PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy where you least expect it

SollyLama
2003-May-16, 07:51 PM
:P
I love to see references to astronomy pop up in everyday life.
Cycle World's Sportbike 2003 edition magazine has a comparison between touring sport bikes with a photo shoot outside of the Palomar Observatory.
Their point is that since sport bikes aren't very comfortable your 'riding horizon' is limited, much like our naked eye view on the universe. Comfortable sport touring bikes are like telescopes in that they extend your range- in this case riding.
They compare the performance range of the bikes to the visible light spectrum, and even mention the distance to Alpha Centauri (correctly!) in another reference.
Yeah, they are stretching the comparison, but it's nice to see astronomy portrayed in a good light without any sci-fi intrusion.

freddo
2003-May-19, 05:07 AM
That sounds very refreshing - it's all to common presently to just whilly-nilly borrow astronomy terms for marketing because they sound cool. How much better it can be when you use cool astronomy terms correctly - and you won't get chewed out on this BB!

C.

Colt
2003-May-19, 05:41 AM
Here is one which I scribbled down off of the menu at Red Robins the other day:

Crispy Chicken Burger -
"A breaded chicken breast is launched into orbit where it gets crispy outside but stays moist and tender inside."

Didn't know that being in orbit would do that to a piece of chicken. :wink: -Colt

Grand Vizier
2003-May-19, 11:30 AM
Here is one which I scribbled down off of the menu at Red Robins the other day:

Crispy Chicken Burger -
"A breaded chicken breast is launched into orbit where it gets crispy outside but stays moist and tender inside."

Didn't know that being in orbit would do that to a piece of chicken. :wink: -Colt

Nice. The one that always makes wince is when a product is 'light years ahead' of the competition. (Of course it could be first in an interstellar race, but that isn't usually what they're trying to say...)

tracer
2003-May-20, 01:49 AM
Crispy Chicken Burger -

Didn't know that being in orbit would do that to a piece of chicken.
Being in orbit won't do that to a piece of chicken, but coming back down sure will! (And then some.)