PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse Coming on March 3, 2007

Fraser
2007-Feb-14, 01:52 AM
Skywatchers in Eastern North America, Europe, Africa and parts of Asia are about the be treated to one of the most beautiful events in the night sky: ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/02/13/lunar-eclipse-coming-on-march-3-2007/)

chrix
2007-Feb-14, 10:17 AM
Im staying in south east asia. I was wondering whether I could catch a glimpse of the lunar eclipse here?

Tog
2007-Feb-14, 10:21 AM
Little typo:

From the article:

For observers in Eastern North America, the eclipse will already be underway when the Moon rises, but observers East of the Great Lakes should be able to see the Moon completely obscured, and then exist the Earth’s shadow as the evening progresses.

Tobin Dax
2007-Feb-14, 05:44 PM
Im staying in south east asia. I was wondering whether I could catch a glimpse of the lunar eclipse here?

Maybe a bit. Look at this image here (http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2007Mar03T.GIF). If you're east of the line marked U2 on the map, you probably won't be able to tell the moon is being eclipsed before it sets. If you're west of the line, it should set fully eclipsed.

Fermbiz
2007-Feb-14, 05:58 PM
Hmmm...I live in NYC, looks like I will be able to see it. Hopefully it wont be a cloudy night.

lafinboylafbubba
2007-Feb-15, 12:10 PM
Hi Chrix

My skychart (cartes du ciel) shows
the eclipse in Kuala Lumpur. The
earth umbra is depicted by an
inner circle and outer circle.
When the moon is in the inner
circle it is fully eclipsed.

Your eclipse begins on 4th March
2007 at approx 03.51. The moon
is 45 degrees above the horizon.

It has entered the outer circle
at 05.01 and is approx 27 degrees
above the horizon.

It is fully eclipsed at approx 06-18
and is approx 9 degrees above the
horizon.

The moon sets on the horizon at
approx 06.55 fully eclipsed.

So my guess is that you will see
the full eclipse but it's going
to be low in the sky. You will
only get half an hour before it
sets.

Should be a nice one though

gGriffeth
2007-Feb-15, 01:46 PM
Oh Boy! Can't miss this. Time to break out the telescope.

pulsarX
2007-Feb-17, 03:20 PM
Looks like i'm getting a good view of the eclipse from New Delhi in India. At what time is it startin' and endin' anyway?

gGriffeth
2007-Feb-17, 06:59 PM
Eastern time is 6:20 and it well run bout 6 hours.

Grand_Lunar
2007-Feb-20, 12:46 AM
I hope it's clear that night. I don't recall seeing an eclipse in a while.

closetgeek
2007-Feb-20, 06:46 PM
Thanks, looks like I have another event to plan with my kiddies. that is if it isn't raining. With any luck we will be able to see more than the last meteor shower.

Skywatchers in Eastern North America, Europe, Africa and parts of Asia are about the be treated to one of the most beautiful events in the night sky: ...

Read the full blog entry (http://www.universetoday.com/2007/02/13/lunar-eclipse-coming-on-march-3-2007/)

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-21, 01:21 AM

I'll be looking forward for that night.

Dont wanna miss the event.

:)

Jakenorrish
2007-Feb-26, 12:51 PM
Well, I forecast rain for Wales, it usually does when an eclipse is due. I've seen one in the last 10 years uninterrupted from start to finish. Doh!

lafinboylafbubba
2007-Mar-03, 01:32 AM
It rained all night. Not even a glimpse!

Tobin Dax
2007-Mar-03, 06:53 PM
It rained all night. Not even a glimpse!

Hope it's not true tonight. The eclipse will start in a couple hours.

lafinboylafbubba
2007-Mar-03, 07:16 PM
Good clear skies 52 degrees North in England.
It's going to be a good one. Got my camera
ready and heading out into the country in
an hour

Jakenorrish
2007-Mar-03, 07:47 PM
Well, its about fourty minutes until we begin. The sky is as clear as it has been in months. I've got a couple of mates coming around for a lunar eclipse party. Keep your fingers crossed for us folks! I'm so excited, my stomach is full of butterflies!

Tobin Dax
2007-Mar-03, 08:53 PM
Good for you guys. It's cloudy with snow flurries here. It has about two hours to clear up, or we're not going to get to go show the eclipse to a bunch of students.

It was clear last night around midnight, and it's supposed to be clear tomorrow, just not today. :evil:

Puffin
2007-Mar-03, 09:52 PM
Oooh, it's so beautiful...

Moose
2007-Mar-03, 10:45 PM
Nearly fully eclipsed already. I've never seen it this early before.

Maksutov
2007-Mar-04, 12:51 AM
It rose as it was just coming out of totality here. A peculiar sight to see a "crescent" Moon in the east just after sunset!

From the brightness and red coloring of the umbra, totality must have been quite a treat.

Jakenorrish
2007-Mar-04, 02:23 PM
Totality was beautiful. The whole process was spectacular, but when it went total, the only word to do it justice is breathtaking! The moon was more of a coppery red, and due to observing conditions here was as good an eclipse as I've observed in the last decade. The way that it seemed to be hanging in the sky against the background of stars was awesome.

Whirlpool
2007-Mar-06, 10:30 AM
I didnt see it here.

:(

closetgeek
2007-Mar-06, 03:37 PM
well I completely forgot. Saturday was kind of rough on me so my brain was oatmeal by sundown. Very disappointed