PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Eggomentum

Tuiliq
2006-Dec-22, 04:24 PM
The Theory of Eggomentum: an egg that is balanced tends to get more stable over time.

I sail offshore. You quickly learn a surprising truth about eggs: they will keep unrefrigerated more-or-less indefinitely, even in warm weather, if you occasionally turn them end-over-end. This is because the egg white in a motionless egg will gradually ooze down through the bottom of the shell under the influence of gravity. Once that happens, oxygen gets inside the egg and the egg spoils. You can actually see the albumin that has wicked out if you look very closely.

So, I wonder. If you balance an egg on end, it might tend to become more stable as time passes: the tiny bumps on the shell that presumably hold the egg steady might eventually be assisted by a thin film of eggwhite that helps the shape of the egg conform to the shape of the surface: a little custom-extruded egg-cup, so to speak.

Of course, once that happens, the egg is going to start to smell.

It's like everything in life: once you start to get the results you want, somebody makes a big stink and spoils it. Just ask Pons and Fleischmann.

Unregistered
2007-Apr-27, 01:40 PM
The Theory of Eggomentum: an egg that is balanced tends to get more stable over time.

I sail offshore. You quickly learn a surprising truth about eggs: they will keep unrefrigerated more-or-less indefinitely, even in warm weather, if you occasionally turn them end-over-end. This is because the egg white in a motionless egg will gradually ooze down through the bottom of the shell under the influence of gravity. Once that happens, oxygen gets inside the egg and the egg spoils. You can actually see the albumin that has wicked out if you look very closely.

So, I wonder. If you balance an egg on end, it might tend to become more stable as time passes: the tiny bumps on the shell that presumably hold the egg steady might eventually be assisted by a thin film of eggwhite that helps the shape of the egg conform to the shape of the surface: a little custom-extruded egg-cup, so to speak.

Of course, once that happens, the egg is going to start to smell.

It's like everything in life: once you start to get the results you want, somebody makes a big stink and spoils it. Just ask Pons and Fleischmann.

I dont believe you....

Sp1ke
2007-Apr-27, 02:03 PM
I dont believe you....

And which bit don't you believe, Mr. Unregistered? That you can balance an egg on its end? That rotten eggs smell? That Tuiliq sails offshore?

cjl
2007-Apr-28, 06:55 PM
My bet is that the part that they don't believe is that eggs keep indefinitely if you turn them over from time to time. I wouldn't know whether it was true, but it sounds a little hard to believe (I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it is surprising if it is true).

Sp1ke
2007-Apr-28, 09:37 PM
OK, I was overdoing the sarcasm.

The basic idea does sound plausible although I think "indefinitely" might be stretching it a bit. This should be a pretty simple thing to test - take an egg, turn it once every day, continue for, say, three months then check if it has gone bad. If not, there's something in this idea; if it has gone bad, game over.

I don't know how long eggs normally last since I don't eat them so I'll have to rely on someone else having the inclination to test this idea...