PDA

View Full Version : Buzz Aldrin punching journalist

Selenite
2007-Feb-11, 12:36 AM
Was curious if anyone had some background on this YouTube video of astronaut Buzz Aldrin punching some idiot with a microphone who is accusing him of fabricating his moon walk and of being a coward, a liar and a thief. Must be nice to still be able to deck losers at age 72. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKxAqpjroo

jrkeller
2007-Feb-11, 12:43 AM
We covered this before. Though I wouldn't called Bart Sibrel a journalist, but using the correct term would probably get me banned.

I like the one of Ed Mitchell better,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv2IIHhBu5A

Gillianren
2007-Feb-11, 12:49 AM
Ditto on the word journalist. I'd definitely put it in quotes.

The Daily Show did a bit about it, because Bart Sibrel never met a microphone he didn't like, even if it was being used to make fun of him. ("Back . . . and to the left!")

Selenite
2007-Feb-11, 01:14 AM
Ditto on the word journalist. I'd definitely put it in quotes.

Yeah...I should've edited it. :) Does anyone know when this incident took place?

Moose
2007-Feb-11, 01:23 AM
Yep. The entirety of Sibrel's "professional" journalistic experience is working for an NBC affiliate - for a couple of months - as a cameraman. That's it.

So Sibrel booked an interview with Aldrin on false credentials, and on a false premise. When Aldrin showed up, he basically ran up to Aldrin and demanded he swear on the bible he was carrying that he'd gone to the moon. He then immediately (and loudly) claimed that Aldrin was "a liar, and a coward, and a thief".

Well Aldrin has a very long history as a military test pilot. Pilots are not a humble, pacific bunch at the best of times. (Armstrong was a civilian test pilot, which may help explain his more reclusive personality. :) ). Test pilots are pilot's pilots, if you know what I mean. And Aldrin was very much a test pilot's test pilot.

So Buzz's response to a punk like Sibrel getting into his face and making vile accusations was pretty much inevitable. Not that I disapprove, anyway.

It's telling that Sibrel's very first words after the punch was to ask the cameraman if he'd gotten that. It's pretty clear that the incident was deliberately provoked.

I find it funny as heck that Aldrin, a 140 lb, 70-odd year old man, staggered a 200+ pound, 6-something, 30-something year old man with a single impulsive punch to the jaw. :D

Moose
2007-Feb-11, 01:24 AM
Yeah...I should've edited it. :) Does anyone know when this incident took place?

It wasn't all that long ago. Maybe three years? Ish?

Selenite
2007-Feb-11, 01:34 AM
It wasn't all that long ago. Maybe three years? Ish?

Thanks for the info guys. I can't imagine how infuriating it must be have have gone through all the laborious and dangerous training and testing plus the ground-breaking mission and it's aftermath decades ago, and then have somebody who wasn't even born at the time accuse you of being a fraud. Makes ya wanna scream: "Get a life!"....or at least a legit career.

R.A.F.
2007-Feb-11, 01:41 AM
Though I wouldn't called Bart Sibrel a journalist, but using the correct term would probably get me banned.

Oh, I don't think calling Bart a punching bag would get you banned. :lol:

Moose
2007-Feb-11, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I can't imagine how infuriating it must be have have gone through all the laborious and dangerous training and testing plus the ground-breaking mission and it's aftermath decades ago, and then have somebody who wasn't even born at the time accuse you of being a fraud. Makes ya wanna scream: "Get a life!"....or at least a legit career.

Try this (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/02/08/buzz-aldrin-on-the-al-murray-show/), then repeat after me: "Bart Sibrel: SHAME on you!". :)

Aerik
2007-Feb-11, 02:07 AM
Yet none of you have explained what Sibrel was actually doing.

Bart Sibrel has made it his life's ambition to ambush astronauts and order them to swear on the Bible that they went to the moon or admit that they're frauds, harassing them up close.

So Buzz Aldrin punched him in the face.

Moose
2007-Feb-11, 02:09 AM
Not so much...

So Sibrel booked an interview with Aldrin on false credentials, and on a false premise. When Aldrin showed up, he basically ran up to Aldrin and demanded he swear on the bible he was carrying that he'd gone to the moon. He then immediately (and loudly) claimed that Aldrin was "a liar, and a coward, and a thief".

Doodler
2007-Feb-11, 02:22 AM
Somewhere out there that clip exists in a linkable format for a forum avatar. One of my life's quests is to obtain it. :)

Occam
2007-Feb-11, 02:24 AM

What bothers me is this... do you ever read the comments left by YouTube members? It is a depressing thought to me just how low the general IQ is. If these people are a random sampling of the (generally younger) population, what hope is there for the future? So much ignorance and hatred. :(

Aerik
2007-Feb-11, 02:28 AM
Something that's fun is to use a media player to slow it way down and also lower the pitch, and watch/listen to it in slow motion.

Doodler
2007-Feb-11, 02:31 AM
What bothers me is this... do you ever read the comments left by YouTube members? It is a depressing thought to me just how low the general IQ is. If these people are a random sampling of the (generally younger) population, what hope is there for the future? So much ignorance and hatred. :(

The stupid will always outnumber the intelligent. It has been this way from the outset of human culture. Their existance hasn't stopped the intelligent from doing the necessary things to move us forward. Just look at them condescendingly and pity them openly.

They HATE that, but they deserve it. ;)

Captain Kidd
2007-Feb-11, 02:55 AM
I also think that they tend to be more vocal too while we tend to roll our eyes and continue on without saying anything knowing it'd be a hopeless argument. Throw in an additional few that add such comments just to rile people up without truly meaning it, and you get a disproportionate view of "the future".

At least that's what I tell myself late at night when I can't sleep after seeing such postings. ;)

Selenite
2007-Feb-11, 02:57 AM
Try this (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2007/02/08/buzz-aldrin-on-the-al-murray-show/), then repeat after me: "Bart Sibrel: SHAME on you!". :)
Thanks for the link Moose. More more uplifting than the other video. :)

Yeah..I've read some of the depressing YouTube comments. "You Americans believe anything your government puts in front of you"...and the like. Seems to be a weird anti-American vibe behind some of this. As if our recent foreign policy and intelligence failures have tainted our past. But I don't wanna venture into politics. Sometimes I wonder if some of it isn't just simple goading and chain-yanking.

jrkeller
2007-Feb-11, 08:19 PM

I studied this moon hoax stuff since the fox show aired almost six years ago. What I have found out is that there seems to be a core group of people that do all the postings. There post are almost identical no matter which book/DVD/TV show they are posting about. The best example I can give is Bart's movie (http://www.amazon.com/Funny-Thing-Happened-Way-Moon/dp/B000059MCV/sr=1-1/qid=1171224492/ref=sr_1_1/105-3442620-8453205?ie=UTF8&s=dvd), "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon." There are numerous posts which are similar. Some if you notice are from a reader or viewer, so all you need is just a different email.

jrkeller
2007-Feb-11, 08:39 PM
For example, one reviewer of amazon, has posted the identical review for all of the Bart Sibrel (**) crockumentaries.

Sticks
2007-Feb-11, 09:01 PM
I vaguley recall one person using what Buzz did as evidence that the moon landings were faked, if you can work that logic out :confused:

Tuckerfan
2007-Feb-11, 09:49 PM
Yep. The entirety of Sibrel's "professional" journalistic experience is working for an NBC affiliate - for a couple of months - as a cameraman. That's it.Wasn't even a couple of months, it was a couple of days! Apparently, they got tired of him obsessing over Armstrong (who has a restraining order against Sibrel) and canned him. The station is one of the worst in town, so I can't imagine how bad he must have been for them to ditch him so quickly.

PhantomWolf
2007-Feb-11, 10:27 PM
There was a bit more to it than Bart just running up and calling him a liar and a theif and then Buzz hitting him. Buzz had his daughter with him (the women in the video) and they attempted to leave a number of times, returning to the hotel lobby or trying to head down the street, Sibrel kept haressing them and prevented them from leaving by getting infront of them and shoving the bible in Buzz's face. After about 5-10 minutes of it, Buzz had, had enough and socked him.

Delvo
2007-Feb-11, 11:46 PM
I vaguley recall one person using what Buzz did as evidence that the moon landings were faked, if you can work that logic out :confused:It would presumably be the classic "(s)he doth protest too much" gag: an accusation is made, the accusee denies, and the accuser declares the denial to be too intense or to go on for too long or something like that, which would supposedly indicate that the accusee is too motivated and putting too much work into it, which would supposedly mean (s)he's got something to hide, which would supposedly mean the original accusation was true. The accuser often keeps repeating the original accusation after the first time it's been denied, in order to lengthen the process and annoy the accusee, so that the accuser can then use the amount of time the accusee has spent denying it, and/or the accusee's emotional reaction to the situation, as a part of the evidence that "(s)he doth protest too much".

The usual subjects of the gag are personal things that could be embarassing, like excessive masturbation or having a crush on someone: "The more you argue that it's not true, the more I know it is."... but it can be used for just about any subject.

Larry Jacks
2007-Feb-12, 12:22 AM
The only better than seeing Buzz punch Sibrel once would've been if he'd caught Sibrel in a headlock and punched him until his face was a bloody pulp, and then made sure he'd never be able to father any children by performing a hasty amputation of Sibrel's gonads.

But that's just my personal opinion.

Moose
2007-Feb-12, 12:44 AM
Wasn't even a couple of months, it was a couple of days!

You know, I'd remembered it as two days myself, and almost wrote it, but I'd figured I'd been misremembering, that one would have to try pretty hard to get themselves canned after only two short little days. Apparently I gave him far too much credit as a non-defective.

Roy Batty
2007-Feb-12, 03:21 PM
Since I don't think they've been linked to already, here's a blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2005/05/26/buzzkill/) & webpage (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/sibrel.html) attached to this forum :)

Gmann
2007-Feb-12, 03:47 PM
No one is willing to forget this incident...good...I'm not either. To watch a simpering, attention hog get his butt whupped by a man old enough to be his grandfather is priceless. Bart is lucky he didn't pull this routine 40 years ago. Keep in mind that the first astronauts, in their prime, were "choice cuts" to say the least. If you put 50 overweight, whiny, panty waists in a room with 1 Fighter pilot, they would soon realize that they are outnumbered.

Roy Batty
2007-Feb-12, 03:49 PM
If you put 50 overweight, whiny, panty waists in a room with 1 Fighter pilot, they would soon realize that they are outnumbered.
LOL!:clap:

tofu
2007-Feb-12, 05:26 PM
What really infuriates me is to think about it this way: what if Sibrel is right? Well, if he is right and the landings were faked, then he already has all the evidence he needs in the form of Apollo video and still photos and radiation information and so on and so on. If Sibrel is right, then he doesn't need an interview with Aldrin. So why did Sibrel jump through hoops and lie about his credentials and misrepresent himself in order to get an interview with Aldrin? It has nothing to do with proving a hoax. It's all about making money.

Sibrel harassed an old guy so that Sibrel could make a few extra dollars.

What a jerk.

We've seen plenty of ignorant hoax believers, but Sibrel is just a jerk.

Mr Gorsky
2007-Feb-13, 02:21 PM
Somewhere out there that clip exists in a linkable format for a forum avatar. One of my life's quests is to obtain it. :)

I have a copy of it on my HD ... unfortunately, it is about twice the dimensions and 3 times the file size allowed by this forum.

Forskern
2007-Feb-13, 04:14 PM
I have a copy of it on my HD ... unfortunately, it is about twice the dimensions and 3 times the file size allowed by this forum.

Irfanview can probably take care of that, by decomposing it into its individual frames and compressing/cropping some of them. The smaller frames could then be assembled back into a jumping gif.

Not that the Internet needs more jumping gifs :P

DataCable
2007-Feb-17, 05:09 PM
Somewhere out there that clip exists in a linkable format for a forum avatar.
Ask and ye shall receive:

BartPunch_256Color.gif (http://photos.imageevent.com/datacable/apollo/BartPunch_256Color.gif) 119kb
BartPunch_16Color.gif (http://photos.imageevent.com/datacable/apollo/BartPunch_16Color.gif) 33kb
BartPunch_4Color.gif (http://photos.imageevent.com/datacable/apollo/BartPunch_4Color.gif) 19kb
BartPunch_2Color.gif (http://photos.imageevent.com/datacable/apollo/BartPunch_2Color.gif) 12kb

All 80 x 80, coded to run at approximately half-speed, though I've noticed browsers don't always strictly respect animated GIF frame delay flags. Unfortunately, only the 4- and 2-Color versions fit under the 19.5kb filesize cap here at BAUTF. The others are provided in case another board you might wish to use it on doesn't have as low a limit.

The "sepia"-tone in the 4-color version is unintentional, if somewhat appropriate.:cool:

Moose
2007-Feb-17, 05:43 PM
Man, that oldtimer has one heckofa right hook. He almost took Sibrel's head off.

Selenite
2007-Feb-17, 06:08 PM
I'm normally not a big fan of violence, but I could watch that clip loop all day. :dance:

gGriffeth
2007-Feb-17, 06:25 PM
It's a shame what the Apollo astronauts have to go through that as a result of their bravery.:sad:

SirThoreth
2007-Feb-18, 10:52 AM
We covered this before. Though I wouldn't called Bart Sibrel a journalist, but using the correct term would probably get me banned.

The stupid techno music (and I generally like techno) and general other crap in the video makes me a sad panda just a few seconds in.

Care to summarize?

Moose
2007-Feb-18, 12:09 PM
Very quick summary: Mitchell angrily orders Sibrel to leave his house. Sibrel keeps being Sibrel while turning around and picking up his jacket. Mitchell kicks him in the backside while he's bent over.

BigDon
2007-Feb-18, 02:40 PM
No one is willing to forget this incident...good...I'm not either. To watch a simpering, attention hog get his butt whupped by a man old enough to be his grandfather is priceless. Bart is lucky he didn't pull this routine 40 years ago. Keep in mind that the first astronauts, in their prime, were "choice cuts" to say the least. If you put 50 overweight, whiny, panty waists in a room with 1 Fighter pilot, they would soon realize that they are outnumbered.

Gmann, from my days in VF-211 I learned a fighter pilot is never outnumbered. What he is experiencing is a target rich enviroment.

And one other thing when I mentioned that an obviously delusional paranoid in the CT section needs medication I get folks screaming Ad Hom! Ad Hom!, yet here we can talk about castrating Bart and beating him bloody. :think: I'm not saying he didn't deserve the punch to the head, its our little dicussion here that begun to violate the rules. Since we're all such sticklers for them and all.

R.A.F.
2007-Feb-18, 03:18 PM
...yet here we can talk about castrating Bart and beating him bloody.

Yeah...I'm surprised no one commented on Larry's post as it is obviously not something this board allows.

...its our little dicussion here that begun to violate the rules. Since we're all such sticklers for them and all.

If you believe that you are being unfairly "ganged up" on, then you should PM a mod about it.

Moose
2007-Feb-18, 03:31 PM
And one other thing when I mentioned that an obviously delusional paranoid in the CT section needs medication I get folks screaming Ad Hom! Ad Hom!, yet here we can talk about castrating Bart and beating him bloody. :think:

Actually, the discussion we're having in _this_ thread is probably skating the line. Not the factual part of it, but in expressing amusement at Sibrel getting beaten up, twice. Calling for further violence, however, is almost certainly well past the line. The mods aren't clairvoyant, however, so it's not out of line to call someone's attention to it, either through a discreet PM to a mod you're comfortable with, or by using the report post button.

I haven't seen the "medication" comment, so I really can't offer an opinion. It's pretty close to the line in the rules, however, because it can be interpreted as a "you're a delusional paranoid" crack. The actual interpretation will be close enough to probably come down to what the reader had for breakfast that morning. As a rule of thumb, it's probably best to avoid unsolicited medical advice when you're neck deep in a debate.

BigDon
2007-Feb-19, 01:25 AM
Yeah...I'm surprised no one commented on Larry's post as it is obviously not something this board allows.

If you believe that you are being unfairly "ganged up" on, then you should PM a mod about it.

No RAF, I don't think I'm being ganged up on. When you called me on that political bit in that other thread in the science section I knew I was being naughty and you were prefectly legit in pointing it out. Not an excuse at all, but I was drinking when I posted that. That said, RAF, is there a problem between us? Lately you seem to be the first one who tries to bust my chops, even before the mods seem to notice anything wrong.

SolusLupus
2007-Feb-19, 02:16 AM
No RAF, I don't think I'm being ganged up on. When you called me on that political bit in that other thread in the science section I knew I was being naughty and you were prefectly legit in pointing it out. Not an excuse at all, but I was drinking when I posted that. That said, RAF, is there a problem between us? Lately you seem to be the first one who tries to bust my chops, even before the mods seem to notice anything wrong.

Just for the record, I have no problem with you myself. I can't help but respect someone that has your particular brand of history, and hey, a fan of Sin City has to be cool.

Personally, I don't want Sibrel to be attacked any moreso than he did. What Aldrin did was an issue of self defense and dealing with a belligerant man that kept shoving himself into Aldrin's face. That's more a case of self defense than it is a case of physical abuse. Plus, Aldrin didn't take it too far, really, and as far as I'm concerned it was completely justifiable.

Promoting further cases of violence against Sibrel really shouldn't be done.

WHarris
2007-Feb-19, 03:44 AM
Very quick summary: Mitchell angrily orders Sibrel to leave his house. Sibrel keeps being Sibrel while turning around and picking up his jacket. Mitchell kicks him in the backside while he's bent over.

I did like the part where Ed Mitchell laughs in Sibrel's face.

Gmann
2007-Feb-26, 04:01 PM
I just did a google search on "bart sibrel punched by buzz aldrin" it came back with 3 returns. Not bad, but not the classic that I remember from a few years ago.