The Last Starfighter 8
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 8
Silent Running 6
Outland 6
Space Balls 6
Star Trek VIII: First Contact 5

Gillianren
2007-Feb-03, 03:34 PM
Fifth Element beat Serenity? How in the name of God is that possible?

parallaxicality
2007-Feb-03, 03:35 PM
and The Wrath of Khan? And The Empire Strikes Back? And Aliens?

Anyway, good final selection. It's nice to know this forum has great taste, at least in the long run.

Lord Jubjub
2007-Feb-03, 08:02 PM
And the leader so far is not a surpise. Just a bunch of space geeks here.

Van Rijn
2007-Feb-04, 12:29 AM
So you're looking for the top 1 movie? I picked 2001, but really, once I get into my top five or so, I don't make specific distinctions. All of these on the poll, except Alien, are my top movies.

Van Rijn
2007-Feb-04, 12:36 AM

We all have different likes. Fifth Element isn't one of my top movies, but it was fun, and I liked it quite a bit more than Serenity. In fairness, though, there are a lot of space movies I liked far less than Serenity. I didn't hate it, I just wasn't very impressed with it.

Dr Nigel
2007-Feb-04, 12:58 AM

It could simply be that more people have seen Fifth Element than Serenity.

Ithildin
2007-Feb-04, 06:00 AM
That's really a shame though; Serenity is great! But it's not nearly as enjoyable if you don't watch the series first, which might also add to why Fifth Element beat Serenity (sadly).

Dr Nigel
2007-Feb-04, 04:14 PM
True. When I got Firefly and Serenity on DVD (I don't have satellite or cable, and Firefly was never broadcast on Terrestrial in the UK), I am so glad that someone said I should watch the TV series first, and then watch the film. Talk about spoilers!

It also made me glad I had not seen Serenity at the cinema.

Gillianren
2007-Feb-04, 09:16 PM
I saw Serenity first and really enjoyed it; it's why I acquired the series.

Doodler
2007-Feb-04, 09:44 PM

Easy. Serenity was a good because the series was good, but it felt like Star Trek: Nemesis in the grand scheme of things. An episode-suited story stretched to feature length. Too much filler.

The Fifth Element wasn't the greatest story ever told, but it had the right mix of campishness with the rather epic feel of the universe it lived in to make it work. It wasn't trying to be anything other than a visually stunning pulp science fiction piece, kind of a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon done with late 20th century sensibilities.

ToSeek
2007-Feb-05, 05:33 AM
Easy. Serenity was a good because the series was good, but it felt like Star Trek: Nemesis in the grand scheme of things. An episode-suited story stretched to feature length. Too much filler.

As someone coming to it from the series, I thought just the opposite, that it had too much plot and too little filler.

Dr Nigel
2007-Feb-05, 10:13 AM
The Fifth Element wasn't the greatest story ever told, but it had the right mix of campishness with the rather epic feel of the universe it lived in to make it work. It wasn't trying to be anything other than a visually stunning pulp science fiction piece, kind of a Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon done with late 20th century sensibilities.

Plus, it had great one-liners ("Anyone else wanna negotiate?" - "Where did you learn to negotiate?"), was fast-paced, and had instantly sympathetic leads and real "boo! hiss!" bad guys. And Milla Jovovich.

Dr Nigel
2007-Feb-05, 10:17 AM
I saw Serenity first and really enjoyed it; it's why I acquired the series.

I'm pleased to hear that (or read it, in fact). After I had seen the series and then the movie, I felt that, had I seen the movie first, it would have diminished some of the mystery of the series and some of the movie would have made less sense than it otherwise did (in the context of having seen the series first).

SPOILER ALERT

Plus, seeing River dishing out severe beats on the Reavers (sp?) was a great climax to all the development of the character in the series.

Doodler
2007-Feb-05, 10:36 PM
As someone coming to it from the series, I thought just the opposite, that it had too much plot and too little filler.

I'll buy that, I'm seeing the movie as someone who's seen all of half an episode from the series. To me, all the stuff that was anything other than the discovery of Miranda was filler. Stuff you'd expect in an episode that would carry through to a future one. The central story was River's revelations about Miranda and the origin of the Reavers. Given that there was no series to speak of at the time, the rest was static in the signal.

Just my view, not having the series as background to build on.

Kwalish Kid
2007-Feb-05, 11:31 PM
Khaaaaaaaan!

djellison
2007-Feb-05, 11:50 PM
The right answer is Space Camp...but I'll say Apollo 13 for now - as i don't think anyone has tried to be that accurate before. They got a few things wrong, but they tried much harder than 99% of all other space films.

Doug

Dr Nigel
2007-Feb-06, 09:25 AM
Doug, yes, I think that's why it worked so well for me. I know they ... exaggerated ... the tension between the three astronauts for dramatic effect, and there were a few other things, too, that were altered to provide the film with more tension (such as the "discovery" that the CM's lithium hydroxide canisters wouldn't fit in the LM's air system), but overall, it was pretty faithful. I have a DVD of the film that includes a commentary by Jim and Marilyn Lovell, and all the way through, they are pointing out details that show how much effort was made to make the film authentic. For example, there is a shot taken in the hallway of the Lovells' home, and the photos on the wall were the actual photos that Jim and Marilyn had on the wall in their hallway at the time.

parallaxicality
2007-Feb-06, 11:49 AM
You guys do realise, of course, that this poll effectively names Ron Howard as a better director than both Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick...

Gillianren
2007-Feb-06, 12:36 PM
Based on one movie by each? No, I don't think so.

I spend a lot of time watching movies, and I have to say, I like UHF better than The 39 Steps, but that doesn't make Weird Al's manager a better director than Hitchcock.

Kwalish Kid
2007-Feb-06, 01:09 PM
Khaaaaaaaan!

Lianachan
2007-Feb-06, 01:18 PM
All good films there. Surprised (and delighted) to see Serenity and all Star Trek films cast aside before this stage.

djellison
2007-Feb-06, 03:54 PM
You guys do realise, of course, that this poll effectively names Ron Howard as a better director than both Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick...

No it doesnt. If the poll was "Best Space Movie Director", or - if the three films in question were the only films those three directors have ever made - then you would be right...but it's best space Movie.

Doug

MG1962A
2007-Feb-07, 09:42 AM
Fantastic slection for the final - Realistically how do you choose between any of them. Each film is seminal in it's own way

For me - I went with Forbidden Planet.......... Out of sheer nostalga, I waited 25 years to see the scene when the ID monster attacks the ship (Yup folks, it was cut from the film in Australia) It was well worth the wait