PDA

View Full Version : Education question

BISMARCK
2007-Jan-11, 09:23 PM
Astronomy and physics has always been a kind of casual hobby of mine, and I'm interested in taking a college class or two just for the fun of it in order to sharpen my understanding of the various things I read (such as stuff on this website).

I live in New York City, so what colleges here are known for these sciences? Columbia? NYU? Hunter?

Any suggestions or information would be helpful. I actually would like to take calculus again, since it's been so long.

George
2007-Jan-11, 09:47 PM
Each university should have a web site showing you their courses and description. I know too little of these colleges to answer your question properly, however.

On a smaller scale, we are hoping to develop courses here on BAUT (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=49292). Your input is welcome, too.

There are two online astronomy programs out of Australia. They are not free but they seem to be fairly comprehensive.

A free online introductory, but tough, course is offered at MIT, thanks to the searching by hhEb09.1 and 01101001. [See post 126 on the link given.]

Let us know what you find.

BISMARCK
2007-Jan-11, 10:08 PM
Hmm, that MIT class looks interesting. Maybe I'll do that first to gauge my aptitude at this point and go from there concerning taking a class at a school.

I'd be interested in a semi-formalized course on this site, but I need to read through that thread to get up to speed.

StupendousMan
2007-Jan-12, 12:41 AM
Hmm, that MIT class looks interesting. Maybe I'll do that first to gauge my aptitude at this point and go from there concerning taking a class at a school.

I'd be interested in a semi-formalized course on this site, but I need to read through that thread to get up to speed.

I posted a note to the off-topic babbling forum; it contains links to course materials I use in teaching intro and advanced astronomy courses.

Link to the post and course materials. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=49292&page=5)

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-12, 01:00 AM
BISMARCK,

Look up John Pazmino. He is an amateur astronomy person in
NYC who has posted about upcoming astronomy-related events
in the city for years. Before I first heard of the Internet, even.
He can tell you where to get more info. I suspect that one of
the first places he'll mention will be the Rose Center for Earth
and Space at the American Museum of Natural History.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

BISMARCK
2007-Jan-12, 03:39 AM
Ok, thanks. I've actually spent about half a day with Dr. Tyson before; it was interesting.