PDA

View Full Version : Problems with iTunes

PhilM
2007-Feb-12, 08:33 PM
I have been having trouble downloading the last couple of podcasts in iTunes. Not a big deal because I can listen to them over the internet, but I do prefer using iTunes, so I know which one's I've seen and it automatically updates when I start it up in the morning. (One less thing I have to do :D).

Is anyone else having trouble? Does the recent additions of the transcript and the slides have anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance,
Phil M.

StarStryder
2007-Feb-12, 10:09 PM
Hi PhilM,

I can't repeat this problem. Have you tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to see what happens? I had a different podcast once get gooped up and this fixed it (no idea why, but I'm an experimentalist and am happy to try experiments more than once to see if results are reproducable before I look for a theory).

If this doesn't work, please drop us an email @ info@astronomycast.com.

Cheers,
Pamela

PhilM
2007-Feb-13, 04:11 PM
:doh:

I should have tried that first.

Thanks, that did it.

Greg D
2007-Feb-14, 10:49 AM
I am gettung the un-enhanced version of the last podcast. Like Phil M I have unsubscribed and resubscribed. still getting the un-enhanced version. Is this the intent ?

greg

Fraser
2007-Feb-14, 09:28 PM
Yes, we're not putting the enhanced version into the feed directly. We'd like to get some feedback from people before we make a switch. If you go back to the Astronomy Cast episodes on the homepage, you'll see links for m4a for each episode.

PhilM
2007-Feb-19, 08:30 PM
I tried to download the latest Astronomy Cast which I'm guessing is the enhanced version (mp4), and I get the following error when I try to run it

Error -2041: an invalid sample description was found in the movie.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Phil M

Galaxy
2007-Feb-19, 10:40 PM
Hey PhilM,

I just downloaded the M4A (enhanced version) of Fermi's Paradox from the website, and I'm not having any issues with it.

Try downloading it again, but if you're still having issues do feel free to drop us an email at info@astronomycast.com

-Rebecca
AstronomyCast undergraduate "helpinator"

EricNau
2007-Feb-20, 12:57 AM
Yes, we're not putting the enhanced version into the feed directly. We'd like to get some feedback from people before we make a switch. If you go back to the Astronomy Cast episodes on the homepage, you'll see links for m4a for each episode.
Is there any way (at least for now) you could create a second feed, one enhanced and one regular mp3?

EricNau
2007-Feb-20, 05:49 AM
As a follow up to my last post, I tried one of the enhanced Podcasts for the first time (I didn't even know they existed until I found this thread!), and it worked perfectly on my iPod Nano.

...The only problem being it was listed under 'music' and not 'Podcasts,' because I had to add it to iTunes manually, and not through a Podcast feed.

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-26, 09:42 AM
Hello .

I just bought an Ipod, and Im still on the process of learning how to use it.
I want to download feeds from here and I just want to know where and how to start.

:D

EricNau
2007-Feb-26, 03:24 PM
Just go to the iTunes Store and search for Astronomy Cast. Once you find it (under the Podcasts section) hit the subscribe button. Then the episodes should sync with your iPod automatically each time you sync it.

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-27, 01:25 AM
Just go to the iTunes Store and search for Astronomy Cast. Once you find it (under the Podcasts section) hit the subscribe button. Then the episodes should sync with your iPod automatically each time you sync it.

Thanks Eric!

:)

gometricnow
2007-Feb-27, 01:41 AM
Has anyone else's iTunes not find and download this week's episode?

Fraser
2007-Feb-27, 01:56 AM
Mine worked. However, we've switched over to the new enhanced format with pretty piictures. Try unsubscribing and then subscribing in iTunes?

xandercom
2007-Feb-27, 02:14 AM
The latest podcast cant be listened to from the site or downloaded to work in media player. I dont own an ipod, and dont plan to as I use the mp3 player in my phone if/when i want to take music with me.
Am I missing something obvious here, or are us poor windows only users no longer able to listen?

:eh:

Fraser
2007-Feb-27, 02:36 AM
If you look at each entry on the site, there's a link to the MP3 version right beside the title. Click that and it should play. We're trying to synch things up so both versions are available to people.

Galaxy
2007-Feb-27, 04:21 AM
The latest podcast cant be listened to from the site or downloaded to work in media player. I dont own an ipod, and dont plan to as I use the mp3 player in my phone if/when i want to take music with me.
Am I missing something obvious here, or are us poor windows only users no longer able to listen?

:eh:

xandercom, you should be able to stream the episodes from the website. Just click on the link in the title bar for the format you want. If you want to stream the m4a to see the embedded images you'll need to have QuickTime player installed. Your browser will do the rest.

Additionally, you can always right-click on any link (mp3 or m4a) and choose "save link as". That function will download it to the folder of your choice and from there you can import it to your media player.

Please bear with us while we work out the kinks in the new format. We want to make sure everyone can get what they need but it's going to take some fiddling.

-Rebecca
Astronomy Cast student worker

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-27, 04:24 AM
If you look at each entry on the site, there's a link to the MP3 version right beside the title. Click that and it should play. We're trying to synch things up so both versions are available to people.

Mine isnt working here in the office.

IT Admin here blocked the Itunes where I went to subscribe.

:doh:

I have to try it again when I get home.

EricNau
2007-Mar-03, 07:42 AM
Not sure if it's possible, but would there be any way to update the enhanced feed to include all of the enhanced podcasts so far ...so those of us who are interested could have all of the enhanced version podcasts (episodes 22-25) for our Astronomy Cast collection? :)

Fraser
2007-Mar-03, 03:42 PM
You can just download them from the archive page.
http://www.astronomycast.com/archive/