PDA

View Full Version : Methods used to discover more about the universe? (Question)

minicooper106600
2007-Jan-25, 12:24 PM
Hi, for my science work I need to know a "A list of methods used to discover more about the universe". I have been looking everywhere and I cant find anything. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

minicooper106600
2007-Jan-25, 12:43 PM
Hi, for my science work I need to know a "A list of methods used to discover more about the universe". I have been looking everywhere and I cant find anything. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-25, 01:38 PM
You must have something. What methods have you thought
of so far?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

minicooper106600
2007-Jan-25, 01:44 PM
Seriously I dont no. Can you help me out?

Nereid
2007-Jan-25, 02:01 PM
Welcome to BAUT, minicooper106600! :)

I have merged the two threads you created into one, here in the Q&A section, because starting multiple threads on the same topic is rather disruptive (and it sets off one of our 'spam alarms'!)

We are happy to help you with your homework, but as Jeff Root implies, we also look for you to do most of that homework yourself.

So, how about "looking up at the sky on a cloudless, moonless night" as a means of discovering mroe about the universe? Of course, this is just a hint ...

minicooper106600
2007-Jan-25, 02:05 PM
Yeah but it needs to be in by tommorrow and I been looking ages. Please help me :(

Nereid
2007-Jan-25, 02:16 PM
What do people use telescopes for?

What do scientists use particle colliders for?

What do researchers use microscopes for?

Why have NASA and the ESA sent space probes to bodies like Mars, Venus, and some comets?

Argos
2007-Jan-25, 02:35 PM

Actually, there´s only one method to discover the wonders of the universe: the scientific method.

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-25, 02:37 PM
I'm sure that you can think of several different methods that are
used to discover more about the Universe. Start by naming or
describing one.

Also, when you say you have been looking, exactly what were you
looking for? If you searched on the Internet, what search terms
did you try?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-25, 02:47 PM
Actually, there´s only one method to discover the wonders of
the universe: the scientific method.
I disagree, but I don't want to argue about it. Let's come up
with a list of different methods, instead.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Argos
2007-Jan-25, 02:52 PM
Let's come up
with a list of different methods, instead.

Of course, after the presentation date. :)

2007-Jan-25, 03:37 PM
I just used Google to search for "learn more about the universe" -- the phrase -- and there are several NASA sites in the top few.

One said "Links to the right will take you to pages discussing a wide variety of astronomy topics." Another was headlined "Why Do We Study the Sun?" Another was headlined "NASA's Top Exploration and Discovery Stories of the Year".

One from Astronomical Society of the Pacific was headlined "The New and Improved Hubble Space Telescope"

This seems too easy.

I tried "discover more about the universe" and the results look just slightly more sparse, but among them I spy articles on the Interstellar Boundary Explorer, Chandra X-Ray Observer, the Canadian Space Agency success stories, shopping at the Discovery Store for telescopes.

Yeah, OK, they are not just lists of methods the student can copy down and turn in -- some thinking may still be required -- but they are hints and resources.

Did you try anything like that, minicooper106600? How did you miss stuff like that when you were looking everywhere?

2007-Jan-26, 04:22 AM
So, has the deadline passed? What did you learn?

Jeff Root
2007-Jan-26, 05:12 AM
Let's come up with a list of different methods, instead.
Of course, after the presentation date. :)
By "let's" (contraction of "let us") I meant the original poster and
everyone else contributing to the thread.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

2007-Jan-27, 07:20 AM
By "let's" (contraction of "let us") I meant the original poster and everyone else contributing to the thread.

<Sound of crickets...>

Perhaps the OP lost interest.

minicooper106600
2007-Jan-27, 09:20 AM
I asked my science teacher in school and he told me some ways etc. Thanks for the help

2007-Jan-27, 09:39 AM
I asked my science teacher in school and he told me some ways etc. Thanks for the help

Ah, good. Glad you checked back in. We may resist spoon-feeding students homework or test answers, but we do want you to succeed. If you come to us earlier next time, maybe we can have more time to help you investigate a topic. Good luck.