PDA

View Full Version : origins

closetgeek
2007-Feb-16, 03:40 PM
So I was having a non-debative discussion with my friend. We agree to disagree on many aspects. Out of nowhere, he throws into the conversation, "Did you know that Ann Coulter disproved evolution?" Not looking to argue I just ask him to elaborate. He couldn't explain much that I didn't know to be inaccurate off the top of my head but I kept my mouth shut. (Not looking to open an old can of Coulter worms, that's not what I am asking). He moves on to talk about a telescope that found the origin of light. I was looking for it as he was talking and found nothing even close. He told me I have to look up something about a cambrian telescope. Still nothing. Am I chasing my tail or did I miss something?

antoniseb
2007-Feb-16, 03:48 PM
We had a thread about Ann Coulter and Evolution. I don't have the link handy, but hopefully someone will. I think you can safely tell your friend that AC did not disprove it, as she is a columnist and opinion person. She might have cited someone else's line of reasoning that came to the conclusion that Evolution is wrong.

gGriffeth
2007-Feb-16, 03:50 PM
Ehhh no.....I don't think that they disproved evolution because that's like me disproving I'm not on the computer (you can't disprove something that's absolutely true.) and for the origin of light? I'm no expert, but I don't think they found the origin of light, I could be wrong though, I'll try looking it up.

hhEb09'1
2007-Feb-16, 04:21 PM
We had a thread about Ann Coulter and Evolution. I don't have the link handy, but hopefully someone will. I typed "Coulter" and "evolution" into the BAUT smearch engine, and even it found the Ann Coulter and evolution (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?p=802115#post802115) thread.

Disinfo Agent
2007-Feb-16, 04:49 PM
So I was having a non-debative discussion with my friend. We agree to disagree on many aspects. Out of nowhere, he throws into the conversation, "Did you know that Ann Coulter disproved evolution?" Not looking to argue I just ask him to elaborate.I would have just burst out laughing.

Gillianren
2007-Feb-16, 05:51 PM
To actually answer your question, no. The idea doesn't even actually make sense.

Ken G
2007-Feb-16, 06:37 PM
There must be some way you can make money off your friend's gullibility, if your ethics don't forbid it.

formulaterp
2007-Feb-18, 04:34 AM
He told me I have to look up something about a cambrian telescope.

That is one seriously old telescope.

hhEb09'1
2007-Feb-18, 09:44 AM
That is one seriously old telescope.Maybe he was talking about this telescope (http://brynjones.members.beeb.net/wastronhist/o_cardcity.html). :)

cran
2007-Feb-18, 05:57 PM
closetgeek: He moves on to talk about a telescope that found the origin of light. I've read media reports about newly commissioned telescopes ... and they frequently refer to "first light" - meaning, I presume, the first signals received by that instrument - I wonder if that is the source of your friend's misconception?

Ken G
2007-Feb-18, 06:41 PM
Maybe so. My theory is that he heard about light from the "first stars", which is the next big thing in optical astronomy.

closetgeek
2007-Feb-20, 03:56 PM
He has a lot of misconceptions. I pay careful attention not to argue a whole lot with him because, oddly, it is his way of thinking that draws me to him. I know about the whole Ann Coulter/evolution thread, I think it has the longest response list on the entire discussion board. It was the origin of light thing that had me questioning. Just because I can't find it, I can't justifiably dismiss the whole idea. I just hate not knowing what people are talking about. I am not looking to slam him with facts or prove him wrong, just curious if anyone knew what he was talking about.

I've read media reports about newly commissioned telescopes ... and they frequently refer to "first light" - meaning, I presume, the first signals received by that instrument - I wonder if that is the source of your friend's misconception?