PDA

View Full Version : COROT is Blasted Into Space

Fraser
2006-Dec-27, 09:07 PM
The debut launch of the Soyuz 2-1b rocket carried ESA's COROT space telescope into orbit today. The rocket lifted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakstan at 1423 GMT (9:23 am EST). ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2006/12/27/corot-is-blasted-into-space/)

Don Alexander
2006-Dec-28, 04:17 AM
A new space telescope is successfully launched, and no one is around to give any comments??? A pity!!!

Well, *I* wish good luck to the whole COROT team, since I am on the periphery of this mission (the director of the observatory where I'm doing my PhD is one of the Co_Is of the mission).

Alex

Maksutov
2006-Dec-28, 08:27 AM
A new space telescope is successfully launched, and no one is around to give any comments??? A pity!!!

Well, *I* wish good luck to the whole COROT team, since I am on the periphery of this mission (the director of the observatory where I'm doing my PhD is one of the Co_Is of the mission).

AlexGreat news!

I expected to see this in the "Space Exploration" forum.

Actually, it was there (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=695473&postcount=1), with lots of comments.

How soon until we find the mission's first new planet?

futumsch
2006-Dec-28, 07:20 PM
I tried watching the launch using the live player on the CNES website. Unfortunately there didn't appear to be any video stream. shame.
Did anyone else have any luck?

Chris

Random63
2006-Dec-31, 04:02 AM
Where are the pictures of the new rocket? That's what I'm interested in. Also, when do they start launching from South America?

Spacemad
2006-Dec-31, 12:06 PM
Quote from Lauchwindow:

Corot will be the first mission capable of detecting rocky planets. This mission is not 100% certain yet, and is not totally guaranteed, plus ESA do have mishaps or sometimes get their budget cut. However the recent trend from European exploration with great results from Mars Express, Cluster, Rosetta, Xmm-Newton and Venus Express would suggest ESA is on a roll of success lately.

Couldn't agree with you more! ESA is indeed onto a "winning streak"! Their probes during the last few years have had a phenomenal success & have returned some of the most important data to date.

Their lastest mission to find rocky planets orbiting other stars will, no doubt, have as much success as the previous missions to our solar system. If there are are rocky planets out there to be detected, Corot will find them! I don't think we will have to wait long either. Just as soon as the commissioning phase is over & the scientific phase begins we will see the first results!

folkhemmet
2006-Dec-31, 04:37 PM
Best of luck to COROT! I bet it will significantly improve our understanding of extrasolar planets and stars. I look forward to reading about the first results.