PDA

View Full Version : Planetry harmonics

carolyn
2003-May-17, 10:04 PM
No, not the new age hype, before you all go for my jugular. :wink:

But i would like to know if planets give of any sound or vibrational hum?

If they do would the pitch / vibration (?) change with

a) their speed of rotation ?
b) their composition ?
c) their size ?
d) all of the above

could you then detect different planet types by listening to the different vibrational energy (no sound in space - right?) or are there to many planets for that to be possible?

2003-May-17, 11:24 PM
Yes, the earth has a hum. I forget the term for it, but it is, I believe in the VLF range around 4 Hz or so?

DStahl
2003-May-17, 11:27 PM
Hey, that would be a neat demonstration: express the orbital and rotational modes of the planets and moons as waveforms adjusted (as much as possible) to the audible frequencies.

But as far as the unadjusted waveforms: if the Earth orbits the Sun once every 365 days, then I would think that would be naturally expressed as a sine wave with a period of 365 days. That's WAY below anything humans can perceive as sound. Rotationally, a frequency of 24 hours is still not anywhere near the audible spectrum.

What the heck, though! Astronomers routinely shift ultraviolet and infrared observations into the visible spectrum, so why not shift the orbital and rotational frequencies into the audible spectrum? It could be fun...and I'll bet it has been done, since I firmly believe that just about anything I causally imagine has been thought of before by someone, sometime. I'll just have a bit of a Google...

Klausnh
2003-May-18, 02:48 AM
From the chapter "The Music of the Spheres" out of A Little Book of Coincidence by John Martineau:

"With his accurate data, Kepler now set about precisely calculating these long imagined "Harmoniae Mundi". He particularly noticed that the ratios between planets' extreme angular velocities were all harmonic intervals."
Anybody here know what "extreme angular velocities" are?
It goes on
"More recently, in 1968, research by A.M. Molchanov revealed the entire solar system as a "tuned" quantum resonant structure, with Jupiter as the conductor."
Anybody have an idea what a ""tuned" quantum resonant structure" is?

carolyn
2003-May-18, 07:49 AM
Hey, that would be a neat demonstration: express the orbital and rotational modes of the planets and moons as waveforms adjusted (as much as possible) to the audible frequencies.

snip .

If then planets do 'hum' and if you could demonstate this in some way, could you then use the results to find 'so far' undiscovered bodies? if the frequencies were measurable, mathmaticaly? if there was a missing frequency or some such? and could this only be used localy ? or could you use the same process to map systems further afield?

would it be only planetary bodies which 'hum' or do black holes and the like 'hum' too?

if the 'hum' is mesurable could you then use that to find out the composition of far flung planetary bodies? eg if earth = 4KHz and is composed of x & Y and mars is ? KHz and is composed of x + z then distant planet Q whos' 'hum' is ? KHz must be composed of a proportion of x+?. Does that make sence?

Ooh brain hurts now.

carolyn
2003-May-18, 07:53 AM
PS and why is Jupitor the conductor ?

a7304757
2003-May-19, 12:22 PM
I just read your posts. In fact years ago I inquired and remember there is a group that had developed a computer program called
MIDI PLANETARIUM. They sold the software and it did all the job playing the music according to daily horoscope or manual input, I think it worked in MS DOS.
I inquired for update and price but got no answer.
Perhaps if you google and send them a pic of yourself they might respond.

ToSeek
2003-May-19, 04:36 PM
Kepler's "Music of the Spheres" (http://www.visual-kepler.org/music/) has been performed.

carolyn
2003-May-19, 06:12 PM
got relly exited and thought I would be able to listen, thought I was, to a distant humming sound, then realised its' next doors hoover! :roll: Oh well!!! is there any place I can hear this?

a7304757
2003-May-19, 07:13 PM
got relly exited and thought I would be able to listen, thought I was, to a distant humming sound, then realised its' next doors hoover! :roll: Oh well!!! is there any place I can hear this?

I really got angry once, when I read they have a freeware for the Artari only. I kept my C64 from times of yore, but now I am not sure anymore if it can emulate an Artari computer with it

But I read they have a CD ROM for PC developed as well, but you need to click on email address there and inquire for price.
I probably spent hundred of hours to get some decent over all solution, believe me. I even bought a second hand Creative Labs SB Live soundcard only to find out there was no PCI slot left on my computer for it? Why all this. To hear the planetary sounds you need a sound system that can play just or better justonic (TM) sounds, that is true pitches and not tempered ones, otherwise it is no fun. Why to get all these ratios down to hearing level and then put them on the keyboard, all the ancients used a monochord for this. So Justonics developed a method, to recalculate the sounds while you play them on the keyboard to just ratios. But I think they are broke by now, their development was for Roland synthesizers and they had some trouble with MS, I believe?

Barbara Hero has been into this for many decades now, I guess the lady will never come out of it again, it just goes over your head, she keeps discovering more and more without end, exciting to watch
http://www.lambdoma.com/Contents.html

carolyn
2003-May-19, 08:02 PM
thanks i'll give it a look :D

:o it looks big :o
(i'll give it a look over the weekend ewhen I have some time!)