a gift, I'll receive it the same way I do others. I'll laugh at it. Still, that doesn't mean that the ISR is above criticism, does it? They're not the gift-giver.

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-31, 04:22 PM
Have you ever heard of the star Mintaka in Orion's belt?
Yup. It is right next to Kaptain K (formerly known as Alnilam) /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-31, 04:32 PM
In regards to a gift, it is normally the thought that counts. It really shouldn't matter that no one is really going to name a star after you.
The point is that ISR (and other star naming companies) lure the gullible by giving the impression that the name registered with them is "official" and that astronomers will refer to it by that name.
Not only that they will go to court at the drop of a hat if anybody tries to expose the scam. I am ready to contribute to that BADF* when his book hits the shelves.
*Bad Astronomer Defense Fund

ToSeek
2002-Jan-31, 05:14 PM
On 2002-01-30 20:16, ljbrs wrote:
Select Sirius, Andromeda Galaxy, Ring Nebula, Magellanic Clouds (if you live in the Southern Hemisphere), etc. Then, sit back and enjoy looking at your sky full of delights named by you to be enjoyed by you.


I have an even better idea: get the IAU to sell the naming rights for astronomical objects in order to raise money for astronomy research and the space program:

Microsoft (tm) Mars
Nokia (tm) Neptune
The MCI Orion Nebula

We could make a fortune for NASA and astronomy!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-31, 05:21 PM
On 2002-01-31 12:14, ToSeek wrote:
Microsoft (tm) Mars
And I thought the impactor that created Earth's moon billions of years ago was bad--what are we going to do when Mars crashes twice a day?

SeanF
2002-Jan-31, 05:26 PM
On 2002-01-31 12:14, ToSeek wrote:

I have an even better idea: get the IAU to sell the naming rights for astronomical objects in order to raise money for astronomy research and the space program:

Microsoft (tm) Mars
Nokia (tm) Neptune
The MCI Orion Nebula

We could make a fortune for NASA and astronomy!

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif


Think we can do this retroactively? How much can we get the Saturn auto company to pay in order to keep the planet named Saturn? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-31, 05:38 PM
"Think we can do this retroactively? How much can we get the Saturn auto company to pay in order to keep the planet named Saturn?"

So, are you saying it should be called Saturn Saturn /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Jan-31, 06:27 PM
Then there's this approach:

http://www.nasawatch.com/humor/images/shuttle.ads.jpg

Hale_Bopp
2002-Jan-31, 06:33 PM
I think there is still some room near the tail for a couple of more logos. You missed a spot!

Rob

ToSeek
2002-Jan-31, 07:40 PM
On 2002-01-31 13:33, Hale_Bopp wrote:
I think there is still some room near the tail for a couple of more logos. You missed a spot!

Rob


You should see the other side! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Wiley
2002-Jan-31, 07:51 PM
On 2002-01-31 12:21, GrapesOfWrath wrote:


On 2002-01-31 12:14, ToSeek wrote:
Microsoft (tm) Mars
And I thought the impactor that created Earth's moon billions of years ago was bad--what are we going to do when Mars crashes twice a day?


Reboot the solar system.

Now how do you get Windows to crash only twice a day?

hullaballo
2002-Jan-31, 09:01 PM
I have an even better idea: get the IAU to sell the naming rights for astronomical objects in order to raise money for astronomy research and the space program:

Microsoft (tm) Mars
Nokia (tm) Neptune
The MCI Orion Nebula

Enron Enceledus?
Maybe that's what caused their financial trouble how much does a moon cost?

Valiant Dancer
2002-Feb-05, 01:07 PM
On 2002-01-31 14:51, Wiley wrote:


On 2002-01-31 12:21, GrapesOfWrath wrote:


On 2002-01-31 12:14, ToSeek wrote:
Microsoft (tm) Mars
And I thought the impactor that created Earth's moon billions of years ago was bad--what are we going to do when Mars crashes twice a day?


Reboot the solar system.

Now how do you get Windows to crash only twice a day?



Shut it down and quit using it after the second crash.

All hail the Demon of Redmond. Windows is his spawn.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Sep-30, 01:19 PM
On 2002-01-31 14:51, Wiley wrote:
Now how do you get Windows to crash only twice a day?
I was using the official Microsoft stats, YMMV. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

On a lighter note, the International Star Registry has spawned clones. I just noticed Moon Property (http://www.moonproperty.net/), which allows you to buy parcels of land on the moon. I wonder if they're in violation of any treaties?

KarenS
2002-Sep-30, 02:35 PM
I keep waiting for someone to start selling the rights to the sun's energy--you'll be assigned a certain parcel of surface area, and if you can harvest it, it's yours to keep and do with what you want.

David Hall
2002-Sep-30, 05:26 PM
On 2002-09-30 09:19, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On a lighter note, the International Star Registry has spawned clones. I just noticed Moon Property (http://www.moonproperty.net/), which allows you to buy parcels of land on the moon. I wonder if they're in violation of any treaties?


I seem to recall a long discussion of this back on the old board. If not this outfit, then another one like it. Too bad there aren't any archives of that time. I believe the conclusion was that the treaties are a little vague on the issue of private property, and not every country (*cough*USA*cough*) has signed them anyway.

In any case, it's surely to be a scam, as it's unlikely that any governing body will ever enforce these "deeds".

jumbo
2002-Oct-01, 09:43 AM
"I keep waiting for someone to start selling the rights to the sun's energy--you'll be assigned a certain parcel of surface area, and if you can harvest it, it's yours to keep and do with what you want. "
Wasnt there a guy recently who didnt like the selling off of the solar system and who reckoned that if people could buy bits of the moon the he`d buy the sun and charge the moon owners an energy bill. He decided to give the energy for free to us earth types though.
If his claim to the sun wasnt valid then neither were the moon claims so he wins there. If the moon claims were valid so was his sun claim then he also wins via the energy bill!

Sum0
2002-Oct-01, 07:58 PM
Not to mention the multitute of astronomy related snack treats... Mars, Milky Way, Galaxy... hey, they're all much more romantic gifts.
BTW, my last name means brown or something similar, so I have a claim on HD 136118 b... **insert geeky laugh here**

Digital Apprentice
2002-Oct-01, 08:42 PM
It isn't just radio ads either: Shining Stars Doll (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000649DY/ref=br_fq_t_glbl_4//104-5073771-4442301?v=glance&s=toys&n=171570)

From the review:

"Making this doll extra stellar is the included gift for its caregiver: a very own star and official star-naming kit. Recipients simply choose any name and then officially register it with the International Star Registry..."

D.

(edit - missing punctuation)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Digital Apprentice on 2002-10-01 16:44 ]</font>