PDA

View Full Version : Anger!

King316
2003-May-20, 10:52 AM
I can't wait until tomorrow has come and gone.
I just want this whole thing to end now.
Pseudo-science sucks.
Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow coming and going?

*edited typo*

Peace_Rules
2003-May-20, 11:31 AM
I can't wait until tomorrow has come and gone.
I just want this whole thing to end now.
Pseudo-science sucks.
Anyone else looking forward to tomorrow coming and going?

I think everyone but Nancy is looking forward to it. Then when I think about it, she's had 8 years to prepare for an out. She'll probably say this was the internet version of "War of the Worlds" and write a book about the whole experience.

Elvithriel
2003-May-20, 11:39 AM
Maybe this whole thing is an experiment by Nancy to see how easy it is to manipulate people into believing anything.

smzarba
2003-May-20, 12:09 PM
The Situation

Things will not be neccessarily continuous.
The fact that they are something other than
perfectly continuous
Ought not to be characterized as a pause.
There will be some things that people will see.
There will be some things that people won't see.
And life goes on.

D.Rumsfeld
:-?

Aria of Garics
2003-May-20, 03:47 PM
After hearing that psychotic Nancy Lieder's "predictions" about Planet X coming by on May 15th for the 1st time on "Coast to Coast", I have to admit I looked forward to seeing that date come and go just to be able to read about the stunned disbelief of her followers when it didn't happen.

We all know what happened next.. now, we have May 21st as our new "doomsday' date. I am looking forward to this day slightly less than the May 15th deadline, but will still be interested in reading about what her delusional followers will have to say when their "infallible" leader Nancy is proven wrong yet again. Then, I would gladly forget about the whole deal.

Then I heard James McCanney's interview on "Coast to Coast" a few days ago..

Where as Nancy Lieder only made me disgusted with her psychotic ramblings, this guy truely scares me. Unlike Nancy, who based her information on what the "aliens" in her head tell her, this conspiracy theory nut tries to prove Planet X's existance using his own brand of pseudo-science to convert people into believing his absurd doomsday theories. I fear that those people out there with a shakey grasp of science (and reality) could be more easily swayed by his so-called "scientific proof" than Nancy's "the Zetas told me so" method.

I'm afraid that this Planet X myth will not go away anytime soon, and as long as there are people like McCanney out there terrifying people and advocating that our government wants to kill off all us "undesirables", then I will continued to be disgusted by this whole topic. :-?

Grand Vizier
2003-May-20, 04:05 PM
I'm afraid that this Planet X myth will not go away anytime soon, and as long as there are people like McCanney out there terrifying people and advocating that our government wants to kill off all us "undesirables", then I will continued to be disgusted by this whole topic. :-?

It's not just McCanney, there's a whole bunch of PX flakes waiting in the wings. The consolation is that their favoured Year of Apocalypse is usually 2012, which is when, apparently, the Mayan calendar rolls over (Mayan Y2K - like I'm worried big-time! :) ). So we have a little breathing space, it would seem.

I'm not sure that I'd place Nancy as harmless, though. The likes of McCanney do not seem to have attracted the mob of fanatical adherents that Nancy has (even leaving aside the Panawave Laboratory).

Iain Lambert
2003-May-20, 04:08 PM
By the way, I've been meaning to ask. Is my Café Maya 2012 compliant?

Although, "being cold and mouldy by then" probably counts as failure in any case, like it stood a chance of not being drunk by then (or even 10 minutes from now).

Aria of Garics
2003-May-20, 05:02 PM
It's not just McCanney, there's a whole bunch of PX flakes waiting in the wings. The consolation is that their favoured Year of Apocalypse is usually 2012, which is when, apparently, the Mayan calendar rolls over (Mayan Y2K - like I'm worried big-time! :) ). So we have a little breathing space, it would seem.

I'm not sure that I'd place Nancy as harmless, though. The likes of McCanney do not seem to have attracted the mob of fanatical adherents that Nancy has (even leaving aside the Panawave Laboratory).

Sad but true, Grand Vizier. :(

I've heard about 2012.. it sounds like it will be the next big rallying point for the doomsayers and their followers. I won't loose any sleep over that one. :wink:

I never said Nancy was harmless, btw.. only that I think that her crackpot views can only sway a more limited amount of gullible people... ie: the ones that think finding an unwraped Starburst candy = a sign from aliens. :roll:

skeptikal
2003-May-20, 05:02 PM
likewise

Grand Vizier
2003-May-20, 05:08 PM
I never said Nancy was harmless, btw.. only that I think that her crackpot views can only sway a more limited amount of gullible people... ie: the ones that think finding an unwraped Starburst candy = a sign from aliens. :roll:

Ain't it scary, though, that so many people (i.e. more than two) can be convinced by someone who changes their life on the basis of candy wrappers. Sends a shiver down my spine, that one...

But I know what you mean. In many ways the scientologists are far scarier (though not terribly relevant to bad astronomy), because they command serious resources. Same for the Moonies etc etc. But it's the bad science we're focused on, I guess.

Aria of Garics
2003-May-20, 05:28 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with you.

It's funny how every other nut that I hear on Coast to Coast just makes me laugh and shake my head. Nancy was the first to really anger me because she was openly advocating people disrupting their lives, and the lives of their loved ones, all on the word of a clearly psychotic individual. It made me think of the "Heaven's Gate" tragedy all over again..

My name's Jen btw.. nice to chat with you. I'm enjoying Phil's site very much. He reminds me of Carl Sagan (my hero) in that he makes astronomy more accessable to those people that might not have a firm grasp on the mechanics of the universe.

I wish you all a happy May 21st! :D

WolfKC
2003-May-20, 05:44 PM
Ain't it scary, though, that so many people (i.e. more than two) can be convinced by someone who changes their life on the basis of candy wrappers. Candy wrappers, voices in her head, contact with a dozen races of aliens...... :roll:

jest
2003-May-20, 06:50 PM
I think Nancy just likes attention. I must admit, it'd be fun to be on the radio from time to time, even if it were for something stupid. At this point all Nancy is doing is saying "Can you hear me now? How 'bout now? Now? Now?"

Nancy, we have better things to hear. Go find a hobby for yourself.