PDA

View Full Version : Gravity - Inertia of Oscillation

Squashed
2007-Feb-20, 07:27 PM
In a discussion about a rotating star I began to wonder about the number of axes that an object can simultaneously rotate about ... which I think the answer is three.

In looking for the answer I read about the Gyroscope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrostat#Gyrostat) and the History of The Top (http://www.spintastics.com/HistoryofTop.asp).

This caused me to wonder ...

Oscillating motion: around a circle, linear back-and-forth, and other more complicated oscillating paths; will cause a gyroscopic effect upon the parent assembly.

If matter is composed of photons that are caught in an oscillating path then wouldn't that cause the mass-entity to exhibit an inertial tendency to remain motionless?

If so, then wouldn't this be a mechanism for gravity?

Peter Wilson
2007-Feb-21, 01:13 AM
How does that follow?

Squashed
2007-Feb-21, 03:04 AM
How does that follow?

Well, I was thinking that since the spinning axis of the gyroscope continues to spin, with the axis in the same orientation, no matter how the gyroscope is moved then ...

... if the oscillating path of the photon(s) that compose matter revolve about all three axes then the matter particle would resist motion and have a tendency to revert back to its prior state/position.

I am not sure if this effect would actually cause the matter to have the tendency to revert back to its original position but the matter-particle would seemingly have an inertial tendency to maintain its spatial orientation.

Gravity has been likened to inertia and so the thought struck me and so I brought it up.

This is all based upon the big if matter is composed of photons ... but I am not so sure about this supposition after my recent discussion about The Law of Conservation of Entity Count.

Squashed
2007-Feb-22, 02:54 PM
I was thinking about this some more and came to the realization that if a gyroscopic effect were caused by the oscillations on three axes then that still allows the coordinate origin to move; thus negating the gravitating effect.

But if that origin was following its own oscillation path as part of a larger system then maybe that would be gravity-like in its effects?