PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Age

SkepticJ
2007-Feb-13, 10:01 PM
Hmmm, Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer is being turned into a mini-series on Sci-Fi (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=39447). Will it be terrible or great? No middle-ground allowed.

Matherly
2007-Feb-13, 10:17 PM
I'm an optimist.

Sci-Fi gave us the new Battlestar Galactica and Stagrgate: Atlantis. It also continued Stargate: SG-1 and imported Dr. Who for us. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to screw up Diamond Age, I just feel positive that they won't.

(On a side note, I loved Diamond Age. I read it after giving up on Snow Crash for being too goofy)

Forskern
2007-Feb-13, 10:51 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic too. While the SFX has to be "OK" for this to work, most of the weight will be on the actors' performances. With some look they'll be good. And the adaption is done by Stephenson himself.

Matherly: Yeah, it lacks that distinctive "Stephenson goofiness", it's almost like another author wrote it :surprised. On a more positive note though: he has been steadily improving since that dreadful Zodiac thingy (but DA is still his best).

Doodler
2007-Feb-13, 11:03 PM
I'm an optimist.

Sci-Fi gave us the new Battlestar Galactica and Stagrgate: Atlantis. It also continued Stargate: SG-1 and imported Dr. Who for us. I'm not saying that it would be impossible to screw up Diamond Age, I just feel positive that they won't.

(On a side note, I loved Diamond Age. I read it after giving up on Snow Crash for being too goofy)

And the Dune miniseries.

I give it 60/40 in favor of being good.

SkepticJ
2007-Feb-14, 04:00 AM

You're not big on satire, eh? Not everyone's shot of vodka I guess.

Matherly
2007-Feb-14, 12:48 PM
You're not big on satire, eh? Not everyone's shot of vodka I guess.

Eh. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not.

As you said, just not my shot of vodka. I think Stephenson is a good author, but I like my sci-fi to either be really serious (William Gibson) or really goofy (Douglas Adams) and I feel that Stephenson is too "inbetween" for me. *shrug*

ToSeek
2007-Feb-14, 08:11 PM
So long as it's not being done by the same people who do their movies.

Matherly
2007-Feb-14, 09:03 PM
So long as it's not being done by the same people who do their movies.

Didn't you hear, ToSeek? It going to be about a scientist that no one listens too trying to keep the Mouse Army (actual mice in this version) from overruning a remote town with a hillbilly sherrif who dies in a horribly ironic way (my vote is cheese related) :D