PDA

View Full Version : Comet McNaught is Now Visible in the Daytime!

Fraser
2007-Jan-14, 01:24 AM
Okay, this is unprecedented. The really bright Comet McNaught that I mentioned a few days ago is now so bright that you can see it in the daytime. It's extremely close to the Sun, so you need a way that you can block the glare of the Sun, but still see the sky. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/01/13/comet-mcnaught-is-now-visible-in-the-daytime/)

Cruithne3753
2007-Jan-14, 04:14 AM
This sneaked up on me, I'd never even heard of comet McNaught until only a few days ago! When Hale-Bopp came along, I'd already heard of it a year in advance.

Typically, interesting astronomical phenomena = wall-to-wall cloudy weather in the UK.

chicagoastronomer
2007-Jan-14, 09:59 AM
A comet in broad daylight and naked eye!

Just incredible!

I will try to observe and photograph it if Chicago's skies clear.

Amazing!

eagleheart
2007-Jan-14, 02:02 PM
cloudy here as well...for two weeks without a break. I hope i will get a chance to observe tomorrow.

galacsi
2007-Jan-14, 02:48 PM
cloudy here as well...for two weeks without a break. I hope i will get a chance to observe tomorrow.

A Sunny sunday here , north of Paris , but I think I wake up too late. And the light was very bright and the sky full of contrails so I did not see anything.

Sagantool
2007-Jan-14, 05:11 PM
Cloudy here also. Actually, our first snow fell this morning (not much and about two months late). Tuesday morning looks good for a sunrise visual on this comet. I will have my gear ready and will hopefully get a picture!

Gsquare
2007-Jan-14, 05:34 PM
Okay, this is unprecedented. The really bright Comet McNaught that I mentioned a few days ago is now so bright that you can see it in the daytime. It's extremely close to the Sun, so you need a way that you can block the glare of the Sun, but still see the sky. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/01/13/comet-mcnaught-is-now-visible-in-the-daytime/)

I saw some prediction that there is a possibility it could reach magnitude -3 or -4 this friday or saturday. Your blog says -5 already ??? Yikes...is that true?
It should be 10 degrees from Venus (lower to the right) just after sunset. However, its a little late now.
That could make it the brightest comet in 30 - 40 years. Should also get within 50 arc. sec. of Mercury.

At 0.17 A.U. at closest approach, some have even predicted it will break up ( I don't know).

Here's a SOHO 'movie' image of the approach:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/

Ought to be a good show.

Gsquare

WaxRubiks
2007-Jan-14, 05:52 PM
and in the noughties too.

John Mendenhall
2007-Jan-15, 05:33 PM
Excellent posting work, Fraser, thank you! Now if it will only stop being cloudy here . . .

Sticks
2007-Jan-15, 05:36 PM
This is the UK

Permenantly raining and overcast

Aaaaghhhhhhhh

Rob1ooo1oo
2007-Jan-15, 06:21 PM
Has anyone in the UK seen it yet, I almost caught it at the right time but I was a few mins too late.

salter
2007-Jan-15, 08:38 PM
I am in Portland, OR USA, we have had clear skies the last 2 days, but I haven't been able to see it.

Can anyone tell me where to look? I've been looking a fist-width away from the sun, to the left, at noon (and several other places and times) with no luck.

C0ppert0p
2007-Jan-15, 10:45 PM
Dammit... Now everything has a green hue to it :)

keywestmike
2007-Jan-15, 11:37 PM
Clear here in Key West, got a nice green flash at sunset but the comet is a no show, so far tonight. Sunset about 25 minutes ago. In terms of one's fist held at arm's lenght, how far is 10 degrees? Venus looks bright.

snabald
2007-Jan-16, 12:20 AM
We've had perma-clouds for weeks here - figures as much. :neutral:

Fraser
2007-Jan-16, 04:09 AM
The important thing is that you need some way to block out the glare of the Sun. That's why you want to stand in the shadow of a building. Of course, the comet might be obscured by the building too, so find a different building where the clear sky is on the other side.

I think the real show will get going in a few more days when the comet is visible in the night sky again.

DJ Barney
2007-Jan-16, 08:45 AM
So are there any Observatory shots of this Comet ?

Or is too near the sun ?

As good as SOHO is, it's a low res image (ie no detail).

DJBarney

Eroica
2007-Jan-16, 09:40 AM
ToSeeked (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=903447&postcount=22)

dirty_g
2007-Jan-16, 02:24 PM
According to www.spaceweather.com it will only be viewable in the Southern Hemisphere. Bah!! I hate that comet now.... They get the Magellanic clouds and also the comet in the evening as well. BAH!!

dirty_g
2007-Jan-16, 02:25 PM
Has anyone in the UK seen it yet, I almost caught it at the right time but I was a few mins too late. Oh and also yes I did see it a few days ago whilst looking out of a window at work. I saw it for about 5 minutes before more clouds came out and decided to spoil my view.

blueshift
2007-Jan-20, 03:44 PM
I do assume that this is an inbound comet. Does anyone here know what the chances of seeing it outbound are and what locations it is calculated to be in?

tbm
2007-Jan-20, 05:22 PM
According to www.spaceweather.com it will only be viewable in the Southern Hemisphere. Bah!! I hate that comet now.... They get the Magellanic clouds and also the comet in the evening as well. BAH!!

Yah, the next thing you know Orion will take a hike for the southern climes!

I live on the 45 parallel. We don't see much beyond Sagittarius. I do have southern sky envy!

And I have yet to see McNaught!

tbm

peteshimmon
2007-Jan-21, 05:00 PM
I had a clear sky in the west yesterday
evening so I looked for the comet after
Sunset. And there it was...gorn! Nice
new Moon and Venus so I made a wish.
But the numbers did not oblige a few
hours afterwards:( Anyway, seen one
and you have seen them all. Many years
ago at the local club one Friday evening
we discussed Comet Bennett as mentioned in
the days paper. About six of us decided to
stay the night and see it as it rose in the
predawn sky. Two guys got off to their
respective homes and warm beds. The hours
went by with various chats and even some
observing. But no sign of the thing in the
northern sky. Then the two guys joined us
after chugging up the hill in the Anglia.
We told it was not visible yet and they said
surely that was it over the barn, nucleus,
tail and all and visible through the windscreen
as they came up. We all swivelled 40 degrees
and saw it. Then all activity with the !2 inch
on it and camera shutters open. Those were
the days. A few weeks later and another
session photographing it in Cassiopea. A
meteor crossed the tail. Half an hour later
the results came from the darkroom. He flogged
us each a print for 20p I think.

galacsi
2007-Jan-21, 05:19 PM
Sunday morning here , north of Paris , was beautifull . But no comet in sight ! No only the smallest part !

This comet is a scam !

Sticks
2007-Jan-21, 07:36 PM
Sunday morning here , north of Paris , was beautifull . But no comet in sight ! No only the smallest part !

This comet is a scam !

Quite, it was all filmed in the Nevada desert :whistle:

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jan-21, 08:28 PM
The important thing is that you need some way to block out the glare of the Sun. That's why you want to stand in the shadow of a building. Of course, the comet might be obscured by the building too, so find a different building where the clear sky is on the other side.

I think the real show will get going in a few more days when the comet is visible in the night sky again.

What date will it start to be seen at night again?

If we get a clear day around here, I'll have to try and spot the thing in the day. I hope my sunglasses can help.

lti
2007-Jan-21, 10:03 PM
Well i saw it last night (22/01/2007) from Auckland, NZ aproximately 45 degrees south. It became visible about 21:00 (about half an hour after sunset).

A magnificent sun set. Golden streaked clouds threatening to obscure our view.
As the sky dimmed the extremely thin sliver of the waxing crescent moon became visible. then venus, low on the horizon, then the comet slightly higher and further south. It was huge! not quite as bright as the moon or venus but from nucleus to the tip of the tail it was maybe 5 times the diameter of the moon. Clearly visible to the naked eye, it appeared as if someone had painted a streak of silver across the sky. Ethereal, other worldly, disconcerting.

This was from a hill in the middle of the city so the sky never gets properly dark. But what an awe inspiring sight. Seeing a triangle made of three completely different astronomical objects backlighted by a golden sunset. I wish i knew how to photograph such things.

I continued to watch as venus then the moon set. It wasn't untill about 22:45 that the comet set behind the cloud covered horizon.

It really was one of the best sky viewings i've ever experienced.

Grand_Lunar
2007-Jan-22, 04:43 PM
I'll have to see if the conditions you had work here in South Florida. I just hope the lousy clouds don't get in the way.

Cosmic String___
2007-Jan-23, 05:12 AM
My ex gf called me last night saying she thought she could see a comet. I couldn't see from where I was, but this would explain it. I'm in Melbourne, Australia btw.

Cosmic String___
2007-Jan-23, 05:15 AM
Well i saw it last night (22/01/2007) from Auckland, NZ aproximately 45 degrees south. It became visible about 21:00 (about half an hour after sunset).

A magnificent sun set. Golden streaked clouds threatening to obscure our view.
As the sky dimmed the extremely thin sliver of the waxing crescent moon became visible. then venus, low on the horizon, then the comet slightly higher and further south. It was huge! not quite as bright as the moon or venus but from nucleus to the tip of the tail it was maybe 5 times the diameter of the moon. Clearly visible to the naked eye, it appeared as if someone had painted a streak of silver across the sky. Ethereal, other worldly, disconcerting.

This was from a hill in the middle of the city so the sky never gets properly dark. But what an awe inspiring sight. Seeing a triangle made of three completely different astronomical objects backlighted by a golden sunset. I wish i knew how to photograph such things.

I continued to watch as venus then the moon set. It wasn't untill about 22:45 that the comet set behind the cloud covered horizon.

It really was one of the best sky viewings i've ever experienced.

Damn! That would have been it. From your vantage point it probably appeared much like it would have here. I'm such a novice.