PDA

View Full Version : Bad eclipse comment

TheGalaxyTrio
2003-May-16, 01:01 AM

"Because of the pollution in our atmosphere, it's likely the moon will turn a deep red,'' Tampa astronomer Joseph Carr said. "This is what scared the pants off of people in ancient times.''

So, they had pollution in ancient times, huh? And pants.

Or does he mean all that oxygen and nitrogen cluttering up the atmosphere?

Am I misreading this, or does Carr need a smack upside the head?

russ_watters
2003-May-16, 01:15 AM
It should be illegal to practice astronomy without a license.

freddo
2003-May-16, 02:02 AM
It should be illegal to practice astronomy without a license.

Too discriminatory... Should read:

It should be illegal to practice astronomy without a brain.

frenat
2003-May-16, 03:37 AM
You think that's bad. Earlier this evening, the main page of Yahoo had an article titled "Lunar eclipse casts shadow on earth" It was changed about an hour later.

freddo
2003-May-16, 04:47 AM
Yahoo at least, do not parade as Astronomers. [shrug]

C.

Mirror Man
2003-May-16, 08:37 AM
You think that's bad. Earlier this evening, the main page of Yahoo had an article titled "Lunar eclipse casts shadow on earth" It was changed about an hour later.

I wish someone had captured a screen shot of that one :D

David Hall
2003-May-16, 04:57 PM
Forest fires and volcanic eruptions can put enough dust into the atmosphere to cause red moons. It doesn't have to be man-made pollution.

I caught a view of the Moon this evening and it was a very dark, ruddy orange color. It wasn't the eclipse, because it wasn't visible from here, so it must have been atmospheric particulates. Looked eerily like a penumbral lunar eclipse though.

Russ
2003-May-16, 07:05 PM
We must not have as polluted an atmosphere as the ancients. I watched the elipse last night and you really had to look closely to see any redness. It must be the spectacularly clean air around Cincinnati. :roll:

dgruss23
2003-May-16, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't know. I was too busy with "cloud pollution".

tracer
2003-May-17, 02:16 AM
Well ... I suppose that's not too far off. I mean, when the full moon is shining, it lights up the night side of the Earth a little bit. When the full moon is eclipsed, the night side of the Earth doesn't receive that little extra bit of moonlight. So it's kinda-sorta-maybe like a shadow.

(Personally, I thought the eclipsed moon looked like the Death Star.)

redrefractor
2003-May-19, 08:46 PM
I watched the eclipse from here in Sicily, so the moon was getting low in the SW haze when full eclipse occured. It was wild; our satellite just faded away! I could make it our through my 'scope for abut five minutes after we lost sight by eye, but it was just a charcoal disk, which vanished in the morning twilight.

Great eclipse!