PDA

View Full Version : Ophiuchus Constellation...

Chris
2001-Oct-26, 08:00 PM
What's that pronounced like?
(Silly question I know, but I've been wondering...)

Chris

Geo3gh
2001-Oct-26, 08:59 PM
It looks like it should be "Oh-FEE-uh-cuhs"

But that first U may be long. I don't know. Sometime someone posted a page that has astronomy pronounciations; here's hoping I can find it again.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ljbrs
2001-Oct-26, 11:28 PM
Ophiuchus is pronounced: Oh-fee-YOU-cuss (accent on the third syllable). Astrologers do not realize that Ophiuchus has been added to the Sun Signs (those crossing the Ecliptic). All of the Sun Signs have changed radically over the past two thousand years, making the present Zodiac pretty silly, at best.

Both of a friend of mine's children are Ophiuchans (which is great way for them to surprise silly astrologers whenever they are asked *What's your sign?* by a unprepared *astrology true believer*.)

There is a great list of the (1) traditional and the (2) actual Sun Signs in the CAMBRIDGE GUIDE TO THE CONSTELLATIONS.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ljbrs on 2001-10-26 19:29 ]</font>

Wiley
2001-Oct-26, 11:38 PM
On 2001-10-26 19:28, ljbrs wrote:
Ophiuchus is pronounced: Oh-fee-YOU-cuss (accent on the third syllable). Astrologers do not realize that Ophiuchus has been added to the Sun Signs (those crossing the Ecliptic). All of the Sun Signs have changed radically over the past two thousand years, making the present Zodiac pretty silly, at best.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Now how do you pronouce "ljbrs"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Oct-27, 07:05 AM
On 2001-10-26 19:28, ljbrs wrote:
My dictionary says Off-ee-YOU-cuss (secondary accent first syllable), with a second pronunciation as Oh-fee-YOU-cuss (secondary accent first syllable). Not much difference.

Both of a friend of mine's children are Ophiuchans (which is great way for them to surprise silly astrologers whenever they are asked *What's your sign?* by a unprepared *astrology true believer*.)
Do they use the nonprecessed value as in the other signs, or the current value? My astonomy sw shows the sun in Ophiuchus from about Nov. 30 to Dec. 18. Is that when their birthdays occur? Of course, not all the current definitions of constellations are thirty degrees wide either.

Kaptain K
2001-Oct-27, 09:51 AM
Now how do you pronouce "ljbrs"?

Polaris /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris
2001-Oct-27, 01:39 PM
Thanks.

Chris

ljbrs
2001-Oct-27, 10:46 PM

ljbrs
2001-Oct-27, 10:49 PM

Those are my initials. l j b r s

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2001-Oct-28, 03:18 AM
Someone on the old board once posted a link with star and constellation pronunciations available in little .wav files. I still have the address, but I keep getting a "403 Forbidden" error code on it now.

Don't know what's going on. I'm posting the link to see if anyone else is able to access it. Or if anyone has an updated or similar site, feel free to throw it on.

http://www.starstuff.com/

PS: The name that always gave me the most trouble was Camelopardalis. (kam-el-la-PARD-a-lis)

Hypatia
2001-Nov-20, 12:33 PM
Try "Bootes". I always thought it was "Booties"; but recently read it is "Boo-aut-ays". Nobody knows what you are talking about.

David Hall
2001-Nov-20, 12:43 PM
Hey, whaddaya know, the link I gave above no longer gives an error message. Instead it brings up a message which says "Back Soon". So maybe they're working to get it up again. I hope so. I sometimes wonder about the pronunciation of stars and constellations myself.

Valiant Dancer
2001-Nov-20, 01:55 PM
On 2001-10-27 05:51, Kaptain K wrote:

Polaris /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Lemme guess. They're all silent. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Irishman
2001-Nov-20, 03:14 PM
Referring to astrology (and I don't want a long hijack here), while many astrologers use standard sun signs, my brother was showing off recently a book he was reading that defines the signs very differently, based of birth year. So even though my sister and I have birthdays 4 days apart, we are different signs because of year.

Just wanted to point out that there are some astrologers with different systems that do take into account changes. I don't know how updated the star configurations and such are, though.

Russ
2001-Nov-20, 03:25 PM
On 2001-10-27 18:49, ljbrs wrote:

Those are my initials. l j b r s

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Every time I see ljbrs I assume (making ***/u/me)it's pronounced Lidge-burrs.
I don't know that there is such a thing as a cold lidge, but who knows? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

David Simmons
2001-Nov-20, 03:37 PM
On 2001-10-26 19:38, Wiley wrote:
Now how do you pronouce "ljbrs"? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

L-yeh-burrs. It's a snap for someone who had 2 semesters of Russian (which is all consonants anyway) 40 years ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Simmons on 2001-11-20 10:38 ]</font>

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-20, 05:56 PM
No, no, you're all wrong... it's Lee-bras (like the constellation, only plural).

Russ
2001-Nov-21, 04:43 AM
OK Lidge. We've all speculated. Now it's your turn to 'fess up and tell us how YOU pronouceate ljbrs.

Is it anything like that olympic volleyball player from some years ago, Jan Stvrdlk. He pronounced his name Yon Stivverdlick (Sti-verd-lick). Now that I think about it, they had another guy on that team with a really unusual name, Karch Krylle. His first name rhymes with starch and his last was Ka-rye.

How's that for wandering off topic?

(the edit was to correct spelling)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2001-11-20 23:44 ]</font>

ljbrs
2001-Nov-23, 11:31 PM
Folks:

O.K. I looked up *Ophiuchus* in a recently-mentioned (by me) *Cambridge Guide to the Constellations* (Cambridge University Press), and Ophiuchus was pronounced:

off ee oo' kus

which sounds fine to me. Years ago, I saw it pronounced

oh fee YOU cuss

which is a plausible variant. It was listed in a book which gave the pronunciations of all of the constellations in all of their forms.

I will go with the Cambridge Guide to the Constellations because it is probably a much better source.

Now, if you will just let me get back to working on my *horoscope* (however THAT is pronounced). Something was mentioned that I would be meeting sweet threads of ad hominems...

ljbrs (pronounced *ELL JAY BEE ARE ESS*)

The Rat
2001-Nov-25, 08:02 PM
Don't listen to the others. Harry Mudd had a regular cargo run to one of its stars, and he pronounced it "Oh-FYE-a-kus".

Hey, he's been there man.

;^)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Rat on 2001-11-25 15:03 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-26, 05:18 PM
Hey, Russ, I think that guy's name is Karch Kiraly, not Krylle.

On 2001-11-20 07:33, Hypatia wrote:
Try "Bootes". I always thought it was "Booties"; but recently read it is "Boo-aut-ays". Nobody knows what you are talking about.

My dictionary says it's more like Bow-OH-tees, bow as in longbow.

Argos
2001-Nov-27, 12:15 PM
My dictionary says Off-ee-YOU-cuss (secondary accent first syllable), with a second pronunciation as Oh-fee-YOU-cuss (secondary accent first syllable).
[/quote]

Indeed, the Latin scholars say that in real Latin the pronounce is Oh-fee-YOU-coos, like in 'Cook'.

Chip
2001-Nov-28, 07:38 PM
Here's what they're originally talking about, (Ophiuchus that is):

http://www.seds.org/Maps/Stars_en/Fig/ophiuchus.html

A long time ago I posted a website containing audio clips of someone saying the names. Can't locate it now, however, here's a list of constellation pronunciations from "Space n' Stuff":

http://www.spacenstuff.com/const.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2001-11-28 14:48 ]</font>

David Hall
2001-Nov-29, 12:11 PM
On 2001-11-28 14:38, Chip wrote:

A long time ago I posted a website containing audio clips of someone saying the names. Can't locate it now,

It's probably the same one I posted earlier up above. I got it from this board, but I couldn't remember who posted it first.

Unfortunately, it seems to be temporarily out of order at this time. I'm hoping it comes back to life soon.

http://www.starstuff.com/ (Currently a dead-end)

Argos
2001-Nov-29, 01:46 PM
PS: The name that always gave me the most trouble was Camelopardalis. (kam-el-la-PARD-a-lis)

My guide to the Latin names of the constellations tells me that the name is Camelopardus (kam-el-low-PAR-doos) and the genitive case Camelopardi. Ex: Alpha Camelopardi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2001-11-29 08:48 ]</font>

David Hall
2001-Nov-30, 03:57 AM
My guide to the Latin names of the constellations tells me that the name is Camelopardus (kam-el-low-PAR-doos) and the genitive case Camelopardi. Ex: Alpha Camelopardi

I told you it was a difficult one for me. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

My copy of Home Planet lists both Camelopardus and Cameloparalis as names. And Camelopardalis is listed as the genitive. I also distinctly remember the pronunciation from the audio clip in the link I gave. (A perfect example of why I wish it would start working again.)

This site claims the correct spelling really is Camelopardalis:

http://www.dibonsmith.com/cam_con.htm

<font size=-1>(Fixed a messed up quote tag)</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2001-11-29 22:59 ]</font>

Argos
2001-Nov-30, 10:56 AM
On 2001-11-29 22:57, David Hall wrote:
I also distinctly remember the pronunciation from the audio clip in the link I gave. (A perfect example of why I wish it would start working again.)

David, as to Camelopardi/Camelopardalis, both are allowed to my best knowledge.

Is good to point out that the Latin, as with any other language, wasn't an expression of only one region. Every cultivated person spoke Latin all over Europe by the year 1000. The poor people spoke a degenerated language composed of a variety of Latin dialects and jargon, mixed with the Germanic original languages, which impregnated the "official" (the Roman Empire's)language and turned it into a multifaceted entity. This degenerated Latin became what was known as "Romance", for "the language of Rome". The "Romances" later, by the beginning of the second millenium, became what nowadays we know as the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, Romenian and, in great measure, the English language. Camelopardi/Camelopardalis is an illustrative example of such deviations.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2001-11-30 05:58 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-30, 11:30 AM
I'm pretty sure that English is not considered a Romance language. Of course, by "great measure" you may mean that we've borrowed a great deal, and that is certainly true.

Argos
2001-Nov-30, 12:00 PM
On 2001-11-30 06:30, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
I'm pretty sure that English is not considered a Romance language. Of course, by "great measure" you may mean that we've borrowed a great deal, and that is certainly true.

Exactly. What I mean is that the English language became what it is today thanks to the aggregation of a great deal of Latin, both the high Latin and the degenerated one. The original Germanic from which the current English originates would be hardly understood today by the common English speaking people.

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-30, 12:12 PM
I ain't gonna let you get away with that. English is not a romance language in any sense, regardless of whether a modern speaker could understand an ancient version of it. That's true of a lot of languages, including romance languages--although it is true that there is a certain stability with some of the vocabulary because of the entombment of Latin.

Where were we?

O yeh. Can you say Zubenelgenubi (http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/zubenel.html) without grinning?

Argos
2001-Dec-01, 10:02 AM
On 2001-11-30 07:12, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
I ain't gonna let you get away with that. English is nota romance language in any sense, regardless of whether a modern speaker could understand an ancient version of it. That is true of a lot of languages, including romance languages--although it is true that there is a certain stability with some of the vocabulary because of the entombment of Latin.

Where were we?

Would you manage to write the same without using Latin terms? In fact it never passed through my head that English is a Romance Language. But Latin is part of the western culture whether we like it or not, and in a large measure taps in the same fountain as French and Italian. Note that the German language was not as influenced by Latin as the English. It is not a Romance language, but it is the only highly "latinized" Germanic language. We could say (here come the linguists flamming on me...) that it is a Germanic language of "second order". What I mean is that I agree with you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2001-12-01 05:23 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2001-12-02 17:34 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Dec-01, 10:57 AM
On 2001-12-01 05:02, Argos wrote:
What I mean is that I agree with you.

Well, OK then! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Wait a minute, what happened to that quotation? Where'd all the bolds come from?

Chip
2001-Dec-02, 08:11 AM
While we're on the subject of pronunciations, here are two favorite stars:

Zubenelgenubi and Zubeneshamali

These are Arabic names that mean Southern claw and Northern claw. Someone mentioned here once that they named two cats after these stars. Has anyone here viewed them through a telescope? (The stars, not the kitties.)

Chip

"Why haven't I've seen this all along!?" - Dr. Morbius from Forbidden Planet

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chip on 2001-12-02 03:17 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Dec-02, 12:57 PM
Zubenelgenubi and Zubeneshamali

Mentioned earlier. Did they call both cats Zub? I always thought that was a nickname for EliZUBeth.

David Hall
2001-Dec-02, 08:33 PM
I don't think those were the final choices for the felines in question. I remember many names were thrown about, and the two "Zubens" got a lot of discussion, but the final names were something different. I can't remember the actual final choices. but I remember that they weren't named in any "twin" like fashion (Castor/Pollux, etc.). (I think one of them was a Jovian moon, but I'm not sure.)

I posted once with my opinion that Zubenelgenubi and Zubeneshamali would have made good names, especially since chopping them down to Genubi and Shamali would make them a bit easier for daily use.

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Dec-03, 11:51 AM
On 2001-12-02 15:33, David Hall wrote:
chopping them down to Genubi and Shamali would make them a bit easier for daily use.
Sure. Jenny and Molly. That's nice.

I dunno about being called the "northern claw" and the "southern claw", though. They were once part of scorpius, heh? Where was Libra, back then, then?