PDA

View Full Version : Hey !! Comet McNaught Viewing

san_ast
2007-Jan-19, 03:21 AM
Hey, am at latitude 13 deg N and 80 deg East.. I missed out on catchin Comet McNaught. Do i have a chance still ????? If So Can anyone quickly tel me before i lose the chance... as to when and where shud i look for it !!!! plzzzz :razz:

san_ast
2007-Jan-19, 10:58 AM
Guys.... Do i still have a chance to see this comet...

snarkophilus
2007-Jan-19, 05:22 PM
I would guess yes. I don't know exactly how it will appear at your latitude, but watch the sunset, and maybe bring some binoculars. Apparently the nucleus is about magnitude -4 or -5, which is stupidly bright.

Mister Earl
2007-Jan-22, 06:05 PM
I live in a severely lightwashed area... going to try to see it tonight. I'll let you all know if I get a peek, I work laaate tonight hehe.
No rest for the weary.
#EDIT# At -5 mag, shouldn't I see it during the daytime?

san_ast
2007-Jan-23, 03:18 AM
hey.. Mister Earl.. thats fine.. All the very best for ur efforts :-) , i din try the dawn yet.. but have been lookin at the evening sky from my place for few days now... no clue of it yet !

Mister Earl
2007-Jan-23, 03:47 PM
End result was a no-go. Had to work late last night... was flooded. Didn't get the chance. I'll try again tonight, but the odds aren't high. Cloudy in my area. It's a shame, I've always wanted to see a comet, and this looked like my best chance.

san_ast
2007-Jan-29, 03:28 AM
Hey.... Any answers :( i read that the comet wil start to show up in the early hours before the sunrise, is that a fact...am at latitude 13 deg N and 80 deg East.. I am so desperate to catch a glimse of the famous comet !!!! help me out !!!!

Mister Earl
2007-Jan-29, 06:55 PM
Comet is now only observeable in the southern hemisphere. Best looking comet since comet Halley, and I never got to see it X(. Stupid clouds!

san_ast
2007-Jan-30, 03:15 AM
actually whats the reason behind this..., that the object is visible from one hemisphere but not the other. ???? too puzzling !

Kaptain K
2007-Jan-30, 03:38 AM
Because it is way south of the celestial equator.

astromark
2007-Jan-30, 06:33 AM
Yes to that.. I live in New Zealand and we are enjoying the most spectacular comet I have yet seen. The fact that it is in the evening sky up till midnight now. Makes for easy viewing. I'm at 39.93 South.; . . . Getting the coastal Sirius clouds to vacate the region is a little tricky and, has spoiled a few good nights.
The brightness figure is a little misleading as its the total luminosity that is quoted ( -4 ) when the object is an iridium flare , . thats a point of bright light. For a comet with a tail as massive as this one, that light is spread out over the whole thing. Comets as bright as this and as well placed for easy viewing are very rare. We did not see this until it dipped south after its solar encounter. It is and should be dimming as it speeds away never to return. I will be going out after 9.30 to show a few interested folk the show. Leave the lid on the telescope and bring the bins.....:)