PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Steve H. There is a god.

2002-Feb-04, 07:52 AM
As god is a 'living' being ( disregard Mrs C Gren ), he needed a long time to evolve!?

As there is more than one universe according to Mr Hawkins, then maby enough time has 'taken place' for his evolution to take him to the realms of being everything he is jacked up to be.

Must be some bad *** space / time traveller eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Azpod
2002-Feb-04, 08:49 AM
On 2002-02-04 02:52, RPN wrote:
As god is a 'living' being ( disregard Mrs C Gren ), he needed a long time to evolve!?

As there is more than one universe according to Mr Hawkins, then maby enough time has 'taken place' for his evolution to take him to the realms of being everything he is jacked up to be.

Must be some bad *** space / time traveller eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I fail to understand how a topic solely about God falls in "General Astronomy," I always thought that the concept of God often depicits Him as a being that exists outside of both time and space. If a God that created the Universe exists, it would be difficult to explain how He could create himself, which He would have to do, unless He exists outside of our space/time.

2002-Feb-04, 03:56 PM
Well, I guess singularity would be a good place ta thimk of your next move...

Silas
2002-Feb-04, 04:16 PM
With Hawking's notion that black holes pinch off into new universes, and that such universes might vary slightly from their parent universes...then a kind of "natural selection" could be said to exist: universes that have laws of physics that prohibit black holes from existing have no offspring (extinction) whereas universes that do allow black holes to form easily will have more offspring.

This overall process is "outside of space and time," and could be said to be godlike... There is no way to disprove the notion that, in this meta-cosmos, an intelligent being has learned how to manipulate those physical laws, and, for whatever reason, enjoys making universes where carbon chemistry is possible...

Can't prove it, can't disprove it...so enjoy it! It's called science fiction!

Silas

DStahl
2002-Feb-05, 06:46 PM
I've always been bemused by the thought of a thinking entity outside time. I can't imagine thought which does not change, ie which is not subject to time...maybe that's just a failure of my imagination. Seems like the Big Guy would be kind of stuck, though.

Don Stahl

Silas
2002-Feb-05, 08:08 PM
On 2002-02-05 13:46, DStahl wrote:
I've always been bemused by the thought of a thinking entity outside time. I can't imagine thought which does not change, ie which is not subject to time...maybe that's just a failure of my imagination. Seems like the Big Guy would be kind of stuck, though.

Don Stahl

Maybe he has his own "meta-time," an extra dimension that is, to him, time-like.

(I keep mentioning Fritz Leiber: he played a little with this idea in his novel "The Big Time.")

Silas