PDA

View Full Version : Storms colliding on Jupiter

ToSeek
2002-Jan-31, 01:52 PM
All Eyes on Jupiter as Huge 'Hurricanes' Collide (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/jupiter_storms_020131.html)

Any of our denizens watching this? (My telescope isn't quite good enough, alas.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ToSeek on 2002-01-31 08:53 ]</font>

Wally
2002-Jan-31, 05:34 PM
Darn! And me still w/out a scope! Hey Russ. Can I live vicariously thru you and your LX200 for this event??? Let us know what you see.

ps. How much more detailed are the photos of Jupiter on that page as compared to a view thru a 8" at moderate to high mag??? I noticed they at least didn't seem to be color enhanced, which I think is good. . .

Russ
2002-Feb-01, 04:46 PM
On 2002-01-31 12:34, Wally wrote:
Darn! And me still w/out a scope! Hey Russ. Can I live vicariously thru you and your LX200 for this event??? Let us know what you see.

I seeeeee.......cloud bottoms. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif The only vicarious thrill you'll get from me is if you're turned on by terresterial cloud bottoms. We have had only three clear nights in the last 6 weeks, so the Moon could have vanished & I wouldn't know. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

ps. How much more detailed are the photos of Jupiter on that page as compared to a view thru a 8" at moderate to high mag??? I noticed they at least didn't seem to be color enhanced, which I think is good. . .

You will NEVER see an image comperable to those pics. with your eye through an amature scope. There will be moments (1 to 10 sec.) of clarity. You'll see the banding and GRS but not anywhere near the clarity & color of those pics. Sorry!

Russ
2002-Feb-02, 06:13 PM
Hey!!!! It was clear last night. I took a peak but the GRS etc. was not on this side when I could look. There was not much detail as the air turbulence was high. It just got cold again after about 1.5 weeks of warm weather. The ground was really putting out the heat. Every now and again I'd get a second or two of clarity enough to see banding but mostly saw fuzz.

Saturn is putting on a good show of its' rings. It was so turbulent last night they actually appeard to undulate. An airliner flew through my field of view.... really made me jump! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif