PDA

View Full Version : General question about bulletin boards

Melanie
2003-May-18, 04:50 PM
I have never met such an intelligent group of people to talk to. Unfortunately, this board is restricted to astronomy and so I was wondering whether any of you know of another board of similar callibre. I have been searching for years and have not found one.

As I wrote in another post, there are issues stemming from the Planet X phenomenon that are more interesting to me than the debate over its existence (such as freedom of speech, legal and ethical culpability, psychological vulnerability to consipiracy theories and cults, means of accessing truth etc). As you can probably tell, my interests are psychology, philosophy and sociology. It has been suggested that this is not the appropriate board, so I was wondering if you know of others. Thanks,
Mel.

(sleepy mistakes edited)

David Hall
2003-May-18, 06:56 PM
Greetings Melanie.

The rules here are to keep things nominally within the field of astronomy. That doesn't keep us from going pretty wide off the mark on occasion, but it does mean we have to eventually drift back or have the thread locked. In the PX forum though, I don't think it's too far of the mark to talk about the ramifications of the phenomenon. Heck, whatever you're thinking of has probably already been mentioned anyway. :-)

As for other forums, the Straight Dope (http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/index.php) message board seems to be closest to what you are looking for, but it suffers from too much activity. Good discussions are continually getting lost in the shuffle. You might find the BA himself there occasionally. Some people here also frequent the JREF forum (http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/), good for in-depth discussion of weird stuff, but I don't frequent it so I don't know what the exact atmosphere is like. Finally, the Urban Legends Message Board (http://www.ulrp.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) often has good discussions about all the goofiness you'll find in the world. Again, I don't know much about it personally though, but I think it's geared more towards the general public than the intelligentsia.

g99
2003-May-18, 07:24 PM
The Apollohax forums (www.apollohoax.com/forums) has many of the same members as on this board and there are options to talk about anything. But it is alot quieter than this board. :-)

Melanie
2003-May-18, 08:07 PM
Thank you g99 and David for those suggestions. I'll check them out!
Mel.

2003-May-18, 08:38 PM
You know, that does bring up a good point. Most BBs have a forum for general chat. Perhaps we should as well. It would be a place to discuss issues that don't belong elsewhere on the board and I think it would help with a sense of community. For example, discussion like the latest movie (*cough* Matrix *cough*) could go there instead of the bad movies board.

Melanie
2003-May-18, 08:51 PM
From what I can see, this board has drawn a great group of people and it seems a shame that we would have to dissapate to discuss other things. With respect to creating a sense of community, I think the 'introductions' sections on other BBs are interesting, where members can answer 20 Q's etc.
Mel.

Colt
2003-May-19, 04:30 AM
You know, that does bring up a good point. Most BBs have a forum for general chat. Perhaps we should as well. It would be a place to discuss issues that don't belong elsewhere on the board and I think it would help with a sense of community. For example, discussion like the latest movie (*cough* Matrix *cough*) could go there instead of the bad movies board.

We have discused the idea of a General Forum before but it was firmly stamped out by the BA since this is an Astronomy website. -Colt

kilopi
2003-May-19, 02:56 PM
From what I can see, this board has drawn a great group of people and it seems a shame that we would have to dissapate to discuss other things. With respect to creating a sense of community, I think the 'introductions' sections on other BBs are interesting, where members can answer 20 Q's etc.
Mel.
The community exists, you just have to hang around a while. We do still have Megan's guestbook (http://www.jump.net/~rmal/BAusers.htm), although I'm not sure that it can still be updated. A lot of people organize chats, and online meets, and there is even a get-together planned in reallife in Ohio this summer, I think.