PDA

View Full Version : Comets Colliding Inside the Helix Nebula

Fraser
2007-Feb-13, 01:50 AM
The latest photograph taken by the Spitzer Space Telescope shows a bizarre false colour view of the Helix Nebula. Located around 700 light years from Earth, in the constellation of Aquarius, this beautiful nebula used to be a star similar to our own Sun. ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/02/12/comets-colliding-inside-the-helix-nebula/)

BigDon
2007-Feb-13, 09:28 AM
Thank you Mr. Fraser.

I never knew of the Helix Nebula until those breathtaking Hubble pictures taken last century. I remember the feeling of awe reading about how most of those knots or "tadpoles" where several AU across and on average contained nearly a solar mass of water vapor and ice each.

Gardner L Friedlander
2007-Feb-13, 06:58 PM
Reading the original news release, it is clear that most of what we see is the emissions of the white dwarf exciting the gas previously ejected. They had to work diligently to separate out the IR signature of the comet dust!

Chuck176
2007-Feb-13, 11:13 PM
Colliding comets inside the Helix Nebula!!?? It simply doesn't seem logically possible to explain the enormous field of luminosity. Chuck L. Bloomingdale, IL

ArgoNavis
2007-Feb-14, 03:03 AM
I am having trouble understanding this. It doesn't seem credible.