PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise: First Flight

Colt
2003-May-18, 05:25 AM
I am watching the episode of "First Flight" right now, first time.

In the bar scene there is a picture of the S.S. Enterprise! The same one that is on the plaque in ST:TMP. AFAIK no one has been able to figure out a date before for this ship. Now that it has been shown in that episode, sometime in the past, we know that it must have been around 2120-2130. Anyones thoughts on this? It has been theorized (now that we have seen some Vulcan ships of the era) that this was a Human built ship to resemble the Vulcan's design.. Anyway, that is about it. When I saw it I started jumping around and yelling at my brother about it so I felt I had to post something. :oops: -Colt

The Bad Astronomer
2003-May-18, 05:51 PM
I'm just saying, this is the episode I watched them film when I was visiting the set (http://www.badastronomy.com/fun/la_adventure.html). I was just behind a side entrance to the bar, next to the table where Archer was sitting after he heard A.G. got the first flight. The bar set was incredible; the details as fantastic. There were pictures of spaceships all over the walls, but I didn't get any pictures. :-(

I wish I had been there for the fight scene!

g99
2003-May-18, 06:10 PM
haha. lol.

lucky stiff. :-)

Donnie B.
2003-May-19, 12:34 AM
I'm just saying, this is the episode I watched them film when I was visiting the set (http://www.badastronomy.com/fun/la_adventure.html). I was just behind a side entrance to the bar, next to the table where Archer was sitting after he heard A.G. got the first flight. The bar set was incredible; the details as fantastic. There were pictures of spaceships all over the walls, but I didn't get any pictures. :-(

I wish I had been there for the fight scene!
Phil, you dog!

But hey... didn't you talk them into using you as an extra in that bar scene? You could have been "man at the bar #2"... 8)

ToSeek
2003-May-19, 02:38 AM
Did anyone else blurt out "Magnificent desolation" when Archer had the line about what the second man on the Moon said?

Colt
2003-May-19, 04:32 AM
Yeah. :D

We had a thread in the BBA where I asked if they talked about the torpedoes at all and how they worked. I have no clue what happened to that thread though. -Colt

Glom
2003-Jun-02, 07:49 PM
Despite a few problems. It seemed much better than the usual episode.

Good things
During the test, Archer, a fellow pilot was the one doing the communicating (hence, CAPCOMM).
Forrest was a commodore at this time. (TOS continuity? Never!)
Everyone on sites had security clearance tags.
In a dumbed down kind of way, they acted like pilots and engineers working on advancing technology in the midst of beaurocracy and politics. In other words, more realistic than their portrayal of explorers on a pioneering mission as the pathetic investigation of this dark matter nebula in this episode showed.
There was evidence of procedures in the operation of this program, which are absent from the Enterprise.
That launch rail was good.
"Has anyone bothered to look?" :lol:

Bad things
Archer insisted on strutting about while doing his CAPCOMM thing.
The Vulcans had no need to get involved.
Tucker turned up in the memory and reminded us just of why he needs a slap. :evil:
There is this big deal made out of only one pilot getting to be the first. There were two seats on the spacecraft. :o :lol: :lol:
T'Pol says Archer solved his bad captain skills problem. Throughout the series, Archer has acted like an irresponsible, immature, overgrown teenager. He has done things that would make future captains cringe. But this could have been the point. Archer did a bad job and future captains learned from it. However, validating Archer's captaincy pulls the plug on the big point.
They work out the problem quickly and they solve it in time to steal the ship. Traditional Trekkish annoying stuff.

Donnie B.
2003-Jun-03, 12:09 AM
Oh, one thing about the launch rail made me cringe. It bent upward near the end!

WRONG!

The point of a launch rail is to build up a lot of speed using earth-based energy, so you don't have to carry that much more fuel. Therefore you want your ship to be going at some halacious speed at the end of the ramp (the elevation angle doesn't matter much, since the ship is powered, not ballistic).

But if you introduce that sharp z-axis turn at those halacious speeds, your pilot becomes a puddle of goo on the seat. Or, if the g-forces are tolerable, then your launch rail is pretty useless. Better to just strap on some expendable boosters... er, well, maybe not.

Colt
2003-Jun-03, 12:23 AM
Actually, I know that some Russian carriers have a fairly sharply upward curved ramp at the end of their flight decks to get the jet that extra bit of elevation. Well, maybe not that sharp: http://www.bemil.pe.kr/spboard/id/sea_data_board1/files/1_02pic.jpg. -Colt

freddo
2003-Jun-03, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately Colt, thats not an analogy we can draw a parallel to... Aircraft taking off from that carrier there are only going to be doing enough clicks to get themselves into the air... They are most certainly not attempting to achieve escape velocity from the Earth's atmosphere!!! :)

C.

wedgebert
2003-Jun-03, 01:01 AM
Aircraft are going a lot slower though and there is a severe lack of runway on an aircraft carrier so the jets need the extra upward momentium to have time to build speed.

freddo
2003-Jun-03, 01:17 AM
Ooops... didn't make my second point - wedgebert has also alluded to it... An aircraft pilot travelling at that kind of speed is quite capable of tolerating vertical g's... Pilots of massively quick spacecraft on rails are not as blessed!

C.

Glom
2004-Mar-14, 05:02 PM
Saw part of the episode again on Channel Four. I only saw about ten minutes early on before I couldn't watch anymore (it's obviously not a watchable as I remember).

One thing that struck me was Archer in that bar pining over not being chosen for that command. Without a shadow of a doubt, he was upset because he wasn't going to be first because he told the waitress that no-one remembers those who are second. We are supposed to feel sympathy for Archer, but I found myself wanting to shoot him.

How can you feel sympathy for someone who's getting manic depressive because his vanity isn't satisfied?

We are admire the role Buzz Aldrin played as lunar module pilot. Who cares about the ignorant peasants in the public who don't know that Apollo 11 even had a crew of three? Aldrin did a good job and his is respected among his field for that, as is the case with Armstrong. There is little difference to those who matter.