PDA

View Full Version : Microphones

Apophis
2006-Dec-14, 07:48 AM
Just curious.

What kind of microphones do you guys use to record the show?

Fraser
2006-Dec-14, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure what Pamela's using. I use a Shure SM58 and run it through an Altec L-6 preamp.

We record the show as a double ender. We use Skype to talk to each other, but we both record our halves of the show into our computers. Then I FTP my half of the show to Pamela and she mixes them together so it sounds like we're in the same room. It's a little extra work, but I really like the final product.

Pamela and I have never actually met. :-)

Apophis
2006-Dec-15, 05:18 AM
Ah ha! I knew it had to be a Sure. Way to clean to be anything else. Pamela's sounds a bit different though, not worse, just different.

Thanks for indulging a music/astronomy geek.

Fraser
2006-Dec-15, 06:33 AM
Yeah, I can take it and sing in a punk rock band if I want; they're indestructible.

One of the biggest hassles we had with this is figuring how to stop Skype from trying to automatically reset your volume levels. Fixing that made a huge difference in sound quality.

Apophis
2006-Dec-15, 08:59 AM
Do you sing in a punk rock band?

Couldn't you just send the audio to whatever sound recording program and export it to Skype in real-time. I know there's a program called Virtual Audio Cable, or something similar (I don't have it, only read about it) that basically does this. As long as your sound recording program supports real-time exporting. Then again, this is all moot since you obviously already fixed the problem. Yeah, I'll just stop now...